[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lovie Smith

CaptainHook

You just have to love blinded homers here at The Huddle and how they can rationalize everything and denigerate everyone else's accomplishments without batting an eye.

Smith won fair and square. Simth won against strong competition. No matter how much one may idolize one of the other competitors.... Smith won. And deservedly so.

1254009[/snapback]

Probably should read the whole thread there sky.

I started it. I said Lovie deserved to win. I was just defending Dungy's right to be in the running. Some people don't think he deserved to get any votes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started it.  I said Lovie deserved to win.  I was just defending Dungy's right to be in the running.  Some people don't think he deserved to get any votes.

1254019[/snapback]

Good God, that's not what I said. I said I didn't think it should have been that close, and that Saban, et al should have been up there over Dungy. An opinion...which Hook took exception to.

I started it.  I said Lovie deserved to win.  I was just defending Dungy's right to be in the running.  Some people don't think he deserved to get any votes.

1254019[/snapback]

I know you did Cap'n. It's just that the more you posted the more it appeared that you were heading toward the Dungy should've won camp.

Just like I believe you took msaints post wrong... I probably took you wrong. I will re-read them.

(Must point out though, that at no time did I call you ignorant.) :D

And Belichick managed to win 10 games with 47 different starters and 13 different players in the secondary. All Tony did was plug and play his all-star team

1253538[/snapback]

What homer glasses am I wearing? Man, you're just flailing away now....:D

1254034[/snapback]

:D

Why is this guy called Lovie? What's his real name? I guess you have to be pretty tough to go through life in football with a name like Lovie.

1254020[/snapback]

I'm 99% sure that IS his real name.

I know you did Cap'n. It's just that the more you posted the more it appeared that you were heading toward the Dungy should've won camp.

Just like I believe you took msaints post wrong... I probably took you wrong. I will re-read them.

(Must point out though, that at no time did I call you ignorant.) :D

1254041[/snapback]

No. I do not feel Dungy should have won. I feel Lovie deserved the award. I DO feel that Dungy should have finished second, though, ahead of Saban, Lewis, Gibbs, Belichick, and for heavens sake, Tice.

:D

1254046[/snapback]

This AFTER I'd listed five other coaches ahead of him. In the words of Craig Kilborn: "Nice try, sparky...nice try."

Edited by msaint

No.  I do not feel Dungy should have won.  I feel Lovie deserved the award.  I DO feel that Dungy should have finished second, though, ahead of Saban, Lewis, Gibbs, Belichick, and for heavens sake, Tice.

1254054[/snapback]

But he did.

Smith 24.5 votes

Dungy 20.5 votes

Bellichick 2 votes

CoughlinLewis,and Holmgren 1 vote each

I'm 99% sure that IS his real name.

1254048[/snapback]

Add the missing 1%. His parents were expecting a girl and had the name Lovenia (or similar) already picked out. When it turned out to be a boy, they went, inexplicably, with Lovie.

As in Mr Cash's A Boy Named Sue, it must surely have toughened Lovie up at school, but I still think his parents were nuts.

But he did. 

Smith 24.5 votes

Dungy 20.5 votes

Bellichick 2 votes

CoughlinLewis,and Holmgren 1 vote each

1254064[/snapback]

Geez people. Read the thread. Msaint does not think Dungy should have finished second. That is what we are discussing.

This AFTER I'd listed five other coaches ahead of him. In the words of Craig Kilborn: "Nice try, sparky...nice try."

1254058[/snapback]

As a Bears fan. I'm pleased about Smith getting it and I think he should have. However, I have to say that Belichuckles has done a wondrous job in the face of an extraordinary injury list and the Pats could well go all the way, judging by last night's efficient demolition.

Geez people.  Read the thread. I Did!

Msaint does not think Dungy should have finished second.  So he's not entitled to an opinion?

1254069[/snapback]

As a Bears fan. I'm pleased about Smith getting it and I think he should have.  However, I have to say that Belichuckles has done a wondrous job in the face of an extraordinary injury list and the Pats could well go all the way, judging by last night's efficient demolition.

1254073[/snapback]

Agreed. After going through all the injuries, the Pats certainly seem to have gotten their sh!t together at the right time of the season.

of course he's entitled to his opinion. Aren't we all? Isn't that what a message board is all about? Msaint felt that Dungy came in second in part due to what happened to his son. I think that is ridiculous. He then says he has an all-star team and acts like Dungy had no contribution to making those players what they are. Which I think is equally ridiculous.

Horrible tragedy with his son aside, I'm honestly surprised Dungy came in 2nd, and that it was THAT close a vote.

1253538[/snapback]

This doesn't imply that the James Dungy's death had nothing to do with him coming in second, possible getting some sympathy votes?

I'd have given it to Saban,

1253538[/snapback]

Weak division. Didn't make the play-offs.

Marvin Lewis

1253538[/snapback]

won their division with a lot of All-Star talent on offense (Palmer, C. Johnson, R. Johnson, plus two very good tackles). Unable to improve the defense. Who does that sound like? Oh, Dungy, the last few years. I guess Dungy is owed a couple more close 2nd place finishes if this is the criteria for Coach of the Year.

Del Rio

1253538[/snapback]

Lost to Dungy twice. Wild Card team. Defense underperformed, IMO. Unable to establish a consistent running game or solid offensive line play.

even Gibbs before Dungy.

1253538[/snapback]

Doesn't Gibbs have All-Star talent? Portis, Moss, and Samuels on offense. LaVar Arrington, Marcus Washington, and Sean Taylor on defense? Plus they were the last team to qualify for the play-offs as the sixth seed.

Heck, Mike "Lumpy Rutherford" Tice managed to get the Vikes close to the playoffs despite all the BS that went on there.

1253538[/snapback]

This made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

And Belichick managed to win 10 games with 47 different starters and 13 different players in the secondary.

1253538[/snapback]

Maybe he should start picking some more sturdier players. He should be good at playing the injury game. They've been doing it for three years. Fourth seed. If there had been a decent team in that division, I'm not sure New England makes it to the play-offs.

All Tony did was plug and play his all-star team (a credit to the Colts front office for assembling a great squad). Yes, he had to answer incessant reporter questions about going undefeated, and he faced some terrible off-field adversity at the end of the season.

1253538[/snapback]

Again mentioning what happened with the son. He was a candidate for coach of the year before that happened. Why does Dungy not get any credit for assembling that "great squad"? He is instumental in choosing who the Colts draft. Common knowledge in Indy that he wanted Freeney while Polian wasn't so sure.

Plus, he went 14-2, best record in the NFL. The Colts were undefeated for 13 weeks and clinched everthing of value. The defense was VASTLY improved from last year. There is NO WAY you can put the 6 guys you mentioned ahead of him.

This made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

1254225[/snapback]

I think given the context of what his team went through this year, from the Whizzinator, trading Moss' irreplacable talent, losign Birk, the Love Boat fiasco, losing Culpepper and the terrible start he CERTAINLY deserved fair consideration for almost squeaking into the playoffs.

I still think he coaches like a chuckle-head, but even I was impressed and surprised at what he was able to pull off.

I think given the context of what his team went through this year, from the Whizzinator, trading Moss' irreplacable talent, losign Birk, the Love Boat fiasco, losing Culpepper and the terrible start he CERTAINLY deserved fair consideration for almost squeaking into the playoffs.

I still think he coaches like a chuckle-head, but even I was impressed and surprised at what he was able to pull off.

1254240[/snapback]

Why did he get fired? It would have been a riot if he finished in the top 5 for coach of the year and got canned the day the season ended.

Edited by CaptainHook

Msaint felt that Dungy came in second in part due to what happened to his son.

1254092[/snapback]

Don't you f'n dare imply that, Hook. Never did I say that he came in second because of his "sympathy votes" for his son. That's an outrageous and disgraceful implicaiton. :D

And lemme get this straight: it's OK for you to back up/support your argument for TD with facts and stats (13-0, 29th ranked defense in 2005, etc.), but when I mention BB using 47 diff starters (13 in the secondary) as some criteria for his receiving some votes, I'm nothing but a homer? Dude, let's just stop this now. I didn't think Dungy deserved as many votes as he got because, yes, I think his coaching job was far easier than, say, Saban's or Lewis's. It's not like Dungy was 4-12 the year before (like, say, the Dolphins, who improved from 4 to 9 wins). He had a 12-4 team, had all the horses to make a run like that again, and then Polian gives him Corey Simon as a little gift (much like BB got when we got Dillon)....but you do think he deserved as many votes as he got. End of story. Time to move on.

Edited by msaint

Don't you f'n dare imply that, Hook. Never did I say that he came in second because of his "sympathy votes" for his son. That's an outrageous and disgraceful implicaiton. :D

And lemme get this straight: it's OK for you to back up/support your argument for TD with facts and stats (13-0, 29th ranked defense in 2005, etc.), but when I mention BB using 47 diff starters (13 in the secondary) as some criteria for his receiving some votes, I'm nothing but a homer? Dude, let's just stop this now. I didn't think Dungy deserved as many votes as he got because, yes, I think his coaching job was far easier than, say, Saban's or Lewis's...you do think he deserved as many votes as he got. End of story. Time to move on.

1254344[/snapback]

Then why mention it twice? You even said the only hardships he had to deal with were whether or not to bench his starters and the death of his son? What is that supposed to mean? You act as if those two spots of adversity are the only two things you can judge his job as a coach on. I've got an idea, let's judge them by their team's performance on the field, with the players they had. You brought James Dungy's death into this, how else should it be taken?

You started the homer comments as well, not me. A guy who coached up his defense, vastly improving them, all the while leading his team to the best record in the NFL and a shot at an undefeated season, deserves each and every vote he got. More than Saban, Gibbs, Belichick, and definitely Tice.

Edited by CaptainHook