[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dishwashers

darin3

I've had a brand-new Whirlpool dishwasher in its box sitting in my dining room area for a couple of months now, as I've had a heck of a time finding a good contractor to come to my place to evaluate the situation... which is, the Best Buy installer wasn't able to get my current POS dishwasher out. It appears that the dishwasher was installed before my bamboo flooring went in. So I need someone to come out, pull back the bamboo, pull out the old dishwasher, and install the new one. Well, turns out that even if I get the old one out, the new one I bought is still about 1/8" too tall. :D

So, anyone have some good working knowledge of dishwasher brands/specs? Worth a shot. I've emailed several reputable brands to see if they have one that will fit. Essentially, it should be less than 33 3/4" in height. I've found some that are right at 33 3/4", but that would really be pushin' it.

Thanks in advance, and FYI, this was my first post with the wireless/laptop from the john. :D

I've had a brand-new Whirlpool dishwasher in its box sitting in my dining room area for a couple of months now, as I've had a heck of a time finding a good contractor to come to my place to evaluate the situation... which is, the Best Buy installer wasn't able to get my current POS dishwasher out.  It appears that the dishwasher was installed before my bamboo flooring went in.  So I need someone to come out, pull back the bamboo, pull out the old dishwasher, and install the new one.  Well, turns out that even if I get the old one out, the new one I bought is still about 1/8" too tall.  :D

So, anyone have some good working knowledge of dishwasher brands/specs?  Worth a shot.  I've emailed several reputable brands to see if they have one that will fit.  Essentially, it should be less than 33 3/4" in height.  I've found some that are right at 33 3/4", but that would really be pushin' it. 

Thanks in advance, and FYI, this was my first post with the wireless/laptop from the john.  :D

1282034[/snapback]

24" wide?

Yup.  :D

Here's the one that's sitting in my dining room:  Whirlpool :D ... the black on stainless one...

1282045[/snapback]

Not sure but you might get an additional 1/4" if you remove the feet altogether and then level it with shims. I don't know where I heard this, but a good plumber/installer may at least be able to confirm or deny that as a possibilty.

Is removing the couter top too much work? Could you post some pics showing the opening? You may have to cut off the legs/feet of the old unit, prior to it's removal.

Not sure but you might get an additional 1/4" if you remove the feet altogether and then level it with shims.  I don't know where I heard this, but a good plumber/installer may at least be able to confirm or deny that as a possibilty.

Is removing the couter top too much work?  Could you post some pics showing the opening?  You may have to cut off the legs/feet of the old unit, prior to it's removal.

1282056[/snapback]

Yeah the max I'm allowed would be after removing the feet... Countertop would be a BEEYOTCH to remove. One-piece sink/counter Corian. Lemme see if I already have a photo.

Wow...this is a toughy.  Seems like they are all too tall.  There has to be some low profile unit out there though...may pay a premium for it.

1282060[/snapback]

I'm hoping. And would prefer to steer clear of paying more than I have to, as I'll probably be moving in a few months. I may just have to bite the bullet and leave the POS in and handwash most items. In fact, I just went and checked out the clean dishes... used a different type of detergent (gel) and the dishes look alright... :D

Not sure but you might get an additional 1/4" if you remove the feet altogether and then level it with shims.  I don't know where I heard this, but a good plumber/installer may at least be able to confirm or deny that as a possibilty.

Is removing the couter top too much work?  Could you post some pics showing the opening?  You may have to cut off the legs/feet of the old unit, prior to it's removal.

1282056[/snapback]

Yep, they all come with adjustable legs, just take them completely out and you'll have the room you need with your current model. As far as getting the old one out, be easy enough to unscrew the countertop and shim up an inch or so just to get the wiggle room you need to take old one out. Don't worry about the plumbing busting, just run some water when your done and you may have to tighten the trap a bit, that's it.

Edited by theeohiostate

Check these out.  Very pricey IIRC, but we have their washer/dryer combo, excellent quality.

Fisher/Paykel

1282079[/snapback]

Hmmm, these look like they might work. :D Will check 'em out, thanks RR.

Yep, they all come with adjustable legs, just take them completely out and you'll have the room you need with your current model.  As far as getting the old one out, be easy enough to unscrew the countertop and shim up an inch or so just to get the wiggle room you need to take old one out.

1282084[/snapback]

I wish it were that easy. The legs on the current one are either all the way down or are already off. Plus, the minimum height on the new one is still too tall, legs or not.

Here's a link for an online dealer. As I said they are pricey:

Price.....

ConsumerReports gave it a good rating, but said they needed more repairs. That could be to a lack of popularity due to their price.

My friend, you don't have many choices. As my obsession pointed out, they all seem to be 1/8-1/4" higher than you can use. I think the problem is that most manufacturers keep the same specs for appliances, due to archy standards. You can appreciate that. I won't ask the question, but the floor salespeople/installers should have thrown up a flag before the put in the floor. Ours did and convinced us that the original ceramic tile that we wanted would have given us a similar problem, because I wanted the tile under all appliances, so we went with a thinner tile.

Good Luck! If I can help, give me a holler!

rr26

Here's a link for an online dealer.  As I said they are pricey:

Price.....

ConsumerReports gave it a good rating, but said they needed more repairs.  That could be to a lack of popularity due to their price. 

My friend, you don't have many choices.  As my obsession pointed out, they all seem to be 1/8-1/4" higher than you can use.  I think the problem is that most manufacturers keep the same specs for appliances, due to archy standards.  You can appreciate that.  I won't ask the question, but the floor salespeople/installers should have thrown up a flag before the put in the floor.  Ours did and convinced us that the original ceramic tile that we wanted would have given us a similar problem, because I wanted the tile under all appliances, so we went with a thinner tile.

Good Luck!  If I can help, give me a holler!

rr26

1282177[/snapback]

:D Yeah that is out of my price range, unfortunately. If I were going to stay here at this condo, perhaps...

Thanks for the info... :D

I'm thinking you should have taken some measurements before purchasing a dishwasher :D

1282185[/snapback]

So you're taking my place as dodo of the day??? I played that role yesterday! :D

edit for:

dodo=dikhead

Edited by rocknrobn26

I've always gained that quarter inch by not having the flooring under the dishwasher. Usually the d/w is placed right on the slab which is about a 1/4 inch below the flooring. Is that not the setup you have?

In any event, whenever I have a problem that I don't know how to solve, I use it as an excuse to get my chainsaw out. I've never used a chainsaw to remove a dishwasher...let me know how it goes.

I'm thinking you should have taken some measurements before purchasing a dishwasher :D

1282185[/snapback]

Thanks, Captain Obvious. Do they give black belts for jaqassery? If so, you must be a third degree. I took the measurements prior to shopping, and I was told that I'd be able to adjust the "feet" and/or simply remove them. Unfortunately the Best Buy sales moran knew nothing about installation and I'm stuck with a dishwasher that's 1/8" too tall.

I've always gained that quarter inch by not having the flooring under the dishwasher.  Usually the d/w is placed right on the slab which is about a 1/4 inch below the flooring.  Is that not the setup you have? 

In any event, whenever I have a problem that I don't know how to solve, I use it as an excuse to get my chainsaw out.  I've never used a chainsaw to remove a dishwasher...let me know how it goes.

1282250[/snapback]

I'm guessing the flooring is already gone under there. It's a tight fit. I don't want to have to pay the $ to rip out the flooring in front of the dishwasher only to find that I can't get the new unit in. Thanks for the info though... I'll keep everyone posted :D

Edited by darin3

Thanks, Captain Obvious.  Do they give black belts for jaqassery?  If so, you must be a third degree.  I took the measurements prior to shopping, and I was told that I'd be able to adjust the "feet" and/or simply remove them.  Unfortunately the Best Buy sales moran knew nothing about installation and I'm stuck with a dishwasher that's 1/8" too tall.

1282274[/snapback]

Well I have to question the wisdom of taking the advice of a pimply faced teenager working at Best Buy.

hey darin

i don't sell dishwashers and am not a plumber, but i do design kitchens and also sell flooring. that being said, you're in trouble. as mentioned elsewhere, try taking the legs off the unit completely, and see where that gets you.

you seem to have one of two situations. Site built cabinets that are not 'standard' size. if this is the case, not much you can do short of hiring a carpenter to come in, pull the counters, shim under them, put them back and then hide the shims with some molding. Other possibility you seem to have would be flooring installed under your dw. If that's the case that's a classic rookie mistake(not saying by you). should have been caught by flooring salesperson, by the installer, etc along the way. If it's under the dw, one thing I could suggest is cutting the floor out, in just the srea under the dw (if that will get you the height you need, a straight cut along front of toe kick of two ajoining cabinets might achieve this) and installing a vinyl bamboo-look floor under the dw. we carry one from MetroFloor. Only an 1/8" thickness, would still give you the look of bamboo under the dw, but reduce your height enough to get the new one in.

Not an enviable situation to be. Good luck and let me know if there's anything else you need...if this helped at all...

Well I have to question the wisdom of taking the advice of a pimply faced teenager working at Best Buy.

1282282[/snapback]

Unfortunately, this is right, albeit too late to help Darin. Much better to assume whatever the Best Buy kid tells you is wrong.

1282282[/snapback]

Actually it was a woman in her late 30's. I know that most dishwashers are pretty much the same dimensions, and since I already HAVE a dishwasher in the spot, I figured it wouldn't be much of an issue. Thanks for your concern, though, Sensei.

hey darin

i don't sell dishwashers and am not a plumber, but i do design kitchens and also sell flooring. that being said, you're in trouble. as mentioned elsewhere, try taking the legs off the unit completely, and see where that gets you.

you seem to have one of two situations. Site built cabinets that are not 'standard' size. if this is the case, not much you can do short of hiring a carpenter to come in, pull the counters, shim under them, put them back and then hide the shims with some molding. Other possibility you seem to have would be flooring installed under your dw. If that's the case that's a classic rookie mistake(not saying by you). should have been caught by flooring salesperson, by the installer, etc along the way. If it's under the dw, one thing I could suggest is cutting the floor out, in just the srea under the dw (if that will get you the height you need, a straight cut along front of toe kick of two ajoining cabinets might achieve this) and installing a vinyl bamboo-look floor under the dw. we carry one from MetroFloor. Only an 1/8" thickness, would still give you the look of bamboo under the dw, but reduce your height enough to get the new one in.

Not an enviable situation to be. Good luck and let me know if there's anything else you need...if this helped at all...

1282647[/snapback]

I have some pretty good cabinet-making friends, I probably should have consulted with them first. I think I have several options here, and just need to find the best solution.

If nothing else, I'm returning the unit I have now (sigh, it woulda looked bitchin') and will get some Best Buy credit :D

darin,

i think you metioned that you had the guys from the manufacturer or retail store look at it for installation..........sorry, but those people can be clueless at times when it comes to troubleshooting anything out of the ordinary. I'd suggest calling a local plumbing company and tell them you want it installed, i think they'd be able to get it done, i've yet to go to any call and not be able to manage it.

darin,

i think you metioned that you had the guys from the manufacturer or retail store look at it for installation..........sorry, but those people can be clueless at times when it comes to troubleshooting anything out of the ordinary. I'd suggest calling a local plumbing company and tell them you want it installed, i think they'd be able to get it done, i've yet to go to any call and not be able to manage it.

1282730[/snapback]

Yeah the Best Buy installer was not very knowledgable. :D I had a general contractor - who is pretty experienced with appliance installs - come over, who confirmed that it's gonna be a tight fit (even with a shorter unit).

I may call a "higher-end" appliance store and see if they could send one of their more seasoned installers out.

And as a closing for this evening, I get too call Bunzie tomorrow night to discuss. :D