[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dishwashers

darin3

And as a closing for this evening, I get too call Bunzie tomorrow night to discuss.  :D

1282737[/snapback]

Keep us in touch. Bunz is great! She really knows her stuff. Let us know what she said.

I bought my parents a new dishwasher from Sears last Christmas Holiday season and it wouldn't fit. It was like 1/2" too tall IIRC. Had to return it and get the only model that would fit. I think it was Maytag that would only fit in the smaller hole. Check with Sears.

bamboo flooring? What are you, a panda?

1282867[/snapback]

Their using that stuff for everything. My wife saw faric and clothing made out of Bamboo! :D

Bamboo flooring is gorgeous....btw. :D

At any rate.....I want anyone doing a kitchen remodel to take away a lesson from this thread. There are really only two correct ways to do a kitchen to head off problems like this. You either A). Do the whole kitchen in your finished flooring, then install base cabinets, etc......or B ). Use plywood templates for the cabinetry/built in runs (and islands) at the same thickness as your finished flooring.

In most cases....B is preferable since you save a ton on flooring square footage under the cabinetry. But A makes sense in a few applications as well.....ie. at Rajn's where we are tiling on a concrete slab and want to ensure that if a flood happens again, they won't have to replace flooring.

By using plywood under the cabinet runs....everything installed will be at the same level (height) as the finished floor. The toekick trimwork covers the transition perfectly. So if you want to update or replace appliances 10 years down the road...you simply slide out the old.....and slide in the new. :D Also, this way you can replace cabinets without destroying floors and vice verse (assuming you don't want to actually change the layout completely). Two exceptions here are refridgerators and free-standing stoves....they should be on finished flooring, of course. :D

So many times in kitchen remodels....we see that the whole thing has to be gutted because of built up flooring issues, when the cabinets or flooring surfaces are perfectly fine. Generally not too bad a problem if you are replacing countertops. But not all kitchen renos need to be total gutjobs. And it would be nice if a homeowner has the option to preserve what they already like about the kitchen or can live with for now. This is a bonus for people on tight budgets....change one thing at a time as you can afford to. Cabinets and counters one year......then upgrade appliances a few years from now.

Most built in appliances are made to specs that take into account that you are installing them next to standard 34.5" cabinets. Hence....the 33 7/8" dishwasher sliding under a countertop with a 1/2" bullnose overhang, for example.

Now....none of this actually helps Darin at this point.....lol......let's hope we can work out a solution tonight. :D

Just a little tip from your Auntie Bunz. :D

Edited by SteelBunz

I bought my parents a new dishwasher from Sears last Christmas Holiday season and it wouldn't fit.  It was like 1/2" too tall IIRC.  Had to return it and get the only model that would fit.  I think it was Maytag that would only fit in the smaller hole.  Check with Sears.

1283361[/snapback]

Thanks Timmay I will certainly check 'em out.

As it turns out, I went to Sears prior to Best Buy, and the dishwasher salesman there was straight out of Best Buy University. He had no business being a Sears. :D I purchased a washer/dryer from them and then went to BB for the dishwasher.

Hmmmmmm.  Something about this thread just doesn't smell quite right.    :D

Oh, there it is!  :D  :D

1283381[/snapback]

:D

Bamboo flooring is gorgeous....btw.  :D

Just a little tip from your Auntie Bunz.  :D

1283500[/snapback]

:D:D