[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Rules Question

Easy n Dirty

Playing in a touch football game yesterday, here's what happened - 4th down from about the 15-yard line, receiver is being ridden pretty hard by the defender and steps out of the back of the end zone. He then steps back into the end zone and catches a TD pass. Ref had thrown his hat when the receiver stepped out the back of the end zone and called a penalty.

Putting aside whether the defender forced the receiver out (I assume that's a judgment call for the ref to make), what is the penalty supposed to be here? The ref yesterday penalized us 10 yards and then gave the other team first down going the other way (essentially making it a loss-of-down situation). I thought it was only a 5-yarder, although I'm not sure of that part, but I certainly did not think this was a loss-of-down type penalty. I thought he should have walked off five yards and then retry on 4th down (or punt, if we chose to).

Anyone know the right answer here? Thanks.

Depends of the rules of that league.  Illegal touching can be condidered loss of down if those rules say so.

Outside the pros, stepping out of bounds makes you ineligable, even if pushed out.

1283734[/snapback]

I don't really understand what you're saying here. The first part I get, obviously if the touch football league has a specific rule on this (which it doesn't), then that's that.

The second part, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - are you saying that in a college game, the receiver is considered ineligible even if pushed out, whereas in the pros the ref makes a judgment call in that situation and therefore the receiver may still be eligible?

:D

I don't really understand what you're saying here.  The first part I get, obviously if the touch football league has a specific rule on this (which it doesn't),  then that's that. 

The second part, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - are you saying that in a college game, the receiver is considered ineligible even if pushed out, whereas in the pros the ref makes a judgment call in that situation and therefore the receiver may still be eligible?

1283765[/snapback]

In the pros, yes. In college, unless there was a recent rule change, that is still the case.

I don't really understand what you're saying here.  The first part I get, obviously if the touch football league has a specific rule on this (which it doesn't),  then that's that. 

1283765[/snapback]

Rules are often different across the different levels of play (high school, college, professional) and can often be different across different leagues/cities/states.

So your league may have adopted the college rules, but then has specific exceptions. This is common place.

Rules are often different across the different levels of play (high school, college, professional) and can often be different across different leagues/cities/states.

So your league may have adopted the college rules, but then has specific exceptions.  This is common place.

1283771[/snapback]

Understood - but the issue in question here is not whether or not the receiver was forced out - this is debatable and is a judgment call (I think), so there's no black-and-white answer to that question. My question was, once the ref decided that it was a penalty (ineligible receiver), how should it have been enforced?

I do not believe that this constitutes a loss-of-down penalty in either the NFL or in the NCAA. And based on the link provided by BYoder, I am now certain that this is the case for the NFL.

The league we play in does not have a specific rule in this case, and the general procedure in this league is that we defer to NFL rules if the league does not have anything specific on it, so it looks to me like the ref blew it yesterday. Not a big deal, it was not a close game, I was just curious.

Ref cannot make judgment calls on whether or not he was "forced" out of bounds in the NFL. If a player goes out of bounds on his own, or is forced out, he is ineligible. It should have been a 5 yard penalty and a replay of fourth down.

The only penalties that involve a loss of down are a forward pass thrown beyond the line of scrimmage and intentional grounding.