[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Inspired by BigMike's thread

yo mama

So I recently moved back to CA and bought a house. A nice house, but an old house. Built around 1916; solid construction.

<Lesson Number 1: With older homes like that there is always a couple of metaphorical rats' nests that you're bound to uncover on a simple job that will quickly spiral out of control. Guaranteed.>

So I figure I just want to repaint the kids' room. Horrible colors; as if somebody blew up a carton of rainbow sherbet ice cream in there. No biggy, prep Friday night, paint Saturday night, clean up Sunday morning, and still be done in time for the Super Bowl.

<Lesson Number 2: It is generally unwise to begin a new project on Super Bowl Saturday merely "assuming" you'll have it wrapped up in time to go to your pals Super Bowl party the next day.>

Except, at the last minute, I figured I'd tear down the old, crappy crown molding and hang up something new real slick stuff that was more appropriate for the room. 'Cause nothing dresses up a room like some nice crown molding.

<Lesson Number 3: Unless you've got extra time budgeted, it is generally unwise to needlessly expand your simple project beyond its initial scope. See Lesson Number 1.>

So after tearing down the old crown molding some paint starts cracking. I pick at it a little and it starts coming off the ceiling in sheets; like fruit roll ups. No biggy. I'll just scrape it all off, spackle the cracks, then paint. Except, there was like 80 year old wall paper under the paint. The putty got the wallpaper wet, which then began to bubble and fall to the ground in clumps. Not good. Under the wall paper I notice I've got lath and plaster ceilings; not sheet rock. And its cracking horribly (which the wall paper had been hiding). Grrr. Things were not going as planned.

Fine. I decide to just hang sheet rock on the ceiling over the lath and plaster, float and tape it, and it'd look slick. Great. Except now its like 2pm on Saturday, I don't have all the supplies I need, and I haven't even started painting yet.

After calling some guys I know to consult (and a couple beers) I figure I'll at least prime the walls that day, then go to Home Depot and get the remaining supplies I need. I've already written the Super Bowl off in my mind, as Sunday would be reserved for hanging drywall.

So I get to painting. And I'm pretty irked at this point, not to mention on beer #3 (or #4). Then I get to yelling at God: "Why must you make home improvements so hard on me! Can't you just once do me a favor and make the home project easier than I though it would be!!!" No response... back to painting.

About 15 minutes go by and door bell rings. I can't freakin' believe it. What now!?!?

It's the Mormons. I'm about ready to go balistic.

After explaining to them that I was in the middle of painting, having a bad day, and that I was already fine with my brand of God, I tried to politely excuse myself. So what do these punks do? They offer to HELP me paint.

I thought long and hard about whether to enlist their support. I sure could have used it. But at the end of the day, there was only one conclusion I could draw from the whole experience, which was Lesson #4: when it comes to home improvements, the Lord has one sick sense of humor.

Edited by yo mama

:D That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. I feel your pain. But I do not share your patience. I undertook a heck of a project in repainting my bathroom this time last year. Found out that "foil-style" wallpaper is a BEEYOTCH to remove. I gave up and had a painting contractor come out to finish the job. His two helpers tore through it like a couple of Mexican-Tasmanian Devils in an afternoon.

Good stuff, YM. :D:D

When I got to the doorbell ringing/it's the Mormons part, I immediately thought "Put them to work!".  You should have taken them up on their offer.

1312060[/snapback]

:D Believe me, I considered it. But I'd have had to listen to them proselytize, which was a deal-breaker.

:D Believe me, I considered it.  But I'd have had to listen to them proselytize, which was a deal-breaker.

1312070[/snapback]

Actually, you could have told them they could come in and help if they were willing to talk Football and Football only. They would have done it to show you the fine Mormon example of hard work and kinsmenship they are capable of. Then they would have come back next weekend and you could have either listened to them cuz they were helpful or ran them off by answering the door naked holding a beer.

So I recently moved back to CA and bought a house.  A nice house, but an old house.  Built around 1916; solid construction.

So after tearing down the old crown molding some paint starts cracking.  I pick at it a little and it starts coming off the ceiling in sheets; like fruit roll ups.  No biggy.  I'll just scrape it all off, spackle the cracks, then paint.  Except, there was like 80 year old wall paper under the paint.  The putty got the wallpaper wet, which then began to bubble and fall to the ground in clumps.  Not good.  Under the wall paper I notice I've got lath and plaster ceilings; not sheet rock.  And its cracking horribly (which the wall paper had been hiding).  Grrr.  Things were not going as planned.

Fine.  I decide to just hang sheet rock on the ceiling over the lath and plaster, float and tape it, and it'd look slick.  Great.  Except now its like 2pm on Saturday, I don't have all the supplies I need, and I haven't even started painting yet. 

1312033[/snapback]

If it was built in 1916 that may not be plaster on your walls, it may be asbestos. I would find out, if it is asbestos I recommend going over the top of it with something else . tearing it out will just get it into the air for you to breath.

If it was built in 1916 that may not be plaster on your walls, it may be asbestos. I would find out, if it is asbestos I recommend going over the top of it with something else . tearing it out will just get it into the air for you to breath.

1312081[/snapback]

Oh Squeegie.

1312081[/snapback]

Well, I certainly didn't want to tear it out, as that would be more work that it is worth. But I thought it was plaster, as it was crumbly like coarse cement. But now you've got me all concerned.

How can I tell one way or ther other? Not much of it is exposed, as I didn't bother trying to remove the ancient wallpaper covering it up. And I've already started sheet rocking over it, anyways.

Edited by yo mama

Then they would have come back next weekend and you could have ... ran them off by answering the door naked holding a beer.

1312078[/snapback]

Funny, that's how my dad ran the Witnesses off when I was a kid. Except, he answered the door naked with a shotgun. True story.

Well, I certainly didn't want to tear it out, as that would be more work that it was worth.  But I thought it was plaster, as it was crumbly like coarse cement.  But now you've got me all concerned.

How can I tell one way or ther other?  Not much of it is exposed, as I didn't bother trying to remove the ancient wallpaper covering it up.  And I've already started sheet rocking over it, anyways.

1312096[/snapback]

Have an asbestos contractor come out and look at it. They should be able to tell right away. For more info, check here...

Well, I certainly didn't want to tear it out, as that would be more work that it was worth.  But I thought it was plaster, as it was crumbly like coarse cement.  But now you've got me all concerned.

How can I tell one way or ther other?  Not much of it is exposed, as I didn't bother trying to remove the ancient wallpaper covering it up.  And I've already started sheet rocking over it, anyways.

1312096[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken all plaster used in houses had asbestos in it back then. I would just continue to go over it with drywall or have a company come in and tell you something.

If I am not mistaken all plaster used in houses had asbestos in it back then. I would just continue to go over it with drywall or have a company come in and tell you something.

1312111[/snapback]

Lesson Number 1 comes back to bite me in the ass, YET AGAIN!!!

Hey, I wonder if those mormon kids would be willing to come back and hang sheet rock? :D

Edited by yo mama