[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Upgrade your Firefox

Guest Sores

National Cyber Alert System

Cyber Security Alert SA06-038A

Multiple Vulnerabilities in Mozilla Products

Original release date: February 7, 2006

Last revised: --

Source: US-CERT

Systems Affected

* Mozilla web browser

* Mozilla mail client

* Firefox web browser

* Thunderbird mail client

Overview

By taking advantage of one or more vulnerabilities in Mozilla

products, an attacker may be able to take control of your computer.

Solution

Upgrade to the latest version of Firefox

Mozilla has released an updated version of Firefox to correct these

problems.

Description

There are vulnerabilities in various features of the Mozilla web

browser, Mozilla email client, Firefox web browser, and Thunderbird

email client. Some of the vulnerabilities are connected to the way

the application handles URLs or images. In one instance, an

attacker could cause an application to crash or could take control

of your computer by convincing you to view a malicious web site or

email message.

For more technical information, see US-CERT Technical Alert

TA06-038A.

References

* Mozilla Foundation Security Advisory 2006-04 -

<http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/mfsa206-04.html >

* US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-038A -

<http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA05-038A.html >

* US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#592425 -

<http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/592425 >

* US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#759273 -

<http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/759273 >

I have 1.5.0.1. Is that the correct upgrade?

1312092[/snapback]

Not sure. I don't have it on my work PC. I know I just upgraded Firefox last week at home.

I have 1.5.0.1. Is that the correct upgrade?

1312092[/snapback]

Not sure.  I don't have it on my work PC.  I know I just upgraded Firefox last week at home.

1312094[/snapback]

1.5.0.1 is the very latest version. You're cool.

Any advanced Firefox user (or general IT stud) able to diagnose this? I had Firefox on my machine a few months ago. My "profiles" file got corrupt, and affected both my Thunderbird and Firefox. I had a "computer consultant" come out and he was able to reinstall Thunderbird and retreive my "lost" emails... but wasn't able to get Firefox to install (some sort of error message during installation). Downloaded the latest version and got the following error message:

"Error occurred during installation - Firefox Browser: -231 IS_FILE"

Any clue what's up? I haven't Googled the error message yet tonight, but the "computer consultant" did a few months back when he was here and found nothing.

I -hate- IE, and would love to get Firefox back on my machine. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Any advanced Firefox user (or general IT stud) able to diagnose this?  I had Firefox on my machine a few months ago.  My "profiles" file got corrupt, and affected both my Thunderbird and Firefox.  I had a "computer consultant" come out and he was able to reinstall Thunderbird and retreive my "lost" emails... but wasn't able to get Firefox to install (some sort of error message during installation).  Downloaded the latest version and got the following error message:

"Error occurred during installation - Firefox Browser:  -231 IS_FILE"

Any clue what's up?  I haven't Googled the error message yet tonight, but the "computer consultant" did a few months back when he was here and found nothing.

I -hate- IE, and would love to get Firefox back on my machine.  Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

1312462[/snapback]

The -213 is just the serial number of a particular error. Others are "-214 DOES_NOT_EXIST" and "-202 ACCESS_DENIED". All are error trap returns. IS_FILE is an indicator of whether the file is a regular file or not. It returns a true/false answer. It's likely the file you downloaded became corrupt, or there is corruption on your hard drive.

Since you've had all these problems, your best bet may be to completely uninstall your old Firefox. Then start from scratch by downloading the latest version and installing that, along with Thunderbird.

This could cause some problems getting all your email stuff back into Thunderbird, but there may be a utility to do this.

If you're in a position to reformat your hard drive completely, that may be the best route to go.

The -213 is just the serial number of a particular error.  Others are "-214 DOES_NOT_EXIST" and "-202 ACCESS_DENIED".  All are error trap returns.  IS_FILE is an indicator of whether the file is a regular file or not.  It returns a true/false answer.  It's likely the file you downloaded became corrupt, or there is corruption on your hard drive.

Since you've had all these problems, your best bet may be to completely uninstall your old Firefox.  Then start from scratch by downloading the latest version and installing that, along with Thunderbird. 

This could cause some problems getting all your email stuff back into Thunderbird, but there may be a utility to do this.

If you're in a position to reformat your hard drive completely, that may be the best route to go.

1312487[/snapback]

That's the thing... according to my own research and the "consultant's" work, Firefox is 100% off my system. Perhaps I need to eliminate ALL things Mozilla, including Thunderbird, the profiles, etc. ??? :D

That's the thing... according to my own research and the "consultant's" work, Firefox is 100% off my system.  Perhaps I need to eliminate ALL things Mozilla, including Thunderbird, the profiles, etc.  ???  :D

1312665[/snapback]

Could be. If it's been removed from the registry and the folder structure 100%, there's not a lot else to be done. I found this on the Internet, in connection with a different installation error:

I have messed up my Firefox on many occassions and have found that

removing my profile information for Firefox solves the issue best.

Could be.  If it's been removed from the registry and the folder structure 100%, there's not a lot else to be done.  I found this on the Internet, in connection with a different installation error:

1312676[/snapback]

Actually it's not a huge deal. I have Firefox at work and on my laptop. I should just use my laptop more at home. If I have some time perhaps I'll investigate further. Thanks Ursa. :D

I upgraded mine last week at work and home. After hearing a lot of good things about it, mainly Ursa, I decided to look at Firefox again.

I've installed the IE tab extension which works with a lot of my work's web apps. The one thing I do miss is not having the Bookmarks "collapse" so that it only shows my most used links. Is there an extension for this or a setting that I'm missing in Firefox? I've searched the extensions on Firefox's web site, but could not find anything like this.

I upgraded mine last week at work and home. After hearing a lot of good things about it, mainly Ursa, I decided to look at Firefox again.

I've installed the IE tab extension which works with a lot of my work's web apps. The one thing I do miss is not having the Bookmarks "collapse" so that it only shows my most used links. Is there an extension for this or a setting that I'm missing in Firefox? I've searched the extensions on Firefox's web site, but could not find anything like this.

1312689[/snapback]

Don't know of one that does that. Might want to try organizing your bookmarks into a smallish number of categories at the top end and putting the links into categories, sub-categories and sub-sub-categories. I have 14 top level folders, and each spawns off it's own set of folders containing the actual links. I've got 500+ links, all easily accessible.

Don't know of one that does that.  Might want to try organizing your bookmarks into a smallish number of categories at the top end and putting the links into categories, sub-categories and sub-sub-categories.  I have 14 top level folders, and each spawns off it's own set of folders containing the actual links.  I've got 500+ links, all easily accessible.

1312706[/snapback]

That is my plan to organize my bookmarks in that fashion, but thought I would check in case there was an extension or setting that would mimic the IE 6 collapsing favorites.

Thanks Ursa. :D