[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huggins to KSU

Guest ksu70

Guest ksu70

This is like getting the player you love to hate on your team...you suddenly don't hate him anymore. I have never "hated" Bob Huggins. He seemed to get results every year at Cincy, it just also seemed to be under an ominous cloud. As a long-suffering K-State basketball fan, I think this is going to be a great hire for KSU. Maybe we will be able to beat KU in our house for the first time in umpteen years.

It has certainly created a buzz around K-State.

I am a KU fan, but I am also an old Big 8 fan, and I like to see those schools do something good to revive the rivalries. This hire DEFINITELY does that for KU and Mizzou for that matter.

Will be fun to watch the transformation of K-State as they get back to their proud history.

(I remember Ed Neely for crissakes) :D

Guest ksu70
The guy's a bum and harbors criminals, but might get you to the big dance for two years before he lands you on probation and leaves...

1388300[/snapback]

Maybe there comes a time when a man (school) has gotta do the right thing...and sell his soul to the devil.

Maybe there comes a time when a man (school) has gotta do the right thing...and sell his soul to the devil.

1388439[/snapback]

Article about this in the KC Star this morning, and comparing this hire to other similar hires in the past. Like Jim Harrick, Steve Fisher, George O'Leary, and others.

Mainly about how schools take a chance on a guy with a checkered past, and whether the potential reward is worth the risk.

whether the potential reward is worth the risk.

1388482[/snapback]

whether the shorter-term success is worth the longer-term penalty. :D

I still think the NCAA needs to find a way to have the punishment impact the coach who allowed at the time of the violations or crimes, rather than the kids/coaches who weren't involved suffer after the coach has jumped ship ahead of investigators for a book deal and a raise.

Guest ksu70
whether the shorter-term success is worth the longer-term penalty. :D

I still think the NCAA needs to find a way to have the punishment impact the coach who allowed at the time of the violations or crimes, rather than the kids/coaches who weren't involved suffer after the coach has jumped ship ahead of investigators for a book deal and a raise.

1388778[/snapback]

No doubt there is a checkered past, but, I am speaking from an uninformed position here, was his program ever put on any type of probation?

Personally, I think that the KSU athletic director will be taking an active role in the academic side of the equasion (or at least he has said that he will be), and that will limit some of the kids of kids that Huggins would have recruited previously but won't really be candidates going forward.

IMO, it's a good signing.

PS - It seems like about 1/2 of the "risky coaches" end up doing just fine in their new digs ... see Bobby Knight, et.al.

1388778[/snapback]

It's tough to punish a coach because he can always leave and go to a different school.

One recent case comes to mind in regards to attempting to punish coaches rather than players. Recently the NCAA ruled on the violations that Jim O'Brien committed at Ohio State and while they did not come down very hard on the Buckeyes they did rule that if O'Brien goes to a new school he, and the new school, will have to go before the committee to determine if any additional penalties will be imposed against O'Brien.

Edit to add: Link to infractions imposed against Jim O'Brien and Paul Biancardi

Edited by BYoder

Personally, I think that the KSU athletic director will be taking an active role in the academic side of the equasion (or at least he has said that he will be), and that will limit some of the kids of kids that Huggins would have recruited previously but won't really be candidates going forward.

IMO, it's a good signing.

PS - It seems like about 1/2 of the "risky coaches" end up doing just fine in their new digs ... see Bobby Knight, et.al.

1389441[/snapback]

You're comparing Bob Huggins to Bobby Knight? Calipari might be a better example, and the jury is still out on him.