[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any advice on how I can improve my team?

Well, you can definitely use a RB......I would try to sell Dayne if anyone in your league is high on him, I don't see him as the only starter on that team, he has had a chance to prove himself and never really did. Looks like TE's aren't mandatory, if that is the case, maybe package Dayne/Gates for a really good RB or a Top WR if possible. You have a good LB core, maybe even work one of them into a deal to get a RB or a decent WR(which I noticed more and more you are in need of a good one!), which should be your main priority.

True. Age has really caught-up to my team. I'm looking at the guy who has Larry Fitzgerald thinking that maybe an offer of Gates/Dayne or Gates/Barlow might be able to get him. I do have a litle flex with my LBs too and will only keep 3 come cutdown day, so could offer one of them too if it might help in a deal.

If you can give up Gates/Barlow for Fitz I would do it in a heartbeat...

Are TE's mandatory or not?

1497620[/snapback]

They aren't but if you have a stud TE in the league like Gates that is almost as good as having a runningback simply because he scores points consistently game after game, wheras a lot of good WRs have peaks and valleys which makes them less reliable (espectially if you have a few of those).

Right now I'm thinking maybe I could offer Gates for a top pick that could get me a guy like Vernon Davis, who I definitely think will be a stud as well. With Davis I would also get double scoring points anytime that I started Alex Smith, plus I could probably sneak another deal into it like Andre Davis for a third or 4th rounder in the upcoming draft. I also think Gates numbers are likely to take a bit of a hit with Rivers as their new QB.

Edited by Crazysight

They aren't but if you have a stud TE in the league like Gates that is almost as good as having a runningback simply because he scores points consistently game after game, wheras a lot of good WRs have peaks and valleys which makes them less reliable (espectially if you have a few of those).

Right now I'm thinking maybe I could offer Gates for a top pick that could get me a guy like Vernon Davis, who I definitely think will be a stud as well.  With Davis I would also get double scoring points anytime that I started Alex Smith, plus I could probably sneak another deal into it like Andre Davis for a third or 4th rounder in the upcoming draft.  I also think Gates numbers are likely to take a bit of a hit with Rivers as their new QB.

1497653[/snapback]

Gates' numbers might take a very little hit, but do you think that VDavis will be better than Gates with A.Smith throwing him the ball? If you trade Gates, you are definitely going in the wrong way if you end up with VDavis as his replacment......trade gates for a good RB with lots of upside or a top wr, not for an unproven TE with an very unproven QB.

Looks like it's a 3-horse race in 2006, between Concerned Citizens, Craven Morehead, and Honest Broker. Unless some major injuries happen, I don't think any other team can compare to these 3.

As for your team:

QB - Jake should be OK for another season or two. Maybe by then, Andrew Walter emerges or the 49'ers can reestablish some sort of a passing game. Brunell can be your bye week filler this year, assuming he doesn't lose his starting gig by week 9. If the rehab goes slowly to his finger, consider picking up Jason Campbell, as he is free on the WW in your league. Another option is trading Josh McCown for Kerry Collins. The Kitna owner may want him, and Kerry may be the starter in TEN this year. I don't see McCown holding any real long-term value, so short-term value (even just one year) is worth it, IMO.

RB - Pretty shaky corps here. If FWP can get near 300 carries, he'll be fine. If Ahman can get healthy, he's got another few yrs left. If Dayne becomes the feature RB in DEN, he'll be a worthy FF starter. Kevan is already in a RBBC, at best, in SF. Cobbs is a nice guy to own, as the DEN RB situation isn't completely ironed out yet. Najeh is also good to own, as you already have Ahman. Goings had his hurrah in 2004. He's a player worth swapping, IMO (perhaps for Jason Campbell). He holds no trade value, so you may as well get someone who may eventually pan out from the WW. I don't know what your draft picks are, but the RB's are picked pretty clean. Besides the rookies, there isn't much left.

WR - Should be decent this year, but need some youth. Treat Gates as a WR2 in your league, because he is worth that much. You have possibly 5 WR's worthy of WR2 or WR3 status in a 12-teamer - Engram (decent WR2 if DJax remains on the bench, decent WR3 if he holds off Burleson), Mason (solid WR2), Porter (shaky WR2, good WR3), Smith (shaky WR2, solid WR3), and Gates (solid WR2). Caldwell may turn out to be a nice surprise, but I doubt Price will ever be a worthy FF starter again.

K - Not much to say here. Well, you got Rackers.

I don't know IDP's, so I'll leave that to the pros.

Gates' numbers might take a very little hit, but do you think that VDavis will be better than Gates with A.Smith throwing him the ball?  If you trade Gates, you are definitely going in the wrong way if you end up with VDavis as his replacment......trade gates for a good RB with lots of upside or a top wr, not for an unproven TE with an very unproven QB.

1497678[/snapback]

I wouldn't have made a trade for A. Smith 2 months ago if I didn't believe in his ability. The way I see it Davis will definitely be the focal point in that offense from the very start. I believe in his abilty very much. He has the best raw combination of size and speed that I have ever seen in the years that I've been playing fantasy league football. He is supposed to have good hands too, and seems to be a good character guy.

The other reasons I'm considering that is because: 1. Like I said I would get double-points anytime Smith and Davis had a big game if they were both played together, which would give me an improved chance of winning weekly top scorer money. 2. Even though he's not much younger, Davis is younger (Gates will be 26 in 12 days) and has less mileage. 3. If I could find a taker I could also probably work in a deal involving andre davis and pick up a 4th rounder. Since I don't have a first rounder this year I'm really trying to get some extra mid-rounders, especially since this year's draft seems to be particularly deep. 4. It would mean I'd have one less player to cut come draft day, so I could hold onto somebody else too.

I totally believe that Davis is the real deal. The question then is do I believe in San Diego's offense more than San Francisco's. I do think that San Diego is likely to have a better offense this year due to the strength of their running game (unless LT goes out), however I don't like Philip Rivers and think Smith will be the better quarterback. If that's true than Davis should have more long-term potential.

It can be tough to get trades in my league though because participation from some of the members is poor.

What runningback do you see Jake that you think I might be able to get to improve my offense? The other consideration in making a combo trade of Dayne/Gates is that I don't have much (if any) real depth on my team to begin with.

Edited by Crazysight

Actually dirtyweasel my brother's team (Max Power) is really good. He would have LT along with Steven Jackson, Carnell WIliams, Samkon Gado, Kurt Warner, Roethlisberger, Chad Johnson, and a few others, but he traded him to concerned citizens (who finished dead-last last year) so that he could get the first pick in the draft and add Reggie Bush to that list. I upset my brother last year in the playoffs though and finished in 4 th place overall (my worst year actually. In 5 years I've never finished out of the top 4 and won the trophy twice. My team seems to be going down now however due to age, injuries, player movement, etc etc. so I'm trying to reverse that). Craven Morehead will probably stomp us all the way he has for 3 out of the 5 years we've played (the only two times he didn't finish in first he finished in second behind me).

Edited by Crazysight

This is the trade I just offered:

Coalition to stop BJ gave up Green, Ahman GBP RB;Gates, Antonio SDC TE

Craven Morehead gave up Lewis, Jamal BAL RB; Year 2007 Round 2 Draft Pick from Craven Morehead

I have too many "maybe's" on my team and figured that it might be a good idea to get some value for one of them in Ahman Green. If I get Lewis I can possibly use him as trade bait to get Vernon Davis and a third round or possibly second-round pick. People are obsessed with RBs so an additional second rounder is definitely possible if Davis falls. My gut says that Green isn't ever going to be the same back he used to be, and I definitely don't think Green Bay is making a comeback anytime soon. Even if he does come back from what was a very serious injury last year, he should still have to share the load. I don't see GB totally benching Gado after the way he played last year, and even if they did Davenport would still get his carries too. Part of my strategy for this season is to build up several picks in the top few rounds so that I can take my shots at several players I like who are likely to be available in those rounds. I have an additional third rounder now as it is, if I make this trade and can then swing a trade for Vernon Davis that would give me 2-3 second rounders and 2-3 third rounders (5 picks in the first 3 rounds altogether), plus Davis.

Edited by Crazysight

Maybe but he might not go for it anyways. People in my league are notoriously stingy about trading. My team has gotten very stagnant in the past 2 years and I feel that I have to find a way to shake it up if it's going to improve anytime in the near future. If I can get the number 12 pick it will still be a good pick given the depth of this years draft. I will still likely be able to get Mario Williams at that pick though I would likely trade down once again as I already have 2 good DEs plus a third one on my radar that I think I'd be able to pick up in round 3. I really think this would be a good deal to try and get one over on this guy as part of his success is due to totally lop-sided trades that he has been a part of in the past (he got Torry Holt for Charles Johnson and Brian Griese several years ago, plus one other lopsided deal for another of the stud WRs that he's used...Santana Moss I believe.

Edited by Crazysight

True.  Age has really caught-up to my team.  I'm looking at the guy who has Larry Fitzgerald thinking that maybe an offer of Gates/Dayne or Gates/Barlow might be able to get him.  I do have a litle flex with my LBs too and will only keep 3 come cutdown day, so could offer one of them too if it might help in a deal.

1497545[/snapback]

I'd look at trading Williams as he looks to be moved from MLB to SLB and won't have the value.

Still no movement on the trades that I've attempted in my league...no responses or anything. That's typical in this league unfortionately. Though I did pick up Jason Campbell off of waivers. Just don't know what I'm going to do when I have to cut my roster down to 20.

I cancelled the trade involving J Lewis because the owner wasn't responding and I get sick of that garbage. The new deal I've offered is Gates for pick 1.4 in the rookie draft (from Johnny Drama) straight-up. Do you think that's a good offer?

Edited by Crazysight