[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LJ Smith = TE PHI

He was doing quite well before McNabb went down, and even better before TO's shananigans. I think he has some potential to crack the top 7 TE's given the need for McNabb to utilize the dump off.

I have him, Heap, and J. Stevens in a Dynasty league. The point systems favor receptions per TE's and I can start up to two. There are several owners asking for trades involving LJ but I am inclined to keep him given the value people are offering.

Interested in opinions on the type of season he can have.

Here is how the league fared with TE performance last year

C&I TE's

Since no one else has responded KC ... and even though I'm a little biased since I'm one of the guys inquiring about his services ... this is how I see it.

You have a stud in Heap.

You have two very good WRs (Wayne and TO) and then a drop to Clayton ... then several ???s after him. Since we start at least four WRs each week, you can (and need to improve) your #3/#4/#5 WR options.

So, you MAY start two TEs, but given what you could get for Smith in trade, I'd bet that your starting lineup would be better off trading him for some WR help.

And, imo, you'll get more for Smith than Stevens, and all you REALLY need either one for is to backup Heap...and only (probably) get one start for the year whereas the player(s) you could get for Smith could start for you every week (or nearly every week).

Edited by muck

I love Smith.

But I would trade 1 of them for sure. Not sure which I would trade though. LJ may be the best. I'd try to trade Stevens.

No WR corps usually = productive TE. Personally, I would rather trade Heap than Smith at this point. Between his injury issues and the inconsistency of the Ravens offense, you really can't count on him week in and week out. Also, as much as McNair loves the TE, he's now got his favorite target back in Mason and rapidly developing WR in Clayton. The Ravens may not need to lean on the TE as much as they have in the past. Meanwhile, the best receiver McNabb has to throw to now is Westbrook.

No question Muck you have great WR talent. However a few points. We start a min 3 WR's. I have TO, Wayne, and then Burleson or MClayton I can use. We can start two TE and if you have two that can get a number of Rec's this is actually favorable. I also have nice cap space to shore up my RB situation (only have Portis and Chester Taylor and must start 1, two max) and QB.

Couldn't you get more for Heap than LJ?? I think LJ will be a very serviceable TE, with Stevens as a backup. As previously mentioned, I think you should improve your WR's, and if you can get a better one for Heap, I'd probably try that option first. I think it makes your lineup a lot better. Both Burleson and Clayton are #2 receivers, and shouldn't be relied on as weekly starters. What kind of receiver could you get for Heap & Clayton together?

I would keep Heap, he will be one of McNair's favorite targets if he stays healthy. LJ has alot of hype for how much he's produced in the past (with a similar situation in Philly).

My advice: Try and deal LJ while he has a little hype as the only receiving threat other than Westbrook.

LJ is going to be vastly overlooked this year - he was on fire until McNabb got hurt last year

Well that depends on your definition of "on fire". When playing with McNabb, LJ had 3 TDs in the 9 games McNabb played. He also only broke the 100 yard mark once, finishing mostly with around 30-60 yards through the air. That isn't really on fire to me.

If you had him in a PPR league that is a completely different story because he did have most his games over 5 receptions. So it all comes back to your league's scoring with how good LJ really can be.

The scoring rules for this league:

0.2 pts / rushing attempt

0.2 pts / reception for RBs

1.5pts / reception for WRs

2.0pts / reception for TEs

All yards are 0.1 pt / yard and all TDs are 6pts.

Because of these rules, the top TEs are in line with the top RBs and WRs. To wit, the league will start 20 RBs, 40 WRs and 10 TEs (generally)...and the "half way point" for starters (i.e., the #10 RB, #20 WR and #5 TE) scored 256.0 pts, 246.8 pts and 258.5 pts.

We have three potential lineups:

QB / RB / RB / WR / WR / WR / TE / TE

or

QB / RB / RB / WR / WR / WR / WR / TE

or

QB / RB / WR / WR / WR / WR / WR / TE

Edited by muck

With that scoring system, any TE that gets alot of receptions will be phenominal!

Gonzo must tear up this league alot I'd imagine.

Gonzo was the #5 TE last year. It was the first year of the league.

Part of the design of the scoring system was to make the number of FF points scored by the elite players at each position about the same ... and to make the "average starters" about the same at each position ... and to make the "top backups" about the same as well. It works pretty well.

Our top 10 scorers included 1 QB, 5 RBs, 3 WRs and 1 TE.

Our top 25 scorers included 7 QBs, 8 RBs, 9 WRs and 1 TE.

Our top 50 scorers included 13 QBs, 13 RBs, 19 WRs and 6 TEs.

Our top 100 scorers included 23 QBs, 26 RBs, 39 WRs and 12 TEs.

We have 10 teams, and start either:

QB / 2 RBs / 3 WRs / 2 TEs

QB / 2 RBs / 4 WRs / 1 TE

QB / 1 RB / 5 WRs / 1 TE

So, to KC's question ... yes, TEs are valuable players:

* Heap was the #33 player overall last year ... in front of such notables as Reggie Wayne and Stephen Jackson.

* LJ Smith was the #79 player overall, just behind Julius Jones and Chris Brown and just ahead of Randy McMichael and Byron Leftwich.

* Jerramy Stephens was the #101 player last year, just behind David Givens and just ahead of Brandon Lloyd.

Could KC trade a player who played like a Chris Brown / Byron Leftwich level of player last year for what? Yes, he could have some nice upside. So could a lot of guys. What's this guy worth? Here's a list of the top 200 players in our scoring system last year.

Edited by muck