[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here drive a Frontier?

Wolv

Looking for a new truck in about 6 months. With 3 kids a full sized truck seemed my only choice, but a few of the midsized crew cabs work as well. I prefer a midsized truck anyway - cheaper on gas, less expensive, and manuevers tighter.

I've checked out the Dakota, Tacoma, and the Frontier. Overall they are comparable in price, but I like the features best on the Frontier, plus it has a good consumer rating. Just curious if any of you Huddlers out there have any input.

Bought one last Aug, and I like it. I was looking for a small/Mid-size truck to run errands with and as a work vehicle that was easy on gas. I have the Extended cab so there is a couple of small jump seats in the back but it's not got a lot of room (But I don't a larger cab, just the wife and I). The full-size cab is much bigger.

I considered Toyota but it was way more then I was willing to pay.

The Frontier looks pretty cool! But the Ridgeline is rated better by CU, and it's a new vehicle. The latter doesn't scare me much at this time of the year though. They both are solid looking vehicles. A lot of ponies in that puppy. Enjoy...regardless!

CU's Report:

The frontier Line

Body styles Extended cab, crew cab

Drive wheels Rear or part-time 4WD

Trim lines XE, SE, Nismo, LE

Engines & transmissions

2.5-liter 4 (154 hp), 4.0-liter V6 (265 hp); 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 5-speed automatic

Base price range

$15,500-$26,750

HIGHS | Engine and transmission, acceleration, agility.

LOWS | Rear seat room, heavy tailgate, turning circle.

The redesigned Frontier shares a platform and components with the larger Titan pickup, and Pathfinder and Xterra SUVs. It is a big step forward compared to the old version. We found the Frontier quick and nimble, with a tolerable ride. The powerful engine gives it a V8-like feel. Optional stability control is a plus. A tight rear seat is a drawback and the tailgate is very heavy. Reliability is yet unknown.

Steering wheel and dashboard.

Passenger's seat folded down.

DOWN IN FRONT Although the interior storage area is moderate, the Frontier’s passenger seat can fold flat to help fit long items in the cab. The pickup’s controls are well-placed and the gauges are legible.

Split rear bench seats.

BACK FLIP The 60/40-split rear bench seats can flip up or fold down to increase interior storage space.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

The Frontier’s ride, though stiff and taut, is good for a pickup. The ride is steady and well-controlled. (The Nismo trim line is stiffer.) The cab is quiet, with a mild mix of wind, road, and engine noise.

Handling is relatively good, with little body lean. Steering is well-weighted and responsive, and the truck is controllable on washboard pavement thanks to the optional ESC. The wide 46-foot turning circle is a nuisance, however.

At our track, the Frontier was secure at its limits. It posted a commendable speed in our avoidance maneuver.

The strong 265-hp, 4.0-liter V6 revs smoothly and is punchy. Expect 15 mpg in mixed driving. The five-speed automatic is very smooth and responsive. The part-time four-wheel-drive system is easily engaged with a dashboard switch. The truck is very capable off-road. The Frontier easily pulled our 5,000-pound trailer to 60 mph in 17.5 seconds, the fastest in the group. Braking performance was good. Headlight performance was poor; the low beams only illuminated a short distance.

INSIDE THE CABIN

The interior is made of well-fitting textured plastics with some chrome accents. Drivers sit high with an expansive view out. The tilt-only steering wheel was positioned well for most drivers. The firm front seats are supportive and feature adjustments for cushion height and lumbar support. The cramped rear seat lacks thigh support. Knee room is tight. Access to the front cabin is very good, but the narrow door openings make rear access difficult.

The gauges are easy to read and the controls are logical. The buttons on the steering wheel are not lighted at night. The Frontier was the only truck with a rear window defroster in this group.

Interior storage is moderate. The 60/40-split rear seat folds two ways: the seatbacks can fold down or the cushions can fold up. The front passenger seat can also fold flat. The cargo bed has a spray-on liner and features tie-down cleats for securing items. With the gate down, it’s 81.5 inches long. The spare tire sits under the vehicle. Payload capacity is 1,160 pounds and the tow rating is 6,100 pounds.

SAFETY NOTES

The rear safety belts tugged uncomfortably for some. The rear center seat has no head restraint and doesn’t provide adequate whiplash protection.

Driving with kids. Some rear-facing infant seats tilt easily when using safety belts. The tether strap anchors are awkward, but LATCH anchors are relatively easy to access.

I have a '97 extended cab that I commute in. It has 133,000 miles and still runs great. I average 23 mpg but mainly do highway miles. Other than expected maintenance items, I have only had to replace the alternator and I shorted it out changing the oil filter. :D (I just remembered there was a problem with the airbag dash light early on, but it was covered by warranty)

I've had two cheap radios stolen from it and despite the fact that the turdlars did their best to destroy the dash, everything still functions to this day.

It sustained major hail damage a few years back and my insurance carrier didn't total it out because they said Nissan PU's retain their value so well it was cheaper to have it repaired.

All in all, I highly recommend a Nissan pickup. I'm planning to move up in size soon, but I could easily squeeze 200k out of the vehicle if I wanted to.