[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

THE IMPACT ZONE (#3)

keggerz

Gonna most likely be a very busy day for me today so let me get this one up for everyone...

Rod Smith/Javon Walker was requested earlier so they are todays participants:

How will Javon Walker IMPACT Rod Smith "THIS" yr?

Give you projections and why :D

I have no stats to add but get very confused when this argument comes up, and it always does. Some #1 WR, we can use Walker, won't have as good a year because the #2, Rod Smith, will take away looks. then the other argument comes up, the #1, Randy Moss, after Cris Carter for example, won't be as good because he has no one to take the pressure off and the defense can focus on him. I would like to see some consistency in this argument because it seems to go both ways depending on the which side you think.

Sorry if I hijacked this, but I wanted to ask.

I have no stats to add but get very confused when this argument comes up, and it always does. Some #1 WR, we can use Walker, won't have as good a year because the #2, Rod Smith, will take away looks. then the other argument comes up, the #1, Randy Moss, after Cris Carter for example, won't be as good because he has no one to take the pressure off and the defense can focus on him. I would like to see some consistency in this argument because it seems to go both ways depending on the which side you think.

Sorry if I hijacked this, but I wanted to ask.

it is a fine line...

my 2cents on the walker impact to rod smith

Walker is someone with a hugh upside for sure...but he is coming off an ACL injury...

for me I dont think Walker IMPACTS Rods numbers very much if at all....with Rod I would be a bit more worried about Father Time. There is a learning curve for Walker coming to a new team as well as the ACL recovery...those 2 things combined lead me to believe that Walker will have a nominal effect on Rods numbers if at all....I would expect very similar numbers to last yr...and in ReDraft Leagues Rod is a GREAT VALUE IMO

Edited by keggerz

I don't think there is a big impact here. Hopefully Javon will make up for the potential hit to the running game, but with the lack of any other true options, there's still enough balls for Rod to get his.

To look at impact one WR (Walker) would have on another WR (Smith) IMO you have to look at the QB and ratio of passes --all things remaining constant....

Plummer threw 456 passes:

Smith was thrown to 124 times (27% of the passes) and caught 85 balls (68.5% of the passes thrown to him)

Lelie was thrown to 92 times (20% of the passes) and caught 42 balls (45.7% of the passes thrown to him)

Plummer threw 283 passes to WR's in 2005--62.1% of passes thrown---threw 85 passes to RB's in 2005--18.6% of passes thrown----threw 104 passes to TE's in 2005--22.8% of passes thrown

If Walker gets the 92 balls Lelie got and does a better job of catching (which is very likely) he'll lets say catch on the same level as Smith and catch 63 balls (of 92 thrown--68.5 % of balls thrown to him) and the TE's this year is in flux as Alexander and rookie Scheffler....so less balls (104) may go that way...now what is the average yard per pass for Plummer?------Plummer threw 277 completions for 3366 yards=12.15 yards per pass completed---Walker --63 x 12.15=765 yards. Walker if healthy will stretch the field and at times get behind a defender and catch the ball --look for Walker to add probably 100-150 yards to the total of 765 because of his evasiveness. Of course a healthy Walker will get more TD's than Lelie (IMO)...all tolled....Walker doesn't necessarily affect Smith as much as he'll affect Lelie (if not traded) and the TE's IMO....Walker will be top 20 WR's and if healthy all season will probably break top 15 WR's...my estimate--975 yards and 8 TD's--good #2 JMHO.... :D

To look at impact one WR (Walker) would have on another WR (Smith) IMO you have to look at the QB and ratio of passes --all things remaining constant....

Smith was thrown to 124 times (27% of the passes) and caught 85 balls (68.5% of the passes thrown to him)

Lelie was thrown to 92 times (20% of the passes) and caught 42 balls (45.7% of the passes thrown to him)

Plummer threw 283 passes to WR's in 2005--62.1% of passes thrown---threw 85 passes to RB's in 2005--18.6% of passes thrown----threw 104 passes to TE's in 2005--22.8% of passes thrown

If Walker gets the 92 balls Lelie got and does a better job of catching (which is very likely) he'll lets say catch on the same level as Smith and catch 63 balls (of 92 thrown--68.5 % of balls thrown to him) and the TE's this year is in flux as Alexander and rookie Scheffler....so less balls (104) may go that way...now what is the average yard per pass for Plummer?------Plummer threw 277 completions for 3366 yards=12.15 yards per pass completed---Walker --63 x 12.15=765 yards. Walker if healthy will stretch the field and at times get behind a defender and catch the ball --look for Walker to add probably 100-150 yards to the total of 765 because of his evasiveness. Of course a healthy Walker will get more TD's than Lelie (IMO)...all tolled....Walker doesn't necessarily affect Smith as much as he'll affect Lelie (if not traded) and the TE's IMO....Walker will be top 20 WR's and if healthy all season will probably break top 15 WR's...my estimate--975 yards and 8 TD's--good #2 JMHO.... :D

Wow, my head hurts, but those are great stats and a great way to look at it.

I thought someone said it, but I don't think Walker or Smith affect each other, I think it all depends on Jake "the mistake" Plummer. The stats wizards threw out there show Plummer throws a ton of uncatchable balls.

I would love to see stats like that for every team. :D

But if Walker is scoring more TDs (and/or gaining more yards) than Lelie than either Denver is scoring more total TDs (gaining more yards) than last year or someone is losing them (or a combo). I think his numbers drop a little if Walker's hands are as reliable; which may lead Plummer to look his Walker's way when he would always look to Smith in the past.

But if Walker is scoring more TDs (and/or gaining more yards) than Lelie than either Denver is scoring more total TDs (gaining more yards) than last year or someone is losing them (or a combo). I think his numbers drop a little if Walker's hands are as reliable; which may lead Plummer to look his Walker's way when he would always look to Smith in the past.

Lelie may not be there...wait and see on that....I believe Lelie is a casualty to Walker's move...its just a matter of time...although the move to send Smith packing would be tempting at his age...I think Rod has 2 years left in him..Lelie is definitely the loser in the battle for catches or even a team to play for....LOL :D

denver won't get ride of Smith.he'll finish his career as a bronco!! Walker will emerge has the star WR for the broncos this season!it'll take away all this gettin ride of talk!! just as lng as he puts up fairly decent numbers this season!!<<<Smith>>>

Edited by gordo721