[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Everest - beyond the limit

Down Goes Frazia

anyone watching this on the discovery channel ?

Pretty good show..... the final episode is tommorrow night. the expedition was last May during the 06 climbing season.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/evere...restbeyond.html

the whole thing is being filmed by the sherpas who have cameras attached. Last week a guy with no legs below the knees was the first ever to summit with such a handicap... pretty remarkable.

check it out tommorrow..... it's a good watch.

anyone watching this on the discovery channel ?

Pretty good show..... the final episode is tommorrow night. the expedition was last May during the 06 climbing season.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/evere...restbeyond.html

the whole thing is being filmed by the sherpas who have cameras attached. Last week a guy with no legs below the knees was the first ever to summit with such a handicap... pretty remarkable.

check it out tommorrow..... it's a good watch.

i started at the beginning but they are boring me to death so i bailed

to much of the reality crap

get to climbing and no more soap opera crap

I'm not watching it because when they were filming it, they basically walked past a guy on the mountain who was dying on their way to the summit instead of trying to do what they could to save him.

happens all the time and they did save one dude in the episode i watched...

Climbing Everest is a stupid endeavor. As is climbing Mt. Hood in winter :D . These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb :D .

everest and hood are 2 different things

Climbing Everest is a stupid endeavor. As is climbing Mt. Hood in winter :D . These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb :D .

What a stupid statement. The three climbers on Hood were on a Winter Route that would be stupid to attempt in summer or fall when other routes are safer. These guys had the right weather, had the right gear, and if not for some kind of injury, would have been fine. The same injury could occur on any of the other routes during the summer. I guarantee that there is not a rescuer up there that holds any grudge against any of these 3 climbers or thinks that they should not have been up there.

I'm not watching it because when they were filming it, they basically walked past a guy on the mountain who was dying on their way to the summit instead of trying to do what they could to save him.

they walked by more than one. they also walked by a couple dozen dead people who had died over the years.

once you get up that high... you're on your own.

What a stupid statement. The three climbers on Hood were on a Winter Route that would be stupid to attempt in summer or fall when other routes are safer. These guys had the right weather, had the right gear, and if not for some kind of injury, would have been fine. The same injury could occur on any of the other routes during the summer. I guarantee that there is not a rescuer up there that holds any grudge against any of these 3 climbers or thinks that they should not have been up there.

Well I don't know chit about this so maybe out of line. But really, its so fuggin dangerous that its insane. When disaster strikes, people are going to try to make dangerous rescues and are at risk. Just like right now on Hood. This is a tragic example. Three seasoned climbers on the right route with the best gear go up, none come down. Not to mention the impacts on families.

Well I don't know chit about this so maybe out of line. But really, its so fuggin dangerous that its insane. When disaster strikes, people are going to try to make dangerous rescues and are at risk. Just like right now on Hood. This is a tragic example. Three seasoned climbers on the right route with the best gear go up, none come down. Not to mention the impacts on families.

You must know chit if you're able to make the call that its so dangerous. Again, an injury can occur any time. Many members of Crag Rats (who are involved in the SAR) were on Hood the week before without injuries. I heard a report that almost 100 people have climbed Hood since Nov 15th....no issues.

You must know chit if you're able to make the call that its so dangerous. Again, an injury can occur any time. Many members of Crag Rats (who are involved in the SAR) were on Hood the week before without injuries. I heard a report that almost 100 people have climbed Hood since Nov 15th....no issues.

OK, my bad. Thanks for setting be straight on the fact that mountain climbing is not dangerous. Wow, I was way off on that one. :D

OK, my bad. Thanks for setting be straight on the fact that mountain climbing is not dangerous. Wow, I was way off on that one. :D

Anything can happen while mountain climbing. Its certainly not as safe as sitting in your chair watching a football game (although this guy might disagree). Nevertheless, proper preparation makes the number of mountain climbing deaths very small relative to the number of people that do it to some degree.

But using the Search and Rescue reports of the last year, let's see what else we shouldn't be doing:

"Driving an automobile is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

"Swimming is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

"Boating is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

"Bird Watching is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ." Ok...this is a stupid endeavor but it has nothing to do with the safety of it.

"Bicycling is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

OK, so your point is that we as humans should not ever engage in any activity that potentially poses a danger to other human beings either through the act itself or through a possible consequence of the action. :D

Anything can happen while mountain climbing. Its certainly not as safe as sitting in your chair watching a football game (although this guy might disagree). Nevertheless, proper preparation makes the number of mountain climbing deaths very small relative to the number of people that do it to some degree.

But using the Search and Rescue reports of the last year, let's see what else we shouldn't be doing:

"Driving an automobile is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

"Swimming is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

"Boating is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

"Bird Watching is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ." Ok...this is a stupid endeavor but it has nothing to do with the safety of it.

"Bicycling is a stupid endeavor. These people should think first about the danger they pose for rescuers and the pain they cause their families. Its just dumb 2cents.gif ."

Nice try, but none of those involve scores of people risking their lives in search and rescue. What exactly is your point, and why do you think that mountain climbing is a good idea?

OK, so your point is that we as humans should not ever engage in any activity that potentially poses a danger to other human beings either through the act itself or through a possible consequence of the action. :D

Your'e missing my point. Driving, commercial fishing, coal mining etc. (whatever) are necessities in our world and all pose a certain amount of danger. Jumping out of an airplane is stupid, but doesn't endanger others. Chute doesn't open, your dead. But climbing accidents always end up with dangerous and costly rescues, with many people involved. Climbing is a voluntery passtime that is dangerous, not only to the climber but to others. Why don't you guys just ask the families of the victims how they feel about it.

Edited by whoopazz

Meh. Yer taking his argument and making too much out of it. We see you disagree, but these above statements are just stupid. The guy thinks climbing a mountain in winter time doesn't make sense, you do. Get over it.

Personally, I don't really give a flip except that I think a guy who has a 12 year old son is pretty selfish to put himself at this much risk.

Meh. Yer taking his argument and making too much out of it. We see you disagree, but these above statements are just stupid. The guy thinks climbing a mountain in winter time doesn't make sense, you do. Get over it.

Personally, I don't really give a flip except that I think a guy who has a 12 year old son is pretty selfish to put himself at this much risk.

Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the conversation. You may see this as arguing. I see it as a decent conversation.