[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Troy Smith pushing to be a Brown

kpholmes

"Tiller utilized the TE a heck of a lot more than Martz did (probably because Stratton was their best receiving option)."

i remember that kid...i remember reading something on him somewhere, i forget where...but it was around his jr. or sr. year...he was talking about dedicating himself in the weight room...he was saying the only workout he did in first two years was 12 oz curls...tim stratton right?

LOL, so that was Smith's fault? His line was getting blown away from Florida's Front 7 (he was running for his life after about a second in the pocket) and they couldn't establish the run. I'd like to see how Quinn would've fared in that game. :D

Based on the above statement, Smith would feel at home in Cleveland for more reasons than one.

Ok Bill, try this on for size:

Troy Smith is 6-1

I don't have a database handy, but the only succesful NFL QB that is currently 6-1 or under is Brees. And you can't use the exception to the rule as a reason to promote a guy. Tarvaris Jackson is also 6-1, but he's 230+, Smith is 210. He's just too damn small.

And I think it is the one whole inch that Brett Favre, Steve McNair, and Donovan McNabb have that really elevate their play. After all, they are 6-2.

hey guys...i dont get it...why is quinn considered top 5 material....but troy smith isnt....when smiths coach has yet to develop a single pro qb...and quinns coach has developed tom brady....i dont get it guys...i dont see a discrepancy.....so what if quinn might be ready to step in right away :D

Um, right, Quinn is going to step in there right away and be a stud because, you know, he played under the guy who developed Tom Brady. :D

Given that Quinn was garbage before Weiss came to town and that Weiss is probably the best QB-developer in the NCAA, I think it's safe to say that Weiss tapped Quinn's potential in college. Given that Tressell hasn't ever developed a high-tier NFL QB and that Smith has shown flashes of brilliance under this inferior coaching, I think it's safe to say that his potential was not tapped in college and that he has a higher ceiling than some people seem to think.

I agree that Quinn is probably more ready for the pros right now than Smith. But NFL teams are typically more interested in how a QB will perform three years down the road than right away. Matt Leinart was unquestionably more ready to play in an NFL offense than Vince Young this past year, but that didn't stop Young from being drafted earlier.

"Tiller utilized the TE a heck of a lot more than Martz did (probably because Stratton was their best receiving option)."

i remember that kid...i remember reading something on him somewhere, i forget where...but it was around his jr. or sr. year...he was talking about dedicating himself in the weight room...he was saying the only workout he did in first two years was 12 oz curls...tim stratton right?

Yep, Tim Stratton. Dude must've set a Big Ten record for third-down conversions. I'm not sure what he's up to now... I know that he was on the outs with Tiller right before the draft and I'm not even sure if he was picked up by anybody.

Um, right, Quinn is going to step in there right away and be a stud because, you know, he played under the guy who developed Tom Brady. :D

Given that Quinn was garbage before Weiss came to town and that Weiss is probably the best QB-developer in the NCAA, I think it's safe to say that Weiss tapped Quinn's potential in college. Given that Tressell hasn't ever developed a high-tier NFL QB and that Smith has shown flashes of brilliance under this inferior coaching, I think it's safe to say that his potential was not tapped in college and that he has a higher ceiling than some people seem to think.

I agree that Quinn is probably more ready for the pros right now than Smith. But NFL teams are typically more interested in how a QB will perform three years down the road than right away. Matt Leinart was unquestionably more ready to play in an NFL offense than Vince Young this past year, but that didn't stop Young from being drafted earlier.

Yep, Tim Stratton. Dude must've set a Big Ten record for third-down conversions. I'm not sure what he's up to now... I know that he was on the outs with Tiller right before the draft and I'm not even sure if he was picked up by anybody.

hahah i didnt say quinn was going to step right in there...i said he might be ready to...certainly more ready than smith...

its easy for you to throw vince young into your argument....but troy doesnt compare to vince...vince is a special once a decade, maybe generation, type of athlete....

as far as tressel...well since hes been at ohio state...hes basically had 2 starting qbs(3 if you wanna count justin zwick who traded halves with smith one year) in his tenure...one of them got a good crack at the nfl...even started some games for that team that you used to root for but turned your back on...and the other is smith....so i mean they seem to be doing okay

there are several reasons every draft site known to man has quinn as a potential top 5 pick...and are looking at smith as a late 1st rounder to 2nd rounder....and unless something strange happens on draft day...im pretty sure thats how most teams have their draft boards(although i bet there are some teams soured on quinn)....so again...if you cant see it....then yer probably just refusing to

Troy Smith is the next Akili Smith. Great college QB, but a .02 brain when things around him break down. He also locks onto Wrs and at the next level will get him killed, as well as a slow release.

Brady Quinn is the next Joey Harrington. Hyped QB, who will go high in the draft, but will be a borderline flop at the next level.

Jamarcus Russell has the most upside of any of the QBs, but he also will probably go to the worst team.

if Im a GM, I take a flyer on the BYU QB in round 2. Dude is going to be a stud.

its easy for you to throw vince young into your argument....but troy doesnt compare to vince...vince is a special once a decade, maybe generation, type of athlete....

Oh, really? Then why didn't he go #1 overall? :D

A lot of people thought that Vince's heavy reliance on his legs in college and horrible mechanics didn't make him such a "special" player.

Leinart was more ready to play in the NFL than Vince last year and Vince went before him. End of story.

as far as tressel...well since hes been at ohio state...hes basically had 2 starting qbs(3 if you wanna count justin zwick who traded halves with smith one year) in his tenure...one of them got a good crack at the nfl...even started some games for that team that you used to root for but turned your back on...and the other is smith....so i mean they seem to be doing okay

LOL, if you think that Craig Krenzel is "doing okay", you have pretty low standards. :D Tressell hasn't developed crap.

there are several reasons every draft site known to man has quinn as a potential top 5 pick...and are looking at smith as a late 1st rounder to 2nd rounder

Yep, it's because he's white, he played under Charlie Weiss, he played for Notre Dame, and he was on NBC every Saturday. There's also a reason that "every draft site known to man" put Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, and Danny Wuerfell high up on their draft boards.

Oh, really? Then why didn't he go #1 overall? :D

A lot of people thought that Vince's heavy reliance on his legs in college and horrible mechanics didn't make him such a "special" player.

Leinart was more ready to play in the NFL than Vince last year and Vince went before him. End of story.

LOL, if you think that Craig Krenzel is "doing okay", you have pretty low standards. :D Tressell hasn't developed crap.

Yep, it's because he's white, he played under Charlie Weiss, he played for Notre Dame, and he was on NBC every Saturday. There's also a reason that "every draft site known to man" put Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, and Danny Wuerfell high up on their draft boards.

yep there were some people who were soured on vince...just like i bet there are some teams who arent as high on quinn as the rest of the league...vince went ahead based on potential....on potential,troy smith could be an adequate starting qb......on potential brady quinn could be carson palmer or tom brady

i dont think krenzel is doing ok...im saying that the two qbs that tressel has coached have had shots in the nfl...i seem to remember a kid making out ok after his teams starting qb went down and he got a shot...kinda like what happened to krenzel...the difference isnt just merely coaching...its the physical skills and ability the qb posseses...tressel cant make a top tier franchise qb out of something that simply just wont be

This is dumb - before the final game, Troy Smith was a late 2nd to 4th rounder. Now, he's firmly a late first day pick at best. He'll go as prob the 5th to 8th QB taken.

None of which has anythign to do with the browns taking him or not, but it won't be in the first....

This is dumb - before the final game, Troy Smith was a late 2nd to 4th rounder. Now, he's firmly a late first day pick at best. He'll go as prob the 5th to 8th QB taken.

None of which has anythign to do with the browns taking him or not, but it won't be in the first....

eh i dunno about that...before the national title game he was probably late first to early 2nd.......id be damned suprised if he was the 5th qb taken...although i could see him being the 4th

Troy Smith is the next Akili Smith. Great college QB, but a .02 brain when things around him break down. He also locks onto Wrs and at the next level will get him killed, as well as a slow release.

Brady Quinn is the next Joey Harrington. Hyped QB, who will go high in the draft, but will be a borderline flop at the next level.

Jamarcus Russell has the most upside of any of the QBs, but he also will probably go to the worst team.

if Im a GM, I take a flyer on the BYU QB in round 2. Dude is going to be a stud.

id love to know what it is about russell that gives him the most upside of any of the qbs...save for the fact that he can probably chuck a ball longer than anyone else in the draft?

in fact id be willing to be just about ever team besides the raiders(you know that crazy old guy just cant resist a 6-6 260lb black guy with a rocket) has quinn ahead on their boards

name me one big game russell ever won

in fact lets go back to 2005

OT loss to tennessee=14-28 158 50.0 5.64 0-1

21-17 win over florida=14-22 236 63.6 10.73 2-2 sacked 5 times...certainly didnt win it on his back...more of default since leak couldnt do much

trampled at home against georgia= 11-19 120 57.9 6.32 0-1

7-3 loss to auburn= 20-35 269 57.1 7.69 0-0

loss to florida= 24 41 228 58.5 5.56 1-3

barely escaping against a mediocre tennessee team= 24-36 247 66.7 6.86 3-3

basically if his team cant out class you...and you make him throw more than 30 times...hes just as erratic as anyone...and his big game record/performances are just as suspect as quinns

The Associated Press reports top NFL Draft prospect QB Troy Smith (Ohio State) is pushing hard for this hometown team, the Cleveland Browns, to select him in the 2007 NFL Draft this year. After being named the area's outstanding collegiate athlete at the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, Smith thanked the city's fans for their support and declared, "Hopefully, I'll get a chance to represent you guys at the next level with the Cleveland Browns," Smith said. Playing for the Browns has been a lifelong dream for the Heisman Trophy winner. "If that were to happen, that would be a dream come true because I could stay in the community and give back." The Browns will have the third or fourth overall draft choice in the first round.

I would think he would have to have one hell of a work out to be taken over Quinn. Is this in any way possible for him? Or is he just dreaming?

Browns fans, how would you feel about Smith under center?

The NFL is a business and little doubt Smith brings alot more excitement & entertainment value to an Ohio franchise.