[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2007 Hall of Fame Ballot

justin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D That's an argument for Monk over every WR in the HoF not for Monk over Irvin.

Why Monk to the exclusion of only Irvin?

Because Irvin happened to get elected today, making him the most recent WR Monk should have got in in front of :D

I really didn't think this needed explaining

Next year, if a WR not named Monk gets in, I'll change my arguement to Monk vs him.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

Art Monk seasons among league's top 10:

Receptions (4) - 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989

Receiving yards (3) - 1984, 1985, 1989

Receiving TDs (1) - 1991

Michael Irvin seasons among league's top 10:

Receptions (4) - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995

Receiving yards (6) - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997

Receiving TDs (5) - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997

And I'm not even saying Monk shouldn't be in. :D

Gotta run to Lowes back in about an hour. Maybe by then you Irvin haters will have formed a cogent argument. :D

Edited by Clubfoothead

Art Monk seasons among league's top 10:

Receptions (4) - 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989

Receiving yards (3) - 1984, 1985, 1989

Receiving TDs (1) - 1991

Michael Irvin seasons among league's top 10:

Receptions (4) - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995

Receiving yards (6) - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997

Receiving TDs (5) - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997

And I'm not even saying Monk shouldn't be in. :D

Gotta run to Lowes back in about an hour. Maybe by then you Irvin haters will have formed a cogent argument. :D

No hate for that cokehead here. I am fine with that idiot in the HOF. I just want Monk in first. He is more deserving.

King is an idiot of epic proportions.

The one crappy spot on the otherwise very good Football Tonight pre-Sunday night show is where they let King blabber on :D

He's a total tool.

As for the Irvin vs Monk debate, I have no interest in who's in the Hall and who's not until Jim Marshall gets in - he wasn't even listed in the final 17, which renders the whole thing an utter fiasco not worthy of anyone's time.

The one crappy spot on the otherwise very good Football Tonight pre-Sunday night show is where they let King blabber on :D

He's a total tool.

He's the Larry King of sports journalism: The only reason that he's successful is because he kisses everybody's ass.

As for the Irvin vs Monk debate, I have no interest in who's in the Hall and who's not until Jim Marshall gets in - he wasn't even listed in the final 17, which renders the whole thing an utter fiasco not worthy of anyone's time.

He also didn't win a SB. That seems to be more important than being one of the best at your position these days. :D

Unfortunately, Marshall is never going to live down the TD returned in the wrong enzdone. And it's a shame, because he was a hell of a player. Definitely HOF-caliber in my book.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I went to the Hall of Fame in Canton back in the 90s, and I distinctly remember seeing Art Monk's jersey hanging there with the plaque for most career receptions. I always just assumed that his bust would be there someday too. :D

Only going to two Pro Bowls hurts him, but Peter King is a tool. LET MONK IN!

and for what it's worth, Irvin is absolutely deserving to be in.

Unfortunately, Marshall is never going to live down the TD returned in the wrong enzdone. And it's a shame, because he was a hell of a player. Definitely HOF-caliber in my book.

Memorable play, nonetheless.

Anyone who judges Jim Marshall by that really shouldn't be voting for Hall of Fame entrants.

Charlie Sanders.. about time.

Former Lions tight end Charlie Sanders to join Hall of Fame

Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

MIAMI BEACH -- Charlie Sanders has been voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Sanders, an outstanding tight end for the Detroit Lions from 1968-77, was elected by the Hall's Board of Selectors Saturday afternoon. Sanders was one of 17 finalists.

Sanders will be inducted into the pro football shrine in Canton, Ohio, as part of the NFL's Hall of Fame Game ceremonies in August. The date will be set when the NFL announces the schedule for the 2007 regular season and exhibition games.

Sanders and Gene Hickerson, a guard who played for the Cleveland Browns, made the final list of 17 candidates in a vote in August by the Hall of Fame's seniors committee.

It was Sanders' first time as a finalist. He was the only tight end on this year's final list.

Sanders becomes one of 14 former Detroit Lions who played at least three seasons with the team to make the Hall of Fame. Three other Hall of Fame members played one season for the Lions.

The last Lion inducted was running back Barry Sanders, no relation to Charlie, who played for the Lions from 1989-98.

Barry Sanders was inducted in 2004, the first year he was eligible. Players must be retired for five years to be eligible.

Charlie Sanders caught 336 passes as a Lion. He held the franchise record for career receptions when he retired after the 1977 season. Sanders was regarded by coaches and his playing peers as one of the finest tight ends of any era because of his combination of skills. He was sure-handed, a powerful blocker, and had the speed to make catches downfield.

Sanders' election came at the end of a long process Saturday by the 40-member Board of Selectors. Each player's career was discussed in detail before voting was done in three stages.

The list of 17 finalists was reduced to 10 players, then six, in separate votes.

A yes or no vote on the last six determined the Hall of Fame's Class of 2007. A player had to get 80 percent of the 40 votes, or 32 votes, to make the Hall.