[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plumbers, handymen, and women....

rocknrobn26

Just recently I noticed a weird sound that I think is coming from my water heater. It sounds like a hammer hitting a piece of sheet metal! Sorta like a gong! :D It's hard to say when it happens, but I hear it at different times of the day. No water leaking from said heater, but the sound is annoying.

Anyone know what's going on??? :D

No it's not the knuten valve or the flamwanger circuit! :tup:

Anyone know what's happening? :doh:

Skippy? Deacon?

Edited by rocknrobn26

:D I really really hope you washed your hands after checking them out. :D

An Economic Professor's opinions who think they can open a car door with a cell phone here mean zero!

NEXT! :tup:

Is when right after you run water? This could be what they call a "air hammer." There are devices that will remendy this.

Is it just at one faucet? It could be a lose washer on the stem.

Is it a popping like noise from inside the heater? I forget whats its called but I believe it has to do with sediment building up in the heater and water heating and cooling. Most water heater do that after some time.

Try turning on different faucets and flushing the toilets. Do it 1 at a time to see if you can narrow it down to a particular faucet/toilet or the water heater.

That's one problem I never came across RR. But I do have some suspicions. First off, it would help to know how old your hot water heater is, and if it's gas or electric. If it's over 5 years old, it's very possible that some internal part rusted away (i.e. dip tube), and is clanging against the inside of your tank. Here are some tips for maintaining your hwh. If you drain your hwh, and your check valve is okay, and you still have the problem, This site offers some troubleshooting tips. This site shows you the inside of a hwh. I have had water heaters that had the temp turned up too high which caused a hard knocking sound. But without hearing your hwh, it's tough to diagnose. If you do decide to replace it, I'm a hugh proponent of tankless water heaters. They're a bit pricey, but the money you'll save in the long run is well worth the investment. They only heat the water when you need it. Plus you have an inexhaustible supply of hot water, for as long as you need it. BLowe's carries a nice Bosch model that I prefer to install. Just my :D .

If none of that helps RR, then it probably a loose nut behind the wheel.

Is when right after you run water? This could be what they call a "air hammer." There are devices that will remendy this.

Is it a popping like noise from inside the heater? I forget whats its called but I believe it has to do with sediment building up in the heater and water heating and cooling. Most water heater do that after some time.

Try turning on different faucets and flushing the toilets. Do it 1 at a time to see if you can narrow it down to a particular faucet/toilet or the water heater.

First thing I thought of.

No it's not water hammer. I got that too, but the way they designed the house, I can't eliminate that, at least I don't think so. :D

No, it's not when the faucets are on, no water is running, but it could be when the heater kicks off. I'll have to experiment I guess.

The sediment might be it, but I have a water softener and the last time I bled the system it was clear. I'll try that again.

That's one problem I never came across RR. But I do have some suspicions. First off, it would help to know how old your hot water heater is, and if it's gas or electric. If it's over 5 years old, it's very possible that some internal part rusted away (i.e. dip tube), and is clanging against the inside of your tank. Here are some tips for maintaining your hwh. If you drain your hwh, and your check valve is okay, and you still have the problem, This site offers some troubleshooting tips. This site shows you the inside of a hwh. I have had water heaters that had the temp turned up too high which caused a hard knocking sound. But without hearing your hwh, it's tough to diagnose. If you do decide to replace it, I'm a hugh proponent of tankless water heaters. They're a bit pricey, but the money you'll save in the long run is well worth the investment. They only heat the water when you need it. Plus you have an inexhaustible supply of hot water, for as long as you need it. BLowe's carries a nice Bosch model that I prefer to install. Just my :D .

If none of that helps RR, then it probably a loose nut behind the wheel.

The heater is 5-6 years old and is gas.

Temp is mid range, probably 120 degrees at the faucet, but I haven't checked it for awhile.

The tankless heater would have been a great idea when RR Juniorette lived here, w/ her twice a day 30 minute showers, :D , but now it's just Mrs. RR and me, with an occasional guest(s).

Thanks FJ, Deac, and Skippy! :tup::doh: I'll do what yall suggested. But I may be back! :D