[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lesson learned

Cameltosis

So my parents were visiting some freinds in Columbus Ohio. When they drove into Columbus they pulled into the Holiday Inn. He dropped my mom and the luggage off at the lobby door. He pulled the car around to the side of the building and got out of the car. As he walked into the lobby they heard this huge noise. A snow avalanche fell off the roof. It seems it broke off both side view mirrors, crushed the hood, and crushed the roof down to the headrests. 20 or 30 seconds earlier, and its squish!

The Holiday Inn is not liable because it is an act of God.

Oh, so then he’s in the lobby talking on the phone at the front desk. By now he is pretty ticked off. When the manager, who was at home, told him there wasn’t anything he could do he tossed the phone onto the front desk. The cord pulled it off the top shelf the customer writes on, onto the lower shelf the employee writes on and it hit the girl behind the desk on the hand. She proceeds to call the cops claiming he threw the phone at her.

Lesson 1: Dont park next to large buildings after a large snow.

Lesson 2: If you decide to throw the phone at a front desk worker make sure she is knocked silly enough to not remember you. :D

So my parents were visiting some freinds in Columbus Ohio. When they drove into Columbus they pulled into the Holiday Inn. He dropped my mom and the luggage off at the lobby door. He pulled the car around to the side of the building and got out of the car. As he walked into the lobby they heard this huge noise. A snow avalanche fell off the roof. It seems it broke off both side view mirrors, crushed the hood, and crushed the roof down to the headrests. 20 or 30 seconds earlier, and its squish!

The Holiday Inn is not liable because it is an act of God.

Oh, so then he’s in the lobby talking on the phone at the front desk. By now he is pretty ticked off. When the manager, who was at home, told him there wasn’t anything he could do he tossed the phone onto the front desk. The cord pulled it off the top shelf the customer writes on, onto the lower shelf the employee writes on and it hit the girl behind the desk on the hand. She proceeds to call the cops claiming he threw the phone at her.

Lesson 1: Dont park next to large buildings after a large snow.

Lesson 2: If you decide to throw the phone at a front desk worker make sure she is knocked silly enough to not remember you. :D

this whole thing is a real shame ..sorry this happened to your dad as its not fair at all :D

I appreciate he's angry and all, but the incident involved no one getting hurt until he lost his temper.

Would his insurance cover it a la an 'uninsured motorist' clause.

I agree, if you call a phone falling from one shelf and hitting your hand "injured". But my old man has been known for bursts of anger. Not a violent guy though. The girl did not press charges after the cops talked to her.

sorry about the car.....they have to be somewhat responsible i would think. the act of god was snow falling on the roof. the snow falling off the roof is still an act of god?

I doubt it. Act of God is like if lightning strikes. Not maintaining your property is an act of laziness.

Real estate owners’ and holders’ liability

Real estate owners’ or holders’ greater duty of care also applies to risks arising from snow and ice accumulated on roofs. This means that, in the event of damage, the owner or holder must be able to prove that everything possible had been done to prevent it.

Outsourcing of the daily real estate maintenance duties to an external maintenance company does not free the real estate owner or holder from liability towards a third party suffering loss, damage or injury. From the viewpoint of liability risk management, it is important that the tasks and responsibilities of the maintenance company are defined in detail and unambiguously in the real estate maintenance contract.

In the event of an accident, negligence in maintenance may result in punitive sanctions, in addition to the liability for damages.

Real estate owners’ and holders’ liability

Real estate owners’ or holders’ greater duty of care also applies to risks arising from snow and ice accumulated on roofs. This means that, in the event of damage, the owner or holder must be able to prove that everything possible had been done to prevent it.

Outsourcing of the daily real estate maintenance duties to an external maintenance company does not free the real estate owner or holder from liability towards a third party suffering loss, damage or injury. From the viewpoint of liability risk management, it is important that the tasks and responsibilities of the maintenance company are defined in detail and unambiguously in the real estate maintenance contract.

In the event of an accident, negligence in maintenance may result in punitive sanctions, in addition to the liability for damages.

Thanks for the info! I am going to pass this on. Does anyone else have experience or knowledge on this sort of thing?

I am relatively new to posting here. However, I have lurked for a while learing how this place works. I have also posted under a few other names. I have seen how cool the people on this board are.

I think I need a tissue. :D