[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today was a bad day

max

Hang in there Max. I remember last year when my youngest was one, he got a bad virus. The tests they did were brutal: catheter in the peeener twice, temperature the old fashion way several times, took blood, chest X-rays, etc. Hearing your little guy screaming as people poke and prod him while he's sick as a dog and knowing you can't do anything for him is a terrible feeling.

He hasn't thrown up since about 1130pm last night! That is a plus. He is still taking the pedialyte and doing better than yesterday.

Great advice about keeping him hydrated. Don't rush the milk. Wait till he has kept food down for 12-18 hours. I've been through this numerous times, and the key is hydration. Pedialyte and gatorade work well. Also, when he starts to hold down fluids, get him on the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast). Bland foods that will help with the diarhea. Also, popsicles work well - but natural flavored, not high sugar content ones.

Hang in there!

He took some banana slices this morning and held them down well. Will continue with the BRAT diet.

My oldest had rotovirus when he was 13 months old. Nastiest, foulest smelling diapers that went on for weeks. :D

Yes, keep the pedialyte coming, but in tiny, tiny increments. Try freezing it into pops. They used to make them, but I'm not sure they do any more.

The Pedialyte can be a tough sell, because it tastes like nothing, pretty much.

EDIT: You must, must, must take care of the little pooper's bottom. Slather on the Balmex or whatever you use for a diaper cream. When Nick was sick we ended up needing a prescription cream for his poor little bottom.

Yesterday we had to make him take the pedialyte. Today he is willingly taking the unflavored pedialyte. It is as if even though he doesn't care for it too much he realizes it is helping him. We are keeping his bottom coated full of the diaper cream for irritated skin. It is pretty red and is bothering him when changing him a little. We will continue to monitor that as well.

Thanks again everyone for all of your thoughts and advice. The huddle is a great thing!

Hang in there Max. I remember last year when my youngest was one, he got a bad virus. The tests they did were brutal: catheter in the peeener twice, temperature the old fashion way several times, took blood, chest X-rays, etc. Hearing your little guy screaming as people poke and prod him while he's sick as a dog and knowing you can't do anything for him is a terrible feeling.

Yikes!!! I am glad he hasn't had to go through this. That would be terrible.

He hasn't thrown up since about 1130pm last night! That is a plus. He is still taking the pedialyte and doing better than yesterday.

He took some banana slices this morning and held them down well. Will continue with the BRAT diet.

Yesterday we had to make him take the pedialyte. Today he is willingly taking the unflavored pedialyte. It is as if even though he doesn't care for it too much he realizes it is helping him. We are keeping his bottom coated full of the diaper cream for irritated skin. It is pretty red and is bothering him when changing him a little. We will continue to monitor that as well.

Thanks again everyone for all of your thoughts and advice. The huddle is a great thing!

Max, frequent warm baths with NO soap in the tub will be soothing to his hiney.

A few tips:

The best diaper rash ointment you can get is called Triplepaste. It's sold over the counter in most drugstores, but not on the shelf. You have to ask the pharmacist for it. You don't need a script and it's the best stuff you will ever find.

Apple pedialyte is the one to get if your child refuses the others. It's not as strong, and if you cut it with a bit of water kids will usually take it.

Monitor your childs urine output. It's the easiest and most reliable way to judge their hydration. Small children are very succeptable to dehydration due to them having a higher percentage of water to body tissues than adults. If your child's urinary output becomes more concentrated and less frequent, get with the fluids.