[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PS3 article

CaP'N GRuNGe

it hasn't been going good because there aren't that many games for it

true, but i really just use it mainly as a blue-ray player and for the price you cant beat it

the way i look at it is that i got a blue-ray player for $500 and they threw in a free gaming system

and as far as games go I think they have some new ones that are about to hit the street or just did

it's going to be a while before it really takes hold. why? well, put it this way....the most highly anticipated video game of the year is coming out next week, expected to sell millions and millions of copies. which platform is it for, you might ask -- ps3, 360, wii? nope. it's god of war 2, for ps2. it takes the developers a while to really learn the new platforms. bottom line is there just don't appear to be any really good games for the ps3 yet.

There was an interview with a PS3 corporate guy in the latest EGM magazine. He was very defensive about the PS3.... and he was clearly lying through his teeth and attacking the media for the problems.

He claimed that every store was selling out of PS3s as soon as they were in stock. The interviewer said, "Actually I just called several local retailers... and they have shelves full of them that aren't moving." So the corporate guy offered to go out and buy them all because demand was so high. :D I don't think he followed through with it.

Too expensive. Too few innovations. Too few games available now.

I'll probably buy one in 2008 if the price comes down.

here's what i was talking about

SAN FRANCISCO (CNNMoney.com) -- While media and gamer attention might be focused on the PlayStation 3, Sony (for now) has higher hopes for the nearly seven-year-old PlayStation 2 video game system.

Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, told CNNMoney.com the company has raised its sales projections for the older console this year. He stopped short of giving specific revised target numbers. The company previously had forecast shipping 13 million PS2s this year.

The enthusiasm for the PS2 comes as Sony prepares to launch "God of War 2," the sequel to one of the system's most popular titles. Early reviews for the game make it the PS2's best ranked title.

"The PS2 is currently over 115 million units worldwide and there are still some incredible software experiences for it," said Harrison. "There's still a lot of life left in the system."

While it's no longer as sexy as it used to be in consumer eyes, the PS2 is a profit machine for Sony (Charts). The system, which still sells for $129 in the U.S. and €149 in Europe, is not sold at a loss (unlike the PS3, on which Sony reportedly loses more than $200 per unit). Additionally, since "God of War 2" was developed in-house, the company will pocket a larger percent of each game sale.

While the PS3, the Xbox 360 from Microsoft (Charts) and Nintendo's Wii got the most media attention during the 2006 holiday season, the PS2 proved to be the best selling home console, perhaps because of its lower price, perhaps because of widespread availability.

While it wasn't too hard to find an Xbox 360, the PS3 and Wii were scarce. Harrison said that while the supply situation is slightly better, he doesn't expect widespread availability for some time.

"I don't think it will be a stable situation for a while now," he said.

Harrison was more upbeat on the potential of micro-transactions, particularly on the company's recently announced "PlayStation Home" feature. In the 3D virtual community, players will be represented by fully customizable avatars. Dressing those characters in new clothes or furnishing their private 'apartments' with new features will require players to purchase the items.

"It's very important for the future of this industry that we embrace new [economic] models," he said. "The business model for micro-transactions is well established in other parts of the world. ... Not only will it be a significant revenue source [for Home], in some cases [with other games] it will be the only revenue source."

Prices for items in home have not yet been announced, but Harrison said they would likely vary "from a few cents to a few dollars and everything in-between."

the next-gen wars really won't even begin until the game developers start cranking out heavyweight game titles...and the quality of those titles will be the thing that determines who wins.

the next-gen wars really won't even begin until the game developers start cranking out heavyweight game titles...and the quality of those titles will be the thing that determines who wins.

even then, the ps3 also loses some of its advantage because developers and publishers are making fewer games exclusive to one platform. the new grand theft auto is supposed to come out in october, but where previous GTA games came out first for the ps2 and then months later for xbox, the next one is coming out for both ps3 and xbox 360 on the same day. aside from god of war, gran turismo and maybe resistance: fall of man, sony's first-party titles aren't that great. (and now there are some serious questions about the new killzone, which sony showed more footage of recently.)

and along the same lines as the god of war 2/ps2 release next week, look at halo -- the xbox 360 will be 2 years old when the next halo is released. unless you're into blu-ray, there's not much incentive to get a ps3 right now (despite sony execs' thick-headed insistence).

here's what i was talking about

Actually... I do remember reading somewhere that PS2 was the top selling console this holiday season. It beat out X360, Wii, PS3... all of them. Weird.