[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, what's your favorite Rush song?

PantherDave

Hemispheres

Camera Eye

Different Strings

Lessons

and a hundred others that tie for 6th

It's fun to get into debates about the best rock vocalist of all time, or the best guitarist of all time. Usually get a dozen or more names and equally strong support of several candidates. The ubiquity of support for Neil Peart as the best rock percussionist of all time is truly amazing. Ask fifty people with similar tastes to my own and I get 48 "Pearts" and a couple of stragglers with man-crushes on somebody else. The guy was an inspiration to me during my drumming days. My 12 year old son, who has shown me flashes, already loves the guy.

Edited by Redfish

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ubiquity of support for Neil Peart as the best rock percussionist of all time is truly amazing. Ask fifty people with similar tastes to my own and I get 48 "Pearts" and a couple of stragglers with man-crushes on somebody else. The guy was an inspiration to me during my drumming days. My 12 year old son, who has shown me flashes, already loves the guy.

I dunno, no doubt Peart is excellent but Bonzo Bonham takes some beating, IMO.

I dunno, no doubt Peart is excellent but Bonzo Bonham takes some beating, IMO.

Bonham, Danny Carey, Marc Zonder and a few others are the cream of the crop. Just seems to me most rock afficionados put them all a level below Peart. Not making a personal judgment, just passing on my observations.

Bonham, Danny Carey, Marc Zonder and a few others are the cream of the crop. Just seems to me most rock afficionados put them all a level below Peart. Not making a personal judgment, just passing on my observations.

I think the biggest difference is technical precision. These other guys were all big hitters unlike Peart who is just so fluid.

I think the biggest difference is technical precision. These other guys were all big hitters unlike Peart who is just so fluid.

Good observation, but Carey seems to be heavily influenced by Peart's experimentation and precision. The guy loves his accessories.

Here's one that never gets a mention but he's technically brilliant - Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones. I spent almost an entire Stones concert watching Charlie drive the band along with his no muss, no fuss, no frills technique, showing amazing accuracy and timing.

Here's one that never gets a mention but he's technically brilliant - Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones. I spent almost an entire Stones concert watching Charlie drive the band along with his no muss, no fuss, no frills technique, showing amazing accuracy and timing.

Speaking of under-rated and just never spoken of, but Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy is in my personel top 5, as to drum with the super harmonic sound of TL's double Les Paul attack was a knack not to stand out-he was one of the smoothest, crispest drummers ever-listen to the solo sometime on TL's "Live and Dangerous".

Take it from a guy that's beat on his share of drums, I can (ok-could) emulate a lof of guys - but Peart is just out of this world.

It's fun to get into debates about the best rock vocalist of all time, or the best guitarist of all time. Usually get a dozen or more names and equally strong support of several candidates. The ubiquity of support for Neil Peart as the best rock percussionist of all time is truly amazing. Ask fifty people with similar tastes to my own and I get 48 "Pearts" and a couple of stragglers with man-crushes on somebody else. The guy was an inspiration to me during my drumming days. My 12 year old son, who has shown me flashes, already loves the guy.

So true, most non-Rush fans can at least admit that Neil is THE man when it comes to percussion awesomeness. Imagine my surprise when I drug my non-Rush fan former drummer of a husband to a Rush concert on their last tour. I figured that, if nothing else, he'd love Neil's solo, right? Yeah... His response after it was over? "Ehh it was ok." :D

Speaking of under-rated and just never spoken of, but Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy is in my personel top 5, as to drum with the super harmonic sound of TL's double Les Paul attack was a knack not to stand out-he was one of the smoothest, crispest drummers ever-listen to the solo sometime on TL's "Live and Dangerous".

Ok, PD. Time to start a Thin Lizzy thread. I have a few songs among my faves. A shame about Phil Lynott.

Take it from a guy that's beat on his share of drums, I can (ok-could) emulate a lof of guys - but Peart is just out of this world.

Thanks Jimmy, you captured what I was trying to say. I could do a decent job of emulating most drum work of the era, including Bonham on Moby Dick, etc., but I would throw the sticks across the room whenever I decided I would try Peart. My most ingrained memory is deciding I would learn to play the entirety of "Natural Science" off of Permanent Waves (this fit lasted about a month before I gave up). After that, I just quit trying and decided the man had no peer.

Thanks Jimmy, you captured what I was trying to say. I could do a decent job of emulating most drum work of the era, including Bonham on Moby Dick, etc., but I would throw the sticks across the room whenever I decided I would try Peart. My most ingrained memory is deciding I would learn to play the entirety of "Natural Science" off of Permanent Waves (this fit lasted about a month before I gave up). After that, I just quit trying and decided the man had no peer.

Wurd. :D

I just listened to "The Villa Strangiato" again, and I realise music is about taste etc. But bands like Rush, Zep and VH say VH1-Fair Warning were just so much more advanaced and talented than the crap that has come since then-sorry Grunge movement, not impressed at all. Rush is so classical music influenced the use of "crescendo" in the well, a rock symponhy like the "Villa" is a lost art. When someone like the incredible Al Dimeola can enjoy the talents of Rush it's a true statement in my opinion.

Please don't lump in a legendary band like Led Zeppelin in with Rush and Van Halen. Blech. :D

Please don't lump in a legendary band like Led Zeppelin in with Rush and Van Halen. Blech. :D

No, I will indeed, as the three bands are without peer, and I can break it down for you, as many in my peer group can(born mid to late 60's-gradutated college mid to late 80's).

Best Vocalist in order-Robert Plant, David Lee Roth, Geddy Lee

Best Gutarist in order-Eddy Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeleson

Best Bassist in order- Geddy Lee, John Paul Jones, Michael Anthony

Best Drummer in order- Neil Peart, Alex Van Halen, Bonzo

Also, since then the talent is laughable-The Hair Bands :D the Metal Bands :tup: The Grunge Bands :doh::D .

Like TimC stated-the music took a nose dive when these bands left their prime and slowed down the touring.

One Man's Opinion

Edited by PantherDave