[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When do you start throwing parties for...

Dr. Rock

Yep, I'm coming to the Tailgate to ask this, because apparently I'm the freak amongst my friends whose parents haven't divorced yet. :tup:

Anyway, this July is my parents' 30th wedding anniversary (they're both 53. I'm 25, my brother is 22). Since it's within weeks of each of their birthdays and Mothers Day/Fathers Day, my brother and I have both routinely ignored this forever, figuring we celebrate their birthdays, they can go celebrate their anniversary privately. (For 25, five years ago, my dad surprised her with a trip to Italy.)

But, 30's obviously a big one, and the first milestone where my brother and I are both "adults" ( :D ) Obviously, a gift of some sort is in order from us. But do people usually throw parties for people that young? (Young as in, there was a party for my grandparent's 50th). If so, what have you done? BBQ? More formal?

Clearly, I'm completely out of my league here. Times when I wish I still had a girlfriend to plan these social things for me... :D

I don't think a full-fledged party is in order, but I don't think it's unreasonable for you and your brother to do something nice for them. Something they wouldn't do for themselves, but incorporates the family and maybe the wedding party.

Just remember you might have to top it in 10 years. :D

I didn't do anything special for my parents until their 40th. A limo ride (they had never had one before) to and from a 4 star restaurant and a surprise party of family and close friends (about 25 people total) waiting for them when they got back. Sent them on a train trip to Montreal for a 4 day weekend and put them up at a 4 star hotel there.

I'm very glad I didn't wait until their 50th. By them my dad had already gone through one operation for cancer and didn't have the strength to handle all the excitement of the earlier party.

So I wouldn't hesitate to do something for them, but like GTS said, don't go overboard. A small gathering and maybe a weekend at a bed and breakfast somewhere.

Just remember you might have to top it in 10 years. :D

Good info here.

We threw my parents a nice surprise bash for their 40th 9 years ago. Lots of old friends made it in, great food, good music, private hall....about 60 people made it. My mom cried for weeks, she was so happy.

Now that I am married and have four kids (and less money), my brother (with 3 kids) and I are stumped as to what to do for them that would top the experience they had at their 40th. :D

Now that I am married and have four kids (and less money), my brother (with 3 kids) and I are stumped as to what to do for them that would top the experience they had at their 40th. :D

Send them on a trip.

My parents are having their 40th this coming June.

I'm at a loss for what to do too...my wife is great about thinking about these things, generally ... I know she knows about this date, so, I'm sure she'll tell me what we're doing soon enough. :D

GB Muckette!