[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Turning in a leased car

Skilly

Huddle Eggspurts,

I am turning in my 04 Honda Civic that I have leased for the last three years, and am wondering what to do next. I have the option to purchase the Honda, but I'm sort of looking for something bigger.

I need to keep my payments fairly low, like less than $250 per month.

My options are:

Purchase the Honda outright.

Buy a used car, less than 10 grand

Lease another small car, but have to front about 2 1/2 grand for the fees.

I'm leaning toward buying a used car, but I've been burned before.

Any thoughts?

Buy a used car.

When I turned in my lease, they quoted me a buyout figure that was much higher than what I could buy the same car for. I told them that, and they said... "But you know the history of this car, and the good shape you've kept it in."

I started laughing my ass off. Yes. Yes I do know the history. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... your problem now, jagass.

Huddle Eggspurts,

I am turning in my 04 Honda Civic that I have leased for the last three years, and am wondering what to do next. I have the option to purchase the Honda, but I'm sort of looking for something bigger.

I need to keep my payments fairly low, like less than $250 per month.

My options are:

Purchase the Honda outright.

Buy a used car, less than 10 grand

Lease another small car, but have to front about 2 1/2 grand for the fees.

I'm leaning toward buying a used car, but I've been burned before.

Any thoughts?

Of all your options, it sounds like you should just buy out the Honda as long as it's running well and it's obviously been taken care of (you would know that). Being that you've been burned by buying used before it sounds like you don't want to go back down that road. Leasing another small car wouldn't solve your size issue and you'd probably have to put out the most amount of money (meaning up front and monthly payments) and really not upgrading other than it being newer.

If it were me, I'd be seeing what's out there that is an upgrade in size but doesn't kill your financial situation and just lease a new car again.

Good Luck in your search.

when we turned in my wife's car, they hit us with a $350 lease termination fee because we did not release another car from them.

I have two cars, both on leases. One I paid the termination fee up front and the other is waived if I lease from the dealer again otherwise it's like $400. I won't be keeping either car as I want to go cheaper and I know I'll have other options.

when we turned in my wife's car, they hit us with a $350 lease termination fee because we did not release another car from them.

Did you turn the car in early? Crap, that sounds like some fine print sneaky stuff.

Buy a used car.

When I turned in my lease, they quoted me a buyout figure that was much higher than what I could buy the same car for. I told them that, and they said... "But you know the history of this car, and the good shape you've kept it in."

I started laughing my ass off. Yes. Yes I do know the history. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... your problem now, jagass.

Funny, mine was the exact opposite - buyout was $3k to $4k below book. Made it a no-brainer.

If you decide to buy a used car I really recommend using carfax.com to get a history report of any car you're interested in. I used it a couple of years ago when I was looking for a used car for my wife. On at least 3 occasions I entered in the VIN's of cars I was considering and found out that the cars had previously been in car accidents and were "totaled" by the insurance companies. One of them was from a private seller and the other two were on used car lots. They all looked perfectly fine so whoever rebuilt these cars did a great job. Without the carfax service I probably would of ended up buying one of them. The service is about $25 for unlimited reports for 30 days. It’s well worth it.