[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toyota overtakes GM as top world auto maker

spain

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/24/news/inter...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Toyota overtakes GM as top world auto maker

Japanese manufacturer beats out Detroit auto giant by 90,000 cars in the first quarter; market watchers expect company to beat GM for the year too.

April 24 2007: 5:50 AM EDT

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Toyota beat GM in quarterly sales for the first time ever, outselling its U.S. rival by around 90,000 units in the first quarter, making it the world's largest auto maker.

Both auto giants reported record sales for January-March, but Japan's top carmaker inched past Detroit-based GM (Charts, Fortune 500) as it ate into the struggling icon's market share on its home turf.

Toyota (Charts), maker of the Camry sedan -- the United States' most popular car -- said on Tuesday its global vehicle sales rose 9 percent in the quarter to 2.35 million units.

That compared with 2.26 million units, up 3 percent, for GM, which sells cars and trucks under a dozen brands including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Opel and Saab.

GM said last week that put its global market share at an estimated 13.0 percent, down a tenth of a percentage point from a year ago.

GM's subprime woes

Toyota's tally includes cars sold under the Lexus luxury brand and the youth-oriented Scion brand, as well as vehicles from Japanese unit Daihatsu and truck maker Hino Motors.

Many industry watchers expect Toyota to challenge the 99-year-old GM this year for the top spot in global sales, a position the U.S. automaker has held for 76 years.

Toyota dwarfs its rivals in almost every other measure including profits, market capitalization and cash reserves.

bravo uaw

This got me to thinking - is the uaw involved with the cars that Toyota makes here? If so, what % of their total manufacturing is done here, and is it rising? Because if you suppose that the main difference is the large overhead of the uaw contracts, that would impact any carmaker here more and more, as the % made in the U.S. grows, right?

Wiegie, please pick up the red courtesy phone. Wiegie, please pick up the red courtesy phone...

This got me to thinking - is the uaw involved with the cars that Toyota makes here? If so, what % of their total manufacturing is done here, and is it rising? Because if you suppose that the main difference is the large overhead of the uaw contracts, that would impact any carmaker here more and more, as the % made in the U.S. grows, right?

Wiegie, please pick up the red courtesy phone. Wiegie, please pick up the red courtesy phone...

i dont think the uaw, or any union is involved with toyota(in the US). the main reason they wont set up shop in michigan.

Edited by dmarc117

This got me to thinking - is the uaw involved with the cars that Toyota makes here?

UAW CARS

Buick Lucerne

Cadillac CTS

Cadillac DTS

Cadillac STS

Cadillac XLR

Chevrolet Cobalt

Chevrolet Corvette

Chevrolet Malibu

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

Chrysler Sebring

Dodge Caliber

Dodge Neon

Dodge Stratus

Dodge Viper

Ford Focus

Ford Five Hundred

Ford Freestyle

Ford GT

Ford Mustang

Ford Taurus

Lincoln LS

Lincoln Town Car

Mazda 6

Mercury Montego

Mitsubishi Eclipse

Mitsibushi Galant

Pontiac G6

Pontiac Solstice

Pontiac Vibe

Saturn ION

Saturn Sky

Toyota Corolla *

UAW PICKUPS

Chevrolet Silverado *

Chevrolet Colorado

Chevrolet SSR

Dodge Ram *

Dodge Dakota

Ford F-Series *

Ford Ranger

GMC Sierra *

GMC Canyon

Isuzu I-series

Lincoln Mark LT

Mazda B-series

Mitsubishi Raider

Toyota Tacoma *

UAW SUVs

Cadillac Escalade *

Cadillac SRX

Chevrolet Suburban *

Chevrolet Tahoe *

Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT

Dodge Durango

Ford Escape/Escape Hybrid

Ford Excursion

Ford Expedition

Ford Explorer

Ford Explorer Sport Trac

GMC Yukon XL *

GMC Envoy XL/Envoy EXT

GMC Yukon/Denali *

Hummer H1 Alpha

Hummer H2

Hummer H3

Isuzu Ascender EXT (7 passenger)

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Liberty

Jeep Wrangler

Jeep Commander

Lincoln Aviator

Lincoln Navigator

Mazda Tribute

Mercury Mountaineer

Mercury Mariner/Mariner Hybrid

Mitsubishi Endeavor

Saturn VUE

UAW VANS

Buick Terraza

Chevrolet Express

Chevrolet Uplander

Chrysler Town & Country

Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan

Ford E-series

GMC Savana

Pontiac Montana

Saturn Relay

CAW VEHICLES

Buick Lacrosse

Chevrolet Equinox

Chevrolet Impala

Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Chevrolet Silverado *

Chrysler 300

Chrysler Pacifica

Chrysler Town & Country

Dodge Charger

Dodge Magnum

Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan

Ford Crown Victoria

Ford Freestar

GMC Sierra*

Mercury Grand Marquis

Mercury Monterey

Pontiac Grand Prix

Pontiac Torrent

IUE-CWA VEHICLES

Buick Rainier

Chevrolet TrailBlazer

GMC Envoy

Isuzu Ascender

SAAB 9-7x

Who makes more money...the workers or the boss?

I really think they are killing us for a number of reasons, many of which are our fault.

I've been told that union rules dictate that if a man on the line goes down or it out, you can only replace him with another union guy who's job it is to be on that spot, not anyone who also knows how to do that job. Shuts the whole line down, but everyone gets paid.

I was in a union for 3 1/2 years. The only thing it was good for was convincing me I needed to go back to school. My father grew up in a union. Seeing how his union and mine worked, I have no sympathy for them.