[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best move on day 1

rbmcdonald

They didnt address their needs. Dawkins is aging and they just lost M Lewis in FA. Trotter is still this teams MLB, and the outside LBs are average at best. The back 7 of their defense will get exposed big time next yr. They should have addressed these needs, which is why they set their franchise back. has nothing to do with the bust-reach in round 2. That is just icing on the cake for the F grade I give this team.

I agree with you up until the bust and F grade statement. At least they did get a solid OLB prospect in Bradley and a much needed big RB in Hunt. The DE could be good or he could be a bust. But at least he can work himself in little by little by rotating with the other DEs they have. That was more of a depth pick.

As far as Kolb being a bust, who knows. All I know is that it seems odd to me that the team would draft a QB with their first pick when they have one of the top 5-7 QBs in the league now.

we'll see what they have in mind...

they don't usually make headscratcher moves...

people scratch their heads..only because they don't know what the eagles are doing...

ala when they drafted Lewis, Brown and Shepherd in the same draft.....people thought they were nuts....

They needed Lewis, Brown and Shepherd to compete with the rams Wrs. Most thought it was overkill, but I dont recall thinking they were nuts. Kolb is not going to burst onto the scene and make the birds look like they know what they are doing. This was the biggest headscratcher move since Dallas took Quincy carter in round 2 a few yrs back. :D

They needed Lewis, Brown and Shepherd to compete with the rams Wrs. Most thought it was overkill, but I dont recall thinking they were nuts. Kolb is not going to burst onto the scene and make the birds look like they know what they are doing. This was the biggest headscratcher move since Dallas took Quincy carter in round 2 a few yrs back. :D

:D let's not be hasty here...he's supposed to be the ideal WCO QB....

they didn't draft this guy to start....like you guys did Quincy....

they've done enough to where I just wait and see before questioning..

:D let's not be hasty here...he's supposed to be the ideal WCO QB....

they didn't draft this guy to start....like you guys did Quincy....

they've done enough to where I just wait and see before questioning..

I was listening to WIP today and I think it was Rob Cherry who said he believes McNabb will not be on the Eagles after this season. He thinks a trade to Minnesota or Chicago would be possible. Of course this is just one guys opinion but the Kolb pick does get me thinking that maybe the Eagles don't see McNabb in their future.

P.S. Abiamiri will be a better DE in the pros than Spencer.

Biggest joke Ive seen on these boards in years. And also the most ignorant.

You dont have a clue about either player, just lipped off about the one the Birds took over the Boys. That makes it ignornant. If you watched both of these guys play, its obvious which has the skills to exceed at the next level, and which will be an average rotation guy. And luckily for Dallas, we wont have to worry about Abiamiri

Spencer is a college defensive end who will play outside linebacker in Phillips' 3-4 scheme. He could be a nice complement to DeMarcus Ware and another option in case Greg Ellis has trouble returning from a season-ending knee injury. His arrival also may complicate plans for how Dallas uses last year's top pick, Bobby Carpenter, although Phillips considers it a good problem to have.

"I think he's the right size for an outside backer who can run," said Phillips, adding that Spencer rated high among offensive linemen they interviewed. "He reminds me of a guy that's going to pressure the passer, which is certainly what we need."

Link

I'm correct already. Who's ignorant now? Know-it-all cowboy fans...LMAO!

Spencer is a college defensive end who will play outside linebacker in Phillips' 3-4 scheme. He could be a nice complement to DeMarcus Ware and another option in case Greg Ellis has trouble returning from a season-ending knee injury. His arrival also may complicate plans for how Dallas uses last year's top pick, Bobby Carpenter, although Phillips considers it a good problem to have.

"I think he's the right size for an outside backer who can run," said Phillips, adding that Spencer rated high among offensive linemen they interviewed. "He reminds me of a guy that's going to pressure the passer, which is certainly what we need."

Link

I'm correct already. Who's ignorant now? Know-it-all cowboy fans...LMAO!

Actually, this makes you look even more stupid. You didnt know he would line up at OLB, as well as play DE. Keep digging dumb ass. You are losing credability with every post.

Actually, this makes you look even more stupid. You didnt know he would line up at OLB, as well as play DE. Keep digging dumb ass. You are losing credability with every post.

That's why I highlighted the part about him being a tweener. You are such a self-rightious ass. I said Abiamiri would be a better DE, not player, why do you think that was?

"Overshadowed by Ray Edwards and Rob Ninkovich, who are both now in the NFL, early in his career but had a phenomenal senior season and really saw his draft stock soar...Could end up being one of the top 3-4 outside linebacker prospects available...Still has some upside and could be a workout warrior...Teams will need to see him in positional drills to determine if he will be able to make the move to linebacker but if he shows well look for there to be a major demand for this guy."

Link

I think a lot of people thought he might be a better LB than DE, no? :D

I think it was a matter of circumstance for both teams due to Miami's fubar. Quinn turns out to be their top 5 pick next yr, but the good thing is they don't have to wait til next year for him.

Bingo! Whether they finish in the cellar or better, they still have their QB of the future with one year of experience under his belt.

That's why I highlighted the part about him being a tweener. You are such a self-rightious ass. I said Abiamiri would be a better DE, not player, why do you think that was?

"Overshadowed by Ray Edwards and Rob Ninkovich, who are both now in the NFL, early in his career but had a phenomenal senior season and really saw his draft stock soar...Could end up being one of the top 3-4 outside linebacker prospects available...Still has some upside and could be a workout warrior...Teams will need to see him in positional drills to determine if he will be able to make the move to linebacker but if he shows well look for there to be a major demand for this guy."

Link

I think a lot of people thought he might be a better LB than DE, no? :D

If this guy could be that good of an OLB then it makes it even worse that the Eagles passed over him. They could have had Spencer, Abiamiri, and Hunt by staying put.

If this guy could be that good of an OLB then it makes it even worse that the Eagles passed over him. They could have had Spencer, Abiamiri, and Hunt by staying put.

Perhaps, never debated that. I actually think Dallas did a really good job w/the trade and selection. That #1 next year should be a reallly good one. My only point was Abiamiri would be a better DE. Also, I'm not convinced, like you, that drafting the Eagles QB of the future was a bad move.

Perhaps, never debated that. I actually think Dallas did a really good job w/the trade and selection. That #1 next year should be a reallly good one. My only point was Abiamiri would be a better DE. Also, I'm not convinced, like you, that drafting the Eagles QB of the future was a bad move.

If there was ever a year to do it, this was it. the Eagles coveted two players...both were gone by the time their pick rolled around. If Merriwether had been there, he'd be an Eagle.

But since he wasn't, it was an easy decision to move down, and take a player (Kolb) whom they could groom for 2-3 years to take the reigns, with no pressure to start immediately. They still added a DE, OLB, CB, and solid RB. I'd grade their draft a B-, with a good shot becoming an A if Kolb proves to be the real deal...but that will be 2-3 seasons from now.

And let's be real clear here...this was a very weak draft class, with no sure-thing starters lurking in ROund 2. Rather than waste their 2nd-round pick on an average-at-best safety just to fill a need, they took a shot at a QB who, given the right seasoning by a head coach who groomed both Favre and McNabb, could lead this team for many years.

I don't think Reid threw a dart, here...there is a reason the Sproting News had Kolb as their 2nd-ranked QB on draft day (ahead of Quinn).

But the good news is that this team is relatively unchanged from last year, so there are no major holes to fill. They added Spikes at LB, lost Stallworth (without whom they were 5-1 last year anyway), and lost Lewis (who was benched for Considine from Week 11 through the playoffs). I don't think the Eagles, or their fans, have a whole lot to be worried about heading into 2007...

I was listening to WIP today and I think it was Rob Cherry who said he believes McNabb will not be on the Eagles after this season. He thinks a trade to Minnesota or Chicago would be possible. Of course this is just one guys opinion but the Kolb pick does get me thinking that maybe the Eagles don't see McNabb in their future.

that's definately an interesting perspective....and it makes sense..

if this is "their guy" that they feel can lead this team...who am I to deny them?...

he excels in the WCO, plus our coaching staff and system makes QB's look alot better than they are...

so we'll see...

But the good news is that this team is relatively unchanged from last year, so there are no major holes to fill. They added Spikes at LB, lost Stallworth (without whom they were 5-1 last year anyway), and lost Lewis (who was benched for Considine from Week 11 through the playoffs). I don't think the Eagles, or their fans, have a whole lot to be worried about heading into 2007...

I worry about a starting SS who can't tackle and is average in coverage. I worry about Trotter & Dawkins being a year older. I worry about Bunkley not being able to get on the field again this year. It's not like the Eagles won the Superbowl last year so there was obviously some upgrading to be done. Spikes should help for at least a year or two. That will be enough time to find out if these young LBs can play. Curtis should fill in nicely for Stallworth. Unless some of these late picks wind up being solid players, which is possible, I just don't see how they upgraded in this draft other then adding a big RB who can hopefully help convert some short yardage first downs. I know the draft is a crap shoot, but I would rather take my chances on high rated players then trying to find diamonds in the rough the whole draft.

I worry about a starting SS who can't tackle and is average in coverage. I worry about Trotter & Dawkins being a year older. I worry about Bunkley not being able to get on the field again this year. It's not like the Eagles won the Superbowl last year so there was obviously some upgrading to be done. Spikes should help for at least a year or two. That will be enough time to find out if these young LBs can play. Curtis should fill in nicely for Stallworth. Unless some of these late picks wind up being solid players, which is possible, I just don't see how they upgraded in this draft other then adding a big RB who can hopefully help convert some short yardage first downs. I know the draft is a crap shoot, but I would rather take my chances on high rated players then trying to find diamonds in the rough the whole draft.

I agree, but I don't think MAJOR changes were needed anywhere, except perhaps safety (and Considine should be a year better now that he has some playing time under his belt).

This is a team that lost its starting QB in 2006, yet rallied around a 38-year-old back-up who struggled for the last years to reel off 6 straight wins, take the division title, and come within a field-goal of yet another NFC Championship game. They remain one of the best 5 teams in the NFC, with as good a shot as anyone as going to the big game.

I agree, Dawkins is a year older, but I'd lay my chips that he had one of the best years of his career last year, so I don't see a dramatic slip this year. They can replace him via free agency next year or in 2009...they certainly didn't need to waste a 2nd-round pick on an average safety, crossing their fingers he becomes a starter.

Trotter? He's my biggest concern, but he's not going to be an every-down LB anymore anyway. With Spikes, McCoy, Gaither and Bradley, they have a solid 5-man rotation to start the year.

I agree, but I don't think MAJOR changes were needed anywhere, except perhaps safety (and Considine should be a year better now that he has some playing time under his belt).

...they certainly didn't need to waste a 2nd-round pick on an average safety, crossing their fingers he becomes a starter.

Trotter? He's my biggest concern, but he's not going to be an every-down LB anymore anyway. With Spikes, McCoy, Gaither and Bradley, they have a solid 5-man rotation to start the year.

Yes, major changes probably weren't needed but upgrades were.

Wasn't Dawkins a 2nd round pick?

McCoy??? You are kidding right?

I sure hope NE has at least one WR, that will lay a block for my boy Maroney. Stallworth and Moss are helpless in this area. Im not so sure Moss to NE is that big a deal. Dude is a stud no doubt, but just wait till he doesnt get the ball when he thought he was open. Guy will be a distraction, and is more selfish than Dillon was. NE improves with the additions they made, but I dont see them passing Indy or SD with these moves, and think they should have stayed pat with their picks and took D that could help them. Merriweatehr is a nice start, but they need 3 more starters on D, imo.

Sarge, don't underestimate the effect Bellicheck and playing for the Patriots will have on Randy Moss and his tendency to "cry" for the ball. There is something special about playing for this organization. I will say though that if Dallas can put up with the garbage T.O. brings to the sidelines and the locker room New England will be very, very happy with Randy.

Moss>>>>>>T.O.