[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Son wants a lizard

Missoula Griz

Just bought one at the pet store. Cool looking fella. He is real mellow and easy to hold. He is about 7 inches long. My son is turning 11 tomorrow and has no idea he is getting a pet.

I am now sitting at my desk at work eating a samich looking at all these crickets in a seperate container crawl all over themselves. It would suck to be a cricket.

Now I have to figure out how to put all the required heating pads, lights, and other stuff together. Lucky its another slow day in mortgage land. I cant wait until the little guy crunches his first cricket. Its a female, but I am going to tell my son its a male. Dad/son thing.

Thanks again for all the input on this subject. :D

FYI...

Unless you want to go insane in the next few months, be very careful regarding the crickets.

Wait until a bunch of those suckers are spread around your house chirping non-stop :D

FYI...

Unless you want to go insane in the next few months, be very careful regarding the crickets.

Wait until a bunch of those suckers are spread around your house chirping non-stop :D

Darn. I never thought of that. Good call.

• 3 weeks later...

Tee hee hee! :doh:

:D

I think you were thinking more along the lines of some sort of shellfish !?!? :tup:

How did he like the pet Missoula Griz? Cool little lizards...no? :D

Just bought one at the pet store. Cool looking fella. He is real mellow and easy to hold. He is about 7 inches long. My son is turning 11 tomorrow and has no idea he is getting a pet.

I am now sitting at my desk at work eating a samich looking at all these crickets in a seperate container crawl all over themselves. It would suck to be a cricket.

Now I have to figure out how to put all the required heating pads, lights, and other stuff together. Lucky its another slow day in mortgage land. I cant wait until the little guy crunches his first cricket. Its a female, but I am going to tell my son its a male. Dad/son thing.

Thanks again for all the input on this subject. :D

A gecko was a much better choice for a beginner, having kept reptiles for 20+ years now, Iguanas are among the neediest(although one of the most rewarding as well IMO) of pets and cetainly a bad choiced for a child that lacks responsibilty. Sorry I didn't see this post earlier...

:D

I think you were thinking more along the lines of some sort of shellfish !?!? :tup:

How did he like the pet Missoula Griz? Cool little lizards...no? :D

He loves it. I think I like it even more. Last night he crunched 10 crickets. The lizard hunts them in his cage.

The other night I had some friends over for beers. We got bored watching the Spurs game so we changed directions and watched crickets die.

He is very easy to care for. He is about 6 inches long now and likes to be held.

The cost of crickets is starting to piss me off a little. I never realized how many he would eat. I spend a lot of time at the pet store buying them. Darn pet store owners own me right now..

He loves it. I think I like it even more. Last night he crunched 10 crickets. The lizard hunts them in his cage.

The other night I had some friends over for beers. We got bored watching the Spurs game so we changed directions and watched crickets die.

He is very easy to care for. He is about 6 inches long now and likes to be held.

The cost of crickets is starting to piss me off a little. I never realized how many he would eat. I spend a lot of time at the pet store buying them. Darn pet store owners own me right now..

Becareful not to overfeed him. Geckos, like frogs, toads, and fish, will literally eat themselves to death if you let them. You shouldn't be spending more than a couple-three bucks a week, especially for an animal that is only 6 inches long...

I used to own a nile monitor. About three feet long and had claws like an inch long. Mean sucker. Fed him mice. We have geckos all over the place down here. They are pretty cool. I'm always finiding dried up little gecko bodies in the corners of the house and on window sills.

Becareful not to overfeed him. Geckos, like frogs, toads, and fish, will literally eat themselves to death if you let them. You shouldn't be spending more than a couple-three bucks a week, especially for an animal that is only 6 inches long...

Thanks for the advice.