[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How does your league break a tie in the playoffs?

Dobber

We had a tie in last year's playoff game. To resolve, we went back to regular season record and total fantasy points. Needless to say, I need to put something in writing for the rules.

Argument 1: Always go back to regular season record or total season points.

Argument 2: Tiebreaker needs to include something that has happened in the game that resulted in a tie.

Any suggestions?

So many leagues do this so differently.

One option is a homefield advantage to reward teams that have performed well for the entire season, but, IMO, this HFA only comes into play in the event of a tie, basically a one point bonus to the home team in the event of a tie. I don't mind this option, though it is not my favorite, unless the prize money for regular season champion is significantly smaller than the SB champ, in which case I feel that an added bonus for performing in the regular season is deserved.

An option that I do not like is the removal of scores until the tie is broken, such as dropping the kicker score, then the defense, etc. The entire team came up with the tie score, not fair to penalize an owner for where his points came from.

I don't mind the decalaring of tiebreak players. IMO, this is a good system. Have each owner rank say three bench players, and, in the even of a tie, you look at each owner's #1 guy. Whomever has the highest scorer advances. If those two are tied, you go to player #2, and so on. If all 3 players are tied, then it is fair to go ahead and flip a coin or roll the dice for online leagues. With this system, current performance and owner lineup/ranking skill is the determining factor (at least to a reasonable point)

You broke a playoff tie with regular season records or regular season points scored? How pissed off was the owner who was declared the loser (and rightfully so, I might add)? You may be penalizing a team that managed to make itself stronger through trades & free agency as the season went on and hence is probably a better contender than a team that stayed static and maintained an even keel the entire season.

Here's our tie-breaker:

The tie-breaking system between two teams in any game shall be determined by each team's bench scoring that week. Each team's 5 highest scoring active bench players shall be compared and there shall be at most one player from any position in the tiebreaking group. The team with the higher cumulative bench scoring will be declared the winner of the playoff game. The highest scoring bench players shall be determined by simple inspection of each team's bench. If the teams are still tied after this point, scores of one succeeding bench player regardless of position is taken from each team until the tie is broken. If the two teams remained tied after either roster is exhausted, the tie-breaker shall be determined by a dice roll.

You could use any number of cumulative bench players, and therefore theoretically the deeper team will be rewarded. It's not perfect (no tie-breaker is) but it is based upon the outcomes of that week's games and it is established up front so everyone knows the criteria.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Looks like Bronco and I had similar ideas on the better method. I personally dont mind rewarding a better regular season team in the case I noted above, where the regular season prize is of little or no cash value compared to the SB prize, then the regular season should be worth something, in this case a slight advantage in the playoffs.

You can also formulate your own "rating" system-ala tha QB rating system in the NFL. So, you could have a tie score point wise but one team would have a better rating would get the victory. I use to have a formula from an old FF mag of how to do this-next time in the attic I'll check some old league log books.

Looks like Bronco and I had similar ideas on the better method. I personally dont mind rewarding a better regular season team in the case I noted above, where the regular season prize is of little or no cash value compared to the SB prize, then the regular season should be worth something, in this case a slight advantage in the playoffs.

That was my thinking as well - as Bronco said, there is no perfect method. I also subtracted his transaction fees. We even have a decimal scoring system and it still ended in a tie...CRAZY!

Also, I can remember that a tie was impossible as for example-Both RB#1"s longest run from scrimmage would have to be exactly the same, plus other things carries, receptions etc.. This went through all the skill positions in breakdowns. I guess it would not be "imposible" but highly unlikely to happen.

Our tie breaking solution, and one that came into play two years ago, is to have each playoff owner declare one bench player as his/her designated tie-breaker when setting lineups for the week. When we did have a playoff tie, we checked the designated bench players and declared a winner. It is also written in our constitution that in the event of a tie between the selected players we move to the highest scoring non-selected bench players for each team and match them. If necessary, that could go down the line until a winner was decided.

Strength of schedule followed by overall record is the way it should be IMO. If there' is a team that is 8-6 and a team that is 9-5. The 8-6 team could actually be better than the 9-5 team due to having played stronger teams more often throughout the season. In that case the tie break would go to the 7-6 team. If the strength of schedule was even then you let the overall record decide it.

Edited by Asskickas