[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shift work

Big F'n Dave

I f'n hate it. :D

We work what I think is known as "The Dupont Schedule." Goes like this: Work F-S-S-M night. Off W-T. Work F-S-S day. Off M. Work T-W-T night. Off S-S. Work M-T-W-T day. Off seven days until the shift starts over the following Friday night. Days are 4:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nights are 5p-5a. The nights suck ass. One of the guys I work with put it best when he said working nights are as close as you can come to being dead. You're on a different schedule than everyone else in your life. I see my wife and kids about 30 minutes a day.

Edited by Big F'n Dave

I didn't do shift work but for 2 years, 9 months and 8 days, I worked midnight to 8 am on a locked child/adolescent psych unit when I was in grad school. It was brutal. I lived the opposite of everyone. It was really fun going out with friends--they're all drinking and having fun and I'm ducking out at 11:30 to go to work. Luckily, I was single and childless then. I can only imagine how hard it is to do with kids and a wife in the picture.

For years I workd what you people call shift work. I was a watchstander. Over the years worked a 1-1-1-56, or a 2-2-2-80 or even 12 on 12 off (called Port and Starbord watch). The 12 on 12 off was for almost a year. There were some other wierd watchstrings in there but those were the standard.

1-1-1-56 = starting on the day watch...8 on 8 off 8 on 8 off 8 on 56 off.

2-2-2-80 = starting on the eve watch...8 on 16 off 8 on 8 off 8 on 16 off 8 on 8 off 8 on 16 off 8 on 80 off.

Personally I would prefer all mid watches. 2215 to 0615.

I never had a problem with shift work. The family didn't either. Especially when I worked the 2-2-2-80. Those 80 hours to do whatever was great for all kinds of adventures. It was the 7 months to a year away everytime you turned around that sucked.

We work what I think is known as "The Dupont Schedule." Goes like this: Work F-S-S-M night. Off W-T. Work F-S-S day. Off M. Work T-W-T night. Off S-S. Work M-T-W-T day. Off seven days until the shift starts over the following Friday night. Days are 4:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nights are 5p-5a. The nights suck ass. One of the guys I work with put it best when he said working nights are as close as you can come to being dead. You're on a different schedule than everyone else in your life. I see my wife and kids about 30 minutes a day.

Dupont has a lot to answer for. That sucks - there's no way you could be regular member of, say, a softball team because you don't consistently have one specific time where you're always off. Plus your sleep patterns get all shot to hell. I expect some idiot consultant got paid thousands to dream that crap up.

I rotated 3 shifts (7-3, 3-11, 11-3), one per week, for 5 years. Worked pretty much 6 days a week except for the lucky weeks when we got to work 7. The union took care of us though, at least we had a clause in our contract that said they had to give us 1 day off every 2 weeks. days off were always on a Sunday so you never had time to go do anything. Let's not forget about "opportunities" for daily overtime ranging from 2 to 8 hours per day. Talk about not having a life. Your body never has time to recover and synch up with the new sleep patterns. You never see anyone and stores are always closed except for the week you're on second shift. You go around talking like H8 all the time because you're permanently grouchy. I finally got out, but my father did the same job for 25 years.

Edited by Kid Cid

I have not done shift work in many years. Sometimes it was the 4-12 othertimes it was Midnight to 8. I liked it. It freed up my days for sailing and whatever else. I was single at the time and could get off of it when I wanted once I pulled my 3 months. Granted, there were times when it got in the way of things but many times it was great. Sorry you are not enjoying it but I can understand with the family and all.

That sucks - there's no way you could be regular member of, say, a softball team because you don't consistently have one specific time where you're always off. Plus your sleep patterns get all shot to hell.

I missed my son's last two baseball games - a 5p game where I was working nights and a 3p where I was working days. First time I'd ever missed one. :D

Worked out of my short nights this morning at 5a. Got to sleep about 6:30 and just woke up. Can't sleep too long or I'll never get to sleep tonight. I'll spend the next couple days trying to get ready to start 4 days on Monday. :D