[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a new TV

CaP'N GRuNGe

Thanks! One more question. All this talk of 720, 1080, etc. What is this TV considered? I don't see that statistic listed? This new technology is foreign to me. I still have tube televisions. :D

FWIW your tube television is 480i. And to answer rajn's question, yes the resolution of the picture is dependent on the video sent from your cable/sat/ota provider.

just to answer something that a few brought up...

1080i/720p are pretty much what any HD TV will have.....

if you go 37" or higher, you should target 1080p as this is the highest form of HD and all the blu-ray players support this.....not all the HDDVD players, however...if you don't get 1080p, then this doesn't concern you as HDTV broadcasts in 720p or 1080i...

p=progressive

i=interlaced

in this case, 720p is stronger for sports as it displays the pixels on the TV horizontally and is well suited for fast paced action...

the 1080i is 540 lines interlaced with another 540 lines in prett much a nanosecond and is well suited for drama type movies or shows that move slower....

1080p...this is pretty much good for anything until 1440 or whatever comes out in 5-10 years ::D

FWIW your tube television is 480i. And to answer rajn's question, yes the resolution of the picture is dependent on the video sent from your cable/sat/ota provider.

yes, and it's not technically always certain stations...but rather the shows in particular that are faulted for poor HD performance...it can be either or...but if they convert the movie/show poorly...you can't turn chit into gold, basically..

yes, and it's not technically always certain stations...but rather the shows in particular that are faulted for poor HD performance...it can be either or...but if they convert the movie/show poorly...you can't turn chit into gold, basically..

Also, not all broadcasts on one supplier are equal either. I know Sat and Cable companies compress certain channels more than others to save bandwidth. So while to programs can be broadcast in 480i, one will look worse than the other because of this compression. They haven't done it to HD broadcasts yet, but they will.

Also, not all broadcasts on one supplier are equal either. I know Sat and Cable companies compress certain channels more than others to save bandwidth. So while to programs can be broadcast in 480i, one will look worse than the other because of this compression. They haven't done it to HD broadcasts yet, but they will.

Do any of you guys pay the extra HDTV fee to get the games on HD? How much is it? Does it make watching a game better?

Do any of you guys pay the extra HDTV fee to get the games on HD? How much is it? Does it make watching a game better?

i am with directv and bought their HD package. i also have mlb extra innings (some games are shown in HD)....... and some football games are in HD. it really changes how you see the game. most dramatic difference is seen with basketball and hockey imo... but every sport is better.

i am with directv and bought their HD package. i also have mlb extra innings (some games are shown in HD)....... and some football games are in HD. it really changes how you see the game. most dramatic difference is seen with basketball and hockey imo... but every sport is better.

How much for football?

here you go

edit: usually they have decent deals going on... when i signed up i "bought" sunday ticket... but they gave me everything for 4 months or so...cost me $75/month. i have had directv since 95 or so... so they are pretty good about meeting offers (even if past the dates on them)

Edited by Bier Meister

if you say it's worth it, I'm in ...but I'll prolly have to wear the spectacles to see the difference :D .

well next time we go out you have to join us... we'll make sure the bar has games in hd on.

well next time we go out you have to join us... we'll make sure the bar has games in hd on.

in... I'd really like to see the difference. With DTV I'm constantly switching channels to find the game that has a potential FF player playing in it. Ever go over to a FF friend's house and try to watch DTV not having control of the remote... it's maddening :D .

in... I'd really like to see the difference. With DTV I'm constantly switching channels to find the game that has a potential FF player playing in it. Ever go over to a FF friend's house and try to watch DTV not having control of the remote... it's maddening :D .

John Maddening even.... :D

we try to take turns with control... and often come to a consensus on which games we flip to..... often look for red zones and games with the most ff players in them ....

If you have a spot open in your league this year lemme know... I'll make sure to make the draft.

my breck league dissolved..... 1 local out here now... 2 locals in sf... going through my annual "do i drop my original leagues" dilemma

Let's make one out of it. I can bring at least 2... maybe 5 or 6 to the draft, and I'm sure that we could get some guys on line to the draft. You can't let a league die... that's just wrong :D .

I'm not sure what you mean...

Comcast offers all the HD channels (excluding all premiums, except HBO) with the "silver package"....I also added Showtime recently....

and also, just a little bit more info...the only thing I've seen on HBO that was close to "real HD" was the starwars movies....even the originals, because they were viewed in widescreen....

but Showtime has several movies that you can view in HD....

you can tell the difference because the halfassed movies are converted to HD and still are in fullscreen mode..

here you go

edit: usually they have decent deals going on... when i signed up i "bought" sunday ticket... but they gave me everything for 4 months or so...cost me $75/month. i have had directv since 95 or so... so they are pretty good about meeting offers (even if past the dates on them)

how many games can be viewed in HD?....(on sunday ticket)....

here you go

keep in mind though thews, you don't HAVE to fork over $250 to watch football in HD. if you get just the basic HD package (with directv, or cable, or whatever -- usually 5-10 bucks extra per month) you'll be able to watch 3-4 games each week in HD.