[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Faced with a choice between OPEC and America, who does W support?

wiegie

Idiot should probably Google Jeb Bush drilling Florida.....tell you what, I'll do it for you.

So Bush is a liberal, yes?

Link

Why don't you give it up Dmarc?

The bad economic news was compounded by the fact that Mr. Clinton never had an energy policy and allowed the OPEC nations to cut oil production without challenge. Energy prices soared, cutting into corporate profits and gutting the take-home pay of American workers. Mr. Clinton knew there weren't enough oil refineries in the USA but made no attempt to build any. He also knew that America's dependence on foreign oil was at an all-time high but failed to encourage consumers to conserve energy, because that might annoy his SUV-driving soccer mom base.

sit down spanky!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D way to dumb down the issue, professor.

Don't blame me, blame DMD--I didn't expect this thread to last as long as it has and I wasn't about to put much thought into it. (I was mostly spending my time concentrating on thinking up something interesting to post in the fart thread.)

If Schumer wants to know the fundamental problem with American refineries, he need not look anywhere but a mirror. The New York Times reported two years ago that "Over the last quarter-century, the number of refineries in the United States dropped to 149, less than half the number in 1981." Worse, the United States hasn't seen a new refinery built since 1976. Every time a company would like to build one, they can't get past the hurdles that Congress, and state and local governments too, made to satisfy the tree-huggers. The blame falls mainly on Democrats, but also on "environmentally minded" Republicans who'll court any vote to win elections.

Schumer has never run a business, although one shouldn't need to in order to comprehend common sense, free market principles. Suppliers are perfectly capable of determining the natural balance of reinvesting profits and output on their own, without any need for government to "encourage" them with subsidies or state-funded studies, and certainly without government hindering them. The U.S. could import far more crude than it presently can, but refineries' capacity is a bottleneck. Well, if only oil companies could build more refineries, it's true that they'd resultingly make even higher profits, but don't forget that they'd supplying more gasoline at lower prices.

Schumer can't see any of this, whether willfully or because of ideological blindness. Under capitalism, everybody wins -- except schmucks like Schumer, whose political livelihood is based on blaming these "evil capitalists" that in fact make our lives better. He could push for legislation to allow oil companies to build more refineries, or drill in ANWR, which would cause prices to start falling now merely on the promise of increased future supplies. Most people don't see the big picture that if gas prices fell to perhaps half of current levels, their lives would be improved far more than taxing some oil CEO of, what, $10 million, then redistributing it among 300 million people? I personally don't care how much the Big Oil executives are paid. They earn every penny, as far as I'm concerned, by leading these companies that provide a critical resource that people are willing to buy via peaceful commerce.

However, when it comes to getting people to vote for you, truth just doesn't compete with creating fear, including the fear that somebody just might have more than you. So Schumer will continue to harp on "income inequality" and oil companies' supposedly obscene profits, notwithstanding that, as my friend Josh Hendrickson pointed out a while back, oil companies' profits are hardly the highest compared to other industries, when you look at the percentages.

And if Schumer is correct that oil companies are purposely "underinvesting" in refineries, then why are there entrepreneurs trying to build new ones? Or is that a lie, just like one of my friends claims that Canadians coming here for medical procedures is just a right-wing lie?

However, when it comes to getting people to vote for you, truth just doesn't compete with creating fear

The irony of you of all people posting a quote that contains this just completely skips by you unnoticed, doesn't it? :D:D:tup:

there is one in indiana i believe. but its old and falling apart. working at half its capacity.

Well... those oil companies have been pretty tapped for cash. I understand why they won't invest in getting these things running at full capacity. They can barely afford their own salaries!

Despite the fact that Republicans ran all three branches of government for the last 6 years... I blame liberals for some unexplained reason.

I do this because I am smart. Very smart.

Well... those oil companies have been pretty tapped for cash. I understand why they won't invest in getting these things running at full capacity. They can barely afford their own salaries!

Despite the fact that Republicans ran all three branches of government for the last 6 years... I blame liberals for some unexplained reason.

I do this because I am smart. Very smart.

stick to party planning please

the facts just keep rolling in. its too easy shuttin you commielibs up!!!

One of the major problems causing high prices at the pump is the

lack of domestic refineries," said Shuster, who also recently voted to open

a microscopic portion of America's energy resources, which would replace all

U.S. oil imported from Saudi Arabia. "America has not built a refinery

since 1976 because of a complex, inadequate and duplicative permit process

discouraging companies from opening new ones. This bill simplifies the

process, removes unnecessary regulations and encourages more refineries to

open."

There are currently 148 operating refineries in the United States, down from

324 in 1981. Today's capacity is dangerously low and is one of the root

causes of recent spikes in energy costs. U.S. refinery capacity equates to

17 million barrels per day, while U.S. consumers demand nearly 21 million

barrels per day. The gap is growing and is not only the root cause of

recent price spikes but it exacerbates U.S. reliance on foreign oil by

forcing us to import even more.

H.R. 5254 is expected to pass the House of Representatives this evening,

even as Democrats collude with left-wing environmentalists to block any

solution for our long-term energy needs and obstruct any policy, such as

expanding refinery capacity, aimed at driving down prices. The bill is the

result of debate on ways to reduce America's vulnerability to energy shocks,

such as those caused by Hurricane Katrina, and in the mid-term address the

high gas prices we are facing.

once again, nice work commies!

the facts just keep rolling in.

Just a point of clarification. "Facts" aren't quite the same as "Opinion Pieces". You can usually tell you are reading the latter when they use the word "schmuck" in them. Just thought I'd bring that up.

That said, one would have a hard time arguing that the phrase, "dmarc117 is a schmuck" is not entirely factual. Thus, there are some gray areas.

My :D (I invite you to make some silly little quip about this being all they're worth and continue to avoid the arguments made above by everyone else):

#1) It's been very thoroughly pointed out here that nobody really wants a refinery in their backyard. GOP, Dem or otherwise. Simply claiming it's a liberal thing is burying your head in the sand.

#2) The GOP has not only had completely control of both branches of the government but have basically pimped 9-11 as a license to do as they please for a nice stretch of time now. Perhaps the time table for blaming "Mr. Clinton" (BTW, that's sort of another red flag that you're reading an OP ED rather than news as former presidents are typically only referred to as "Mr." in agenda driven OP EDs) has expired?

#3) I don't complain about the price of gas. I understand that we're on borrowed time with this stuff anyway and ramping up production only delays the inevitable.

#4) The fact that your right wing brethren have basically left you alone to twist in the wind here speaks volumes.

Edited by detlef

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.

:D

And any man who has no heart and no brains shall call himself dmarc117.

#4) The fact that your right wing brethren have basically left you alone to twist in the wind here speaks volumes.

right there explains the left's doctrine. those of us that lean to the right fight our own battles and do our own work. we do not rely on society or others for hand outs and welfare.

bam!

right there explains the left's doctrine. those of us that lean to the right fight our own battles and do our own work. we do not rely on society or others for hand outs and welfare.

bam!

I hope you work extra hard to get that overtime to pay for gas this summer.

I hope you work extra hard to get that overtime to pay for gas this summer.

im lucky enough to live within a block of the el in chicago. only have one vehicle which we use for groceries mainly. i guess thats my point....we all bitch about high gas prices and we have the solution for it. we need more refinery capacity. but then we bitch when that refinery capacity is encroaching upon our homes. we need to either bite the bullet and pay the high prices or do what needs to be done. granted there are other solutions that could ease the pain, but refining capacity is the biggie.

right there explains the left's doctrine. those of us that lean to the right fight our own battles and continue to do so even when it is apparent that everyone thinks we're idiots barking up the wrong tree. No amount of logic or facts will ever cause us to sway from our steadfast stance. We always stay the course because admitting that we're wrong, even when it is painfully obvious that it is the case is a sign of weakness.

bam!

he used to be king of the libs, so you are correct sir!

I'm not sure if he is known as the king of the libs, but, as an independent, I can tell you this, I sure miss having him in office. :D