[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sportsmanship Dilemma

Coffeeman

Without reading any of the responses ...

If you had only 1 umpire on the field then it is pointless to argue the call he's not going to change his mind (and shouldn't). If there had been 2 umpires then you can ask for the one that made the call to get help from his partner.

I absolutely hate when coaches scream at the umpires. As you said they never change their calls.

I think it may be appropriate to approach the umpire that made the call in a civil fashion and have a conversation with him why a particular call went the way it did and to ask if the umpire will get help from another umpire on the field (not an option when there is only 1 umpire). It doesn't do anybody any good for a coach to get into an umpire's face about a call.

Having said all that ... in your case I believe it is appropriate for you to have a civil conversation with the umpire, knowing that it will not matter, to show support for your team and to qualm the reaction from the parents.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not have questioned the call and accepted it quietly. That's how I coach. In the beginning of the season, I have a "parents' meeting." Among other things, I address conduct on the field. The parents are told that the only time they should be speaking to a referee is after the game and that is only to thank him/her for their effort. I also tell them that if this will be a problem for them, they need to move their child to another team. I tell the parents that not only should they not be surprised when a ref blows a call, they should expect it. I tell them that without any doubt, it will happen. I let the parents know that when I coach a perfect game and the kids play a perfect game, then we can start expecting the ref to call a perfect game.

I'd want my kid on your team...well done.

I've coached for 18 years and refed 10 years. You chose a good option but not the best option. Saying "Good game, blue," and walking away will show your kids that respect is ALWAYS the way to handle these situations. Any criticism or teaching you'd like to do for a young official should always be done away from your young kids. As an official I was much more likely to explain a call or at least listen to a coach who has shown me that he repsects what I'm trying to do. Unt is correct in saying that the refs don't show up with a "how can I screw up this team" attitude on their minds. They're humans who will make mistakes and at the age level you're dealing with the sportsmanship aspect of the game is as important to teach as any skill.

I can't imagine embarrassing myself, my kid, my family, my kid's team, and my kid's leaguee by yelling at a teenage ump over a blown call, regardless of the importance of the call. In the scope of things, will the outcome of this 8-year old little league game truly affect anyone?

I have four kids, two of whom are old enough to be involved in sports. While they both love to win, my wife and I focus more on teaching them how to react when they lose.

It is these lessons that will take them further in life, and make them better people.

I can't imagine embarrassing myself, my kid, my family, my kid's team, and my kid's leaguee by yelling at a teenage ump over a blown call, regardless of the importance of the call. In the scope of things, will the outcome of this 8-year old little league game truly affect anyone?

I have four kids, two of whom are old enough to be involved in sports. While they both love to win, my wife and I focus more on teaching them how to react when they lose.

It is these lessons that will take them further in life, and make them better people.

I'm assuming they are going to be Eagles fans, so, teaching them how to lose is definitely a good thing and will be a tool that they will use every year throughout the rest of their life. :D

In all seriousness, good post, and I agree with you 100%

Edited by Menudo

Agreed, and I think experience is the key. It is the first time I've personally had a playoff game come down to a close call on the final play like that in 4 years of coaching, and I got a little too excited. Option 1 is the clear choice, (maybe + a civil discussion in private after the game,) and I will handle it better next time.

thanks to all for chiming in. I'm over it now. On to the next kids sports - summer b-ball and swimming....

yeah, but i kinda like whoever's idea it was to say "hey blue, are you sure you were in position there? why don't you ask this kid if he caught the ball clean or not?" if the kid says he did (whether he's lying or not), that's the end of it. if he says he didn't have it, everyone earns their boy scout sportsmanship badge AND the correct call is made.

of course, in reality, there is no way that works. kid's team would rip him a new one for costing the team, and knowing that, very few kids will give an honest answer. but it's nice to think it could work.