[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

winblows xp question

polksalet

I am visiting a site which requires ie and I had to boot from windows as my seamonkey will not work with it. This rig is really slow and I am wondering if I have too many apps running simultaneously. How do I go about seeing them and preventing them from autostarting.

I did the msconfig thing and we will see if it helps. i do not see how you ms drones make it.

DMD download, burn, and run from the cd "Ubuntu linux". It is a lot like xp but without the crashes.

:D

My machine is... lets see... yep, uptime, 5 weeks.

Don't buy a $400 walmart peice of Sega! next time.

So you're telling Polk that if he wants to switch from stable free software to expensive buggy software... he should spend more on hardware to make the expensive operating system work as well as free software on his cheap hardware?

I'm sure he's probably seriously considering that.

So you're telling Polk that if he wants to switch from stable free software to expensive buggy software... he should spend more on hardware to make the expensive operating system work as well as free software on his cheap hardware?

I'm sure he's probably seriously considering that.

Sure, buy a decent machine, load VMWare and run all the operating systems you want in their own sandboxes...

However, knowing how cheap Polk is and how much he likes to stay away from the norm, I doubt he does that anytime soon.

We just need to hook Polk up with a Kiosk that resets every night to wipe all the crap he installs off of it.

switch from stable free software to expensive buggy software

Polk did a clean install it sounds, and he is pleased, yet he is comparing it to an OEM install that comes filled with junk.

A clean install of XP can be as stable as anything else for regular use. Thanks though CEO, it's always good to keep everyone in the know you're a tard.

Polk did a clean install it sounds, and he is pleased, yet he is comparing it to an OEM install that comes filled with junk.

A clean install of XP can be as stable as anything else for regular use. Thanks though CEO, it's always good to keep everyone in the know you're a tard.

very good point!

very good point!

Are you saying that that a clean install of XP can be as stable as anything else for regular use is a very good point or that CEO keeping everyone in the know that he is a tard is a good point? I'm confused.

A clean install of XP can be as stable as anything else for regular use.

So you're saying that after you buy a computer that already includes an expensive license for Windows, you should go buy an additional copy of XP so you can load it again with fewer problems?

Most PCs don't come with an install disk for XP.

Why do you have to do so much to make it run optimally? Why would anyone purposely let their software be distributed in a way that makes it crash more?

Yeah, that is exactly what I am saying! You're headed to the top copy boy!!!

How do you intend to load a fresh unencumbered copy of XP with the restore disks that come with most PCs? Those just re-image you disk with a bunch of bloatware.

So... you're recommending that people buy a copy? Or pirate one...?

Help me understand.

DMD download, burn, and run from the cd "Ubuntu linux". It is a lot like xp but without the crashes.

This is what I was replying too.

What are you talking about?

If your PC did not come with XP discs, some do not, many do, you can order them from your manufacturer for a couple bucks. However, Any XP CD will work for a similar key....

I don't know what dog you have in this fight, nothing you can say here is going to make what I said incorrect.

A clean, uncluttered install of any OS is going to be more stable than one imaged with all the stuff OEMS get paid to add.

XP is not unstable. PERIOD. However, other outside influences can make it so, just like any other OS under the sun.

Please go make some coffee copy boy, my work here is done.

Those just re-image you disk with a bunch of bloatware.

This is also not true. Most PC's that come with discs, come with the OS disc, and a seperate apps discs.

What you are talking is years and years ago.... I suppose you still think macs are best for video editing? LOL!

Most PC's that come with discs, come with the OS disc, and a seperate apps discs.

What you are talking is years and years ago....

This is untrue.

I do think it's funny that all I've done in this thread is ask questions while you attack me, and all of a sudden you're on your heels defensive and questioning my motives. :D You have issues.

Edited by AtomicCEO

This is untrue.

I beleive that I may possibly have a larger base of data to base my opinion on than you copy boy.

Regardless of your restore disc mistake, any IT person here will agree with what I have said.

Polks machine runs better with a clean install of any OS vs. one off the shelf from any mfg.

Now shoo, the coffee is getting stale.

I beleive that I may possibly have a larger base of data to base my opinion on than you copy boy.

Regardless of your restore disc mistake, any IT person here will agree with what I have said.

Polks machine runs better with a clean install of any OS vs. one off the shelf from any mfg.

Now shoo, the coffee is getting stale.

Yes! A clean install of any operating system is better than the bloated up crap you leave the store with. You get not only the OS, but typically dozens of applications that only degradate the performance of your system, including many manufacturer specific utilities. Just so happens the only real option at most stores is a Microsoft operating system.

Since you don't routinely buy a new system with Linux loaded, there is no market for pre-loading tons of software on the system. However, give me a fresh install of Linux and let me load a couple dozen applications and utilities on it, and you will see a drop-off in performance.

From a Microsoft operating system perspective, it's all about that little license key sticker on the side or top of the box. That OEM license entitles you to install just the OS if you desire, which can be done with a copy of the OEM media. You do not have to use the "restore" CD you get with the system, although using that will ensure you get all your drivers installed correctly (and get you all the pre-loaded applications). Some manufacturers include a copy of the OS media as a separate bootable CD, and others incorporate it into their restore process...

A key will only work with the same type; that is, OEM licensing requires OEM media and FPP (full package product) licenses require the boxed media. FPP key codes are on the jewel case and OEM are stickered by a system builder on the case upon assembly/installation.

There is nothing special, per se, about the media itself. The legitimacy of your software is in the license key, not the media.

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to go out there & say Windows XP is the most stable OS ever... However, the point of the post was to concur that a clean install is much more stable and that you can not hold Microsoft at fault for all the crap a manufacturer opts to pre-load on a system.

I suggest ghosting a system after the baselining is complete (operating system, essential applications and applicable updates/patches).

:D

A key will only work with the same type; that is, OEM licensing requires OEM media and FPP (full package product) licenses require the boxed media. FPP key codes are on the jewel case and OEM are stickered by a system builder on the case upon assembly/installation.

You can mismatch, however a call to MS may be required to activate.

This is what I was replying too.

What are you talking about?

If your PC did not come with XP discs, some do not, many do, you can order them from your manufacturer for a couple bucks. However, Any XP CD will work for a similar key....

I don't know what dog you have in this fight, nothing you can say here is going to make what I said incorrect.

A clean, uncluttered install of any OS is going to be more stable than one imaged with all the stuff OEMS get paid to add.

XP is not unstable. PERIOD. However, other outside influences can make it so, just like any other OS under the sun.

Please go make some coffee copy boy, my work here is done.

Actually I just run the live cd, I boot from it. It is extremely stable and just as fast or faster than XP. I can only imagine how was it would be from a clean install.

Sure, buy a decent machine, load VMWare and run all the operating systems you want in their own sandboxes...

However, knowing how cheap Polk is and how much he likes to stay away from the norm, I doubt he does that anytime soon.

We just need to hook Polk up with a Kiosk that resets every night to wipe all the crap he installs off of it.

cheap?? :tup::D:D

Actually I just run the live cd, I boot from it. It is extremely stable and just as fast or faster than XP.

You want speed? Why don't you boot/load from a USB RAM Drive? CD's hold 650mbish, small Ram drives are 1GB now, many much larger.

You can mismatch, however a call to MS may be required to activate.

No sir, according the MS EULA's you can not mix & match FPP & OEM. While it may "work" and you may get some call center newb to do it, it is in violation of licensing policy.

You want speed? Why don't you boot/load from a USB RAM Drive? CD's hold 650mbish, small Ram drives are 1GB now, many much larger.

yeah i got me a 2gb lexar this weekend. Do you think it would be even more faster than windows if I did that?

yeah i got me a 2gb lexar this weekend. Do you think it would be even more faster than windows if I did that?

RAM? Or flash memory? Big difference in speed.

A flash memory card remembers what's on it when the power goes out. RAM loses it's memory without power.