[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Droughns vs. Jacobs

If he were 6'-4" and 205 lbs, I'd tend to agree with you. That Jacobs is 6'-4" and 260 lbs makes his weight/height ratio 3.42. That's outstanding in regard to body mass. I don't understand why you think his punishment increases 4-5 fold because of his size. I can only assume that you either never took or badly failed high school physics.

If you really want to delve into it, you should give his body mass index. Just because you are 6'4 260, doesn't make you strong. There are plenty of 6'4 260 fat guys out there, and their "weight/height" ratio (which is a meaningless statistic by the way and has ZERO relevance here) is the same as Jacobs'. So since you are trying to sound intelligent, provide his correct BMI-which will give you a true indication of how "outstanding" his body compostion is. Then you will have a leg to stand on. Until that time, you are merely blowing smoke...

I am still at a loss to understand why people believe that Droughns will be a factor of any significance in NY this year. Other than when he played behind "the line" in DEN, he has done nothing special. Last year he only had a 3.4 YPC and his only truly notable year is when he went from being a back-up FB to being the starting RB in DEN because of their injuries. Even then he only had 275 carries and six TDs there. He has started 50 games in his career and only rushed for a toal of 13 TDs.

Jacobs has had to twiddle his thumbs watching Tiki Barber be one of the top backs in the league for two years now and yet despite never starting any games, he has already rushed for 16 TDs and still averaged 4.4 YPC last year even though he usually came in for short yardage carries to spell Tiki.

With all the free agent RBs this year - McGahee, Lewis, Henry, Green T Jones - the Giants were happy to stand pat with Jacobs and swapping Tim Carter for Droughns is just the way teams bury their dead choices from the past. NY has a great rushing schedule this year and I would be very surprised to see Jacobs get less than 70% of the carries. Shocked I say. Barber had 84% of the runs in 2005, 82% in 2004 and 77% in 2006.

For the Giants to use Droughns for anything more than relief and back-up is like saying they traded their worst (AKA worthless) wideout for a starting running back and that makes zero sense. Anything short of making Jacobs a full-time, heavy use back like Coughlin prefers is to be throwing the towel in on the season. The Giants believe in Jacobs and he is getting his shot in an offense that has been wildly productive with the run thanks largely to Tiki. And remember too that Barber's three seasons with Coughlin were better than any of the seven years before he was the coach in NY.

Here's another example - Droughns is pretty much the same as Mike Anderson. Came from the same place with a great year in the DEN system and then nothing. CLE made the huge mistake of thinking that Droughns is anything more than a back-up RB and threw him away for a crappy wideout.

I am still at a loss to understand why people believe that Droughns will be a factor of any significance in NY this year. Other than when he played behind "the line" in DEN, he has done nothing special. Last year he only had a 3.4 YPC and his only truly notable year is when he went from being a back-up FB to being the starting RB in DEN because of their injuries. Even then he only had 275 carries and six TDs there. He has started 50 games in his career and only rushed for a toal of 13 TDs.

Jacobs has had to twiddle his thumbs watching Tiki Barber be one of the top backs in the league for two years now and yet despite never starting any games, he has already rushed for 16 TDs and still averaged 4.4 YPC last year even though he usually came in for short yardage carries to spell Tiki.

With all the free agent RBs this year - McGahee, Lewis, Henry, Green T Jones - the Giants were happy to stand pat with Jacobs and swapping Tim Carter for Droughns is just the way teams bury their dead choices from the past. NY has a great rushing schedule this year and I would be very surprised to see Jacobs get less than 70% of the carries. Shocked I say. Barber had 84% of the runs in 2005, 82% in 2004 and 77% in 2006.

For the Giants to use Droughns for anything more than relief and back-up is like saying they traded their worst (AKA worthless) wideout for a starting running back and that makes zero sense. Anything short of making Jacobs a full-time, heavy use back like Coughlin prefers is to be throwing the towel in on the season. The Giants believe in Jacobs and he is getting his shot in an offense that has been wildly productive with the run thanks largely to Tiki. And remember too that Barber's three seasons with Coughlin were better than any of the seven years before he was the coach in NY.

Here's another example - Droughns is pretty much the same as Mike Anderson. Came from the same place with a great year in the DEN system and then nothing. CLE made the huge mistake of thinking that Droughns is anything more than a back-up RB and threw him away for a crappy wideout.

You make some good points. But instead of focusing on Droughns (who also had 1000 yards for the Browns in 2005--he's no slouch), focus on Jacobs. If he is sooo good and sooo talented, why is it that NONE of the teams he has ever been on has given him the lion's share of carries?

I am still at a loss to understand why people believe that Droughns will be a factor of any significance in NY this year.

Indeed. I see the addition of Droughns as a vote of confidence in Jacobs, considering the decent number of higher quality free agent RB's they passed up on. In the draft the Giants got one RB in the 7th round and currently have Derrick Ward as the 3rd RB on the depth chart. It seems rather obvious that Jacobs is going to get a decent share of carries and even last year he was a boderline flex starter with Tiki in the picture. I have Jacobs ranked higher on my cheat sheets than most.

I am still at a loss to understand why people believe that Droughns will be a factor of any significance in NY this year. Other than when he played behind "the line" in DEN, he has done nothing special.

In 2005, Droughns ranked #14 among RBs while a member of the Cleveland Browns. In 2004 with Denver, he ranked #15.

With all the free agent RBs this year - McGahee, Lewis, Henry, Green T Jones - the Giants were happy to stand pat with Jacobs and swapping Tim Carter for Droughns is just the way teams bury their dead choices from the past.

McGahee and Jones weren't free agents, and Henry, Green, and Lewis obviously weren't signing deals to come in and lose carries to Jacobs. Droughns was due a roster bonus at the end of March from Cleveland whether they cut him or not. I don't see any grand schematics going on in the inclusion of Tim Carter, who's entering the final year of a deal. He is the proverbial bag of turd thrown in by the Giants to the Browns, who had absolutely no leverage in what they could get out of a deal for Droughns.

So, the Giants, rather than paying big price tags for the names mentioned above to split carries with Jacobs, go after a cheap, versatile, and experienced option out of the backfield? I'm failing to see how this isn't completely sensible from their perspective.

NY has a great rushing schedule this year and I would be very surprised to see Jacobs get less than 70% of the carries. Shocked I say. Barber had 84% of the runs in 2005, 82% in 2004 and 77% in 2006.

Reference the percentages I posted about Jacobs share of duties on his college/pro teams. Anything over 50% would be a career high.

I honestly don't see how adding an option in the backfield is equivalent to throwing in the towel. The wildly productive running game has been successful because of the multi-dimensional talents of Barber (and the young QB who likes to dump it off to him), and a coaching staff that utlilized his talents (as well as those of Jacobs). Adding personnel to the mix in the backfield (Droughns and Bradshaw) and coaching staff (Gilbride as OC) is a strong indication that they will continue to utilize the variety talents they have in their arsenal.

You now have a battering ram in Jacobs, a 3-yard guy who can catch in Droughns, and a Barber-clone (physically) in Bradshaw. Expecting >70% of the workload for Jacobs (barring injury) seems like it's ignoring all the factors of the situation.