[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great round of golf today. (For me)

Skippy

Nice round Skippy. Breaking 80 ain't easy like pimpin is. :D

You aren't kidding. I would have to say that the number of times that I have gotten in under 80 is probably right around 10. Best ever was a 76 and I'm sure I made a post about that day here at the Huddle. I still remember how that day went as I hit a ball into the water only to watch it skip about five times and land in a perfect spot. The whole day was filled with all the right bounces.

Today was back to normal Skippy. 44 on the front and 41 on the back. :D

I hear ya, but the thrill of cracking off that 300 yard drive as it fades right down the middle... it happens once in a while, but there are holes that I've donated more than a few dozen golf balls to the water. I don't mind being wet as much as I mind OB. In our league, if you go OB and take distance it's -2. To play OB correctly, you have to hit a provisional for not getting penalized for distance (-1). A hazard is different, so at least I get distance. I can see only bringing out the jack when there's room on either side for error... I'm gonna try it. Thanks for the advice.

You're right. If I think I went OB, I usually play a provisional (hitting 3) from the tee. Hazard is not nearly as bad, especially if you hit it 275-300 into the water, take a drop, and have a chance to get up and down from 50-75 yards for par. I had some of those the other day, where I usually "saved" bogey, it was the OB penalties that hurt the most because of the loss of distance AND the penalty stroke.

Perfect example was a par-five where I lost 2 balls..... Drove it OB, rehit (hitting 3) and crushed it about 290 down the fairway. Then proceeded to hit my 3-wood OB (not really a bad decision, just pushed it WAY right, hit the cart path, and bounced out), dropped and hit "provisional" hoping I could find the ball that hit the cart path. Didn't find it, so I'm lying six about 40 yards from the pin. Got up and down to "save" an eight on the hole. Sounds terrible, but considering I took two pentalties and lost about 500 yards in distance, I was fortunate to make eight. It's holes like that that take away any chance of me breaking 90. :D The few times I have shot in the 80's, I was able to play mostly par/bogey golf and manage damage control (avoid any 7's or higher) on the bad holes. If I can avoid any triples and less than a handful of doubles, I'm usually happy, because I know I'll get at least a handful of pars and probably a birdie or two every round. :D

I usually keep score in terms of "balls lost", not really in "strokes taken". Anything less than a nine is pretty good for me.

Translation: I've never broken 100 in my entire life. I hear the siren song of the driver, and remember the feel of the 340 yard drive I hit "that one time" and swing from the heels again ... and again ... and again ...

NOTE: Worst round ever was a 24. Played in the swamp. No interest in finding a crocodile when looking for an errant ball.

Perfect example was a par-five where I lost 2 balls..... Drove it OB, rehit (hitting 3) and crushed it about 290 down the fairway. Then proceeded to hit my 3-wood OB (not really a bad decision, just pushed it WAY right, hit the cart path, and bounced out), dropped and hit "provisional" hoping I could find the ball that hit the cart path. Didn't find it, so I'm lying six about 40 yards from the pin. Got up and down to "save" an eight on the hole. Sounds terrible, but considering I took two pentalties and lost about 500 yards in distance, I was fortunate to make eight. It's holes like that that take away any chance of me breaking 90. :D The few times I have shot in the 80's, I was able to play mostly par/bogey golf and manage damage control (avoid any 7's or higher) on the bad holes. If I can avoid any triples and less than a handful of doubles, I'm usually happy, because I know I'll get at least a handful of pars and probably a birdie or two every round. :D

Hole #2 at the course that I play has houses 150 to the right and all the way down. I’ve hit those houses at least 25 times… every time waiting to hear the sound of broken glass. I’ve never heard it, but have heard the crack as the ball hits the roof. Because of this, I tend to aim left and usually hook the hell out of it. With a more controlled club, I should just take the 235 and be safe… course management. By the way, you carry of lot of wedges. How many clubs do you have in your bag?

Hole #2 at the course that I play has houses 150 to the right and all the way down. I’ve hit those houses at least 25 times… every time waiting to hear the sound of broken glass. I’ve never heard it, but have heard the crack as the ball hits the roof. Because of this, I tend to aim left and usually hook the hell out of it. With a more controlled club, I should just take the 235 and be safe… course management. By the way, you carry of lot of wedges. How many clubs do you have in your bag?

Besides the 5 wedges, I have 3-9 irons, putter, driver, 3-wood, and 5-wood = 16 total. :D I know that's more than rules technically allow, but I don't plan on reaching the tour anytime soon, and I never use them all in the same round. In fact, I rarely use more than 3-4 of the wedges, hardly ever hit the 5-wood, and could go without the 3-iron if I had to (prefer to hit the 4). I also have about 3 other drivers, another 3-wood, sand wedge, two putters, and 1- and 2-irons that I don't carry in my bag normally. :D

A friend of mine ONLY plays with a five iron, a sand wedge and a putter. He regularly shoots in the high 80s to mid 90s.

He just puts two or three balls in his pocket, a ball marker for the green and carries his three clubs in his hand for the entire round.

Guest ksu70

Besides the 5 wedges, I have 3-9 irons, putter, driver, 3-wood, and 5-wood = 16 total. :D I know that's more than rules technically allow, but I don't plan on reaching the tour anytime soon, and I never use them all in the same round. In fact, I rarely use more than 3-4 of the wedges, hardly ever hit the 5-wood, and could go without the 3-iron if I had to (prefer to hit the 4). I also have about 3 other drivers, another 3-wood, sand wedge, two putters, and 1- and 2-irons that I don't carry in my bag normally. :tup:

Not only is it more than the rules technically allow, it IS more than the rules allow. Come on Gopher, don't ya ever feel like you are....cheating? :D

Guest ksu70

At least he didn't list a foot wedge in there. :D

True, because I think that one is actually his 17th club, which is a two foot children's club that he sticks in the side pocket.