[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lebron

CaptainHook

Don't remember the stat they threw out last night... but when the series is tied up 2-2, the game 5 winner goes on to win the series a large percentage of the time. Anyone? Help me out here.

Doesn't look good for Detroit... but they did at least have a slim chance with 2 seconds left to get that ball close to dropping.

I hear ya' - but if I'm not mistaken, this exact same thing happened in Detroit/Cleveland last year, where Cleveland won game 5 but lost games 6 and 7. I think, don't hold me to it. But Cleveland looks like they'll win this one.

Lebron was out of his mind last night. I don't understand how he gets those back-to-back dunks in the last minute of regulation - I can't help thinking that if Larry Brown were still coaching the Pistons that there's no way that's allowed to happen, but who knows? Some of Lebron's permieter shots in crunch time last night were just great clutch shots.

LOL at calling Bill Russell's Celtics a one-man show.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted in another thread, the Cavs match up well with San Antonio, winning both games this year (88-81 on 11/3 in San Antonio, 82-78 on 1/2 in Cleveland).

Granted both games were early in the year, but we have enough decent big guys (Ilgauskas, Gooden, Varejao off the bench) to play with Duncan.

I would look forward to seeing Bowen on Lebron. I can't stand Bowen, I think he plays very dirty, but there's no denying that he's a helluva stopper, no matter what his methods. I think Lebron would just be too physically strong for Bowen, be interesting to see if he has enough of a mean streak to just elbow Bowen in the gut a couple times (you know Jordan would have).

I would look forward to seeing Bowen on Lebron. I can't stand Bowen, I think he plays very dirty, but there's no denying that he's a helluva stopper, no matter what his methods. I think Lebron would just be too physically strong for Bowen, be interesting to see if he has enough of a mean streak to just elbow Bowen in the gut a couple times (you know Jordan would have).

That would be one helluva floppin, ball slappin series. Hate to have to ref that series.

Flip's coaching style is to just grind out a victory... tough to accomplish when a Super Star on the other team plays out of his mind like that. He can't really change things up at this point though, can he? I mean you have to stick with the type of game that got you that far... right?

Flip's coaching style is to just grind out a victory... tough to accomplish when a Super Star on the other team plays out of his mind like that. He can't really change things up at this point though, can he? I mean you have to stick with the type of game that got you that far... right?

Unfortunately, if that one superstar has anything short of a spectacular night, their chances of winning go down significantly. With all due respect to Lebron, I don't like their chances against SA (if they even get there).

On both back-to-back dunks at the end of regulation Lebron had single man coverage, and the help if there even was any was very late in rotating over. Can't see that happening on a Larry Brown coached team. In OT Lebron saw some more double teams, even when he had the ball up top 25+ feet away from the basket. The double team forced him into more difficult shots (anything's more difficult than those two dunks at the end of regulation) - he made them 'cause he was playing out of his mind, but I still don't understand how they could not double team him at the end of regulation and take their chances with the fadeaway from 20 feet rather than the driving dunk.

Unfortunately, if that one superstar has anything short of a spectacular night, their chances of winning go down significantly. With all due respect to Lebron, I don't like their chances against SA (if they even get there).

Yup. As far as a competitive finals- I want Da Peestons to pull it out. As much as I love LBJ, he and his Cavs will get dummied by the Spurs 4-1, and probably not be competitive in most of the games.

But for now- LBJ is rolling- that was awesome last night.

His game 5 performance tonight was spectacular. He was a one man show, and Detroit could do nothing to stop him.

Yeah. it was never so obvious how much we miss Big ben as it was last night.

Unfortunately, no one is watching and few actually care.

Yet they post in a basketball thread. hmmm.

Even if they get past DET, I don't see them beating SA. When was the last time that a one-man show won an NBA title (outside of Bill Russell beating up on a bunch of short white guys)?

Hakeem Olojuwan and Tim Duncan come to mind.

IMO. if Prince cannot guard him Bowen cannot either.Bowen won't have to guard him as good though because everytime he beats Bowen Duncan will be there to contest the shot and make him pass.

I can't stand Saunders as our coach. with Ben gone we need Sheed as our last line of defense...not Webber.

On both back-to-back dunks at the end of regulation Lebron had single man coverage, and the help if there even was any was very late in rotating over. Can't see that happening on a Larry Brown coached team. In OT Lebron saw some more double teams, even when he had the ball up top 25+ feet away from the basket. The double team forced him into more difficult shots (anything's more difficult than those two dunks at the end of regulation) - he made them 'cause he was playing out of his mind, but I still don't understand how they could not double team him at the end of regulation and take their chances with the fadeaway from 20 feet rather than the driving dunk.

At the end of that game Lebron was not even looking for another player on his team and had 3 Pistons around him everytime he shot. I was happy with many of the shots(the long jumpers) they made Lebron make,he just made them. and if we would of been playing right we would of won that game...the problem was everytime he got past Prince or Hunter(who should of not been anywhere near trying to guard Lebron anyways) it was a layup straight to the hoop.

It does not look good for my Pistons. usually the team up 3-2 wins and with the Cavs going home I think we are in trouble.congrats Cavs fans.

Even if they get past DET, I don't see them beating SA. When was the last time that a one-man show won an NBA title (outside of Bill Russell beating up on a bunch of short white guys)?

Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn are in the NBA hall of fame too. :D

I don't think any NBA Championship team has won without having multiple stars. Closest might be the 1976 Portland Trail Blazers (Bill Walton).

I think this is the first time that the loss of Big Ben is really being felt. I just can't see those dunks happening if Big Ben was still around. As for Flip, I used to be a Flip basher but I've gained a lot of respect for him during these playoffs. I love the way he's using the bench and I think he's doing a great job at making halftime adjustments. If the Pistons lose this series I think you got to put the blame mostly on the players. Not one starter has been consistant throughout this series.

:D Fun, Fun, Fun with a capital F!! That was a special performance last night by Lebron...very Jordanesk as one of the commentators mentioned. Can you imagine if the Cavs actually had a Pippen like player or complimentary players for Lebron to play off of...WOW!!. Not that they don't have some young talent...but man impressive on the defensive side of the ball too!! GO CAVS

I hear ya' - but if I'm not mistaken, this exact same thing happened in Detroit/Cleveland last year, where Cleveland won game 5 but lost games 6 and 7. I think, don't hold me to it. But Cleveland looks like they'll win this one.

It was a little different last year. Cleveland got blown out in games 1 & 2 in the Palace. This year Cleveland outplayed Detroit in games 1 & 2. If Donyell Marshall had made his 3 and the ref didn't swallow his whistle, this series could have possibly been a Cleveland sweep.

What I can't stand is how everyone says that the Pistons aren't playing great. Oh, he had an off night. He hasn't been producing well this series. Ever friggin think it's because they are up against a decent defense? Ever wanna flip that and say the defense is the reason they're suckin ass?

I think this is the first time that the loss of Big Ben is really being felt. I just can't see those dunks happening if Big Ben was still around. As for Flip, I used to be a Flip basher but I've gained a lot of respect for him during these playoffs. I love the way he's using the bench and I think he's doing a great job at making halftime adjustments. If the Pistons lose this series I think you got to put the blame mostly on the players. Not one starter has been consistant throughout this series.

The only reason I am not blaming Saunders for being down 3-2 is that the Cavs coach has been equally bad.this has been a players series.and coaching is the biggest reason I feel the East does not have a chance against the west in the finals this year.

Saunders covering James with small guards at the top of the key was rediculous. and having Webber as the last line of defense instead of Rasheed Wallace was equally moronic.

On another note...was that not the worst officiated game you ever seen last night? I am not blaming the refs for our loss as both teams were getting horrible calls against them. just bad..bad calls last night.

It was a little different last year. Cleveland got blown out in games 1 & 2 in the Palace. This year Cleveland outplayed Detroit in games 1 & 2. If Donyell Marshall had made his 3 and the ref didn't swallow his whistle, this series could have possibly been a Cleveland sweep.

I hate to agree...but you are right...if those 1st 2 games were in Cleveland they would of beat us by 10 in each.

On another note...was that not the worst officiated game you ever seen last night? I am not blaming the refs for our loss as both teams were getting horrible calls against them. just bad..bad calls last night.

I don't know about ever but there were certainly some bad calls both way. Many missed fouls on Lebron's drives and also Pavlovic. Lebron's face-first dive towards the end (down the left side where he lay on the floor for a while) I didn't see a foul. The 3 where Prince? tapped the shooters hand after the release.

Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn are in the NBA hall of fame too. :D

:D

Admittedly, I'm no NBA historian. Didn't Wilt have a lot less talent around him than Russell?

I don't think any NBA Championship team has won without having multiple stars. Closest might be the 1976 Portland Trail Blazers (Bill Walton).

Yep...

Jordan-Pippen

Duncan-Robinson, Duncan-Parker

Shaq-Kobe, Shaq-Wade

Magic-Kareem-Worthy

Bird-McHale

Isiah-Salley

Billups-Sheed-Hamilton

As much as I'm in awe of LeBron, I don't see another All-Star-caliber player on that roster.

My biggest gripe about the refs is when they'd call ticky-tack fouls, away from the ball when a team is in the bonus situation. This is basically giving a team free points and allowing the refs to have way to much control over a games outcome. It was a badly called game, on both sides. Late in regulation Lebron was given a three point play on a drive to the hoop where he was untouched. But trying to keep an open mind I also saw calls that favored the Pistons. I mean the 24 second shot clock violation late in the game where Varejao was getting mugged resulted in a non-call. I can see how Cleveland fans would be up in arms about that.

My biggest fear is that McDyess gets suspended for the next game. If that happens I think it's over for the Pistons.

Admittedly, I'm no NBA historian. Didn't Wilt have a lot less talent around him than Russell?

Yep...

Jordan-Pippen

Shaq-Kobe, Shaq-Wade

Magic-Kareem-Worthy

Bird-McHale

Isiah-Salley

Billups-Sheed-Hamilton

As much as I'm in awe of LeBron, I don't see another All-Star-caliber player on that roster.

Wow. Of all the players on the Bad Boys, you name Salley as the #2 star?

John Salley's career high in scoring was in 91-92 when he averaged 9.5 ppg. His rebounding high was in 92-93 (with Miami) when he pulled down an amazing 6.1 rpg.

If he's an all-star, then surely Zydrunas (11.9 ppg, 7.0 rpg), Gooden (11.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg), and even Hughes (14.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.7 apg) qualify.

Dumars was the Finals MVP in 89 and Rodman was the NBA Devensive POY in 90. Either of them would be a better choice than Salley.

Edited by KevinL

When did I ever claim that Salley was the "#2 star"?

Yep...

Jordan-Pippen

Shaq-Kobe, Shaq-Wade

Magic-Kareem-Worthy

Bird-McHale

Isiah-Salley

Billups-Sheed-Hamilton

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but he's the only Piston you listed from the Bad Boys era besides Thomas. You didn't use the word "#2 star" anywhere, I apologize for putting words in your mouth.

Edited by KevinL

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but he's the only Piston you listed from the Bad Boys era besides Thomas.

That's probably because names like "Dumars", "Rodman", and "Lambier" didn't jump into my head as I was typing that post and I didn't feel like doing a web search on the '86-'90 Pistons rosters.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but he's the only Piston you listed from the Bad Boys era besides Thomas. You didn't use the word "#2 star" anywhere, I apologize for putting words in your mouth.

Salley was about #8 on those Pistons teams. Thomas, Dumars, and Rodman are the HOFers. Then you had Bill Laimbeer, Vinnie Johnson, James Edwards, Mark Aguirre, and Rick Mahorn. Heck, Adrian Dantley, Darryl Dawkins, and Gerald Henderson all got rings with those two teams as well. Great collection of talent.