[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The White Album

loaf

Damn. My dad has his original copy that he bought the week it was released. It's got the fold out poster in it and everything, and it's been sitting on a shelf untouched for about 20 years. Next time I visit I think I'll steal it and hock it for a couple thou. . . .

My step-father gave me his white album label with the number #108. That's right I have the 108th copy that ran off the press [or whatever you call it] ever made.

Now I dont know what that is worth to a collector but my SF told me he only played it three times, misplaced it, bought another copy back in the day then found the first one he bought and never played it again. No creases in the jacket.

I also have:

a sealed vs of Animals never played, mint condition

a sealed vs of Iron Butterfly's "Heavy" never played but a bend in the jacket

a sealed vs of Deep Purple's Fireball mint condition

These are all first prints.

I know they are worth something but what I dont know and I refuse to sell them. hopefully these will be a nice hawaii family trip in a decade. Who knows. I also have around 300+ records from the late 60s/early 70s he gave me that are all in great condition.

My step-father gave me his white album label with the number #108. That's right I have the 108th copy that ran off the press [or whatever you call it] ever made.

Yes they were pressed vinyl. That's what it was called.

Anyone know if there's a site out there where you can gauge the value of vinyl you own? I have a ton of original albums.

Ebay is the best gauge for what things will actually sell for. If you look at the auctions already completed (advanced search/completed listings), that would tell you what you could expect. I gave my entire record collection away years ago after CD's came out. I know there's audio buffs who contend the sound is better from a record, but I can't tell the difference. $12K for an album just because it's #6 is insane. There was a Beatles album that was released at Sears where the cover was changed to bloody doll parts surrounding the Beatles. It was pulled on the first day and very few copies were released. I saw it featured on Antiques Road Show, and it was supposedly worth $10K.

Found one... this didn't sell for $2500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-FRAMED-THE-BEATLE...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's weird that that butcher album didn't sell for $2500.

That guy sold the Beatles Butcher album about 4 or 5 months ago for something like $26,000.

He also sold this one for $22,000

That is one serious record collector.

My oldest sister let me keep her old singles, among them was the first Beatles single in the USA, Love Me Do. An old friend of mine lost a bet about this record and I showed it to him as proof. He broke it in half. :D After we fought, I haven't spoken to him since. My sis was a hugh Beatles fan. She went to see them when she was 13, maybe their first tour here. She also had a set of small rubberized dolls with the classic Beatles mop head look. My mother threw them away eventually. I saw them somewhere for sale and they were worth thousands. :D Amazing how many things we threw away before computers and eBay are now worth small fortunes.

I have a collection of about 500 LPs that I've been thinking about getting rid of. They just sit in a closet taking up space.

It seems the autographed things bring the big money, which is why I find it odd that the #6 was worth so much. This didn't sell for $8K. That album collection including the "butcher" version seems like it may have been an opportunity to make some money? :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-Signed-45-1968...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think the provenance of this particular album being owned by one of the Beatles' inner circle is also a factor here