[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Geeks

keggerz

to free up more space? my hard drive is packed to the gills and i removed just about everything i dont use...even removed photoshop(was almost 800mb) and completely freed up like 2.5gig but now it is back to only having 400mb open on the hard drive...i havent installed anything else and the only programs that are run are the employee time clock and my Point Of Sale program(could my POS be taking up that much room every time it saves at the end of the day? fwiw it writes over the previous day when it saves)...

I haven't compressed a HD since the old days w/ a prog. called "Stacker".

If you cleared of 2.5Gb and I assume after a re-boot, it is only showing 400Mb, something is weird. I'm gonna guess that if you compress, the system will have to de-compress (in the back ground) and that will slow things up dramatically. Have you considered installing a slave drive? How about a USB drive and move everything off except for the POS s/w?

I'm moving a lot of stuff I don't use to a USB drive and I reclaimed about 26Gb. Mostly games, and d/l'd progs.. If I want to use them again, I'll just copy, or move them back.

I'll email you a little prog. called "Disk Pie Pro". It can give a nice graphic of your drive, biggest directories, etc.

You really do not want to compress your drive. That type of thing went out a long time ago. Do what rr says and get yourself a slave drive or a USB drive.

You might think about getting a much larger primary too.

You really do not want to compress your drive. That type of thing went out a long time ago. Do what rr says and get yourself a slave drive or a USB drive.

You might think about getting a much larger primary too.

well i just bought a 400GB WD Portable Hard Drive but I need that one to go where I go...so could I move my POS software to a portable and run it like that? as far as slave drive goes i dont know if i have any open slots or what have you and I wont be able to peek inside that PC til Monday AM.

Edited by keggerz

A good read....

BUT...you knew the BUT had to be coming...But the major problem introduced by disk compression is SPEED, or rather, lack of it. Disk compression slows down your hard drives by a noticible margin, because every time you open a file, it has to be decompressed into memory. And everytime you save a file, more memory is taken up by the compression process. Of course, the makers of the software packages advertise that the difference is imperceptible. They lie. The difference is indeed perceptible, and I urge everyone to avoid the call of "disk doubling" of any sort.

well i just bought a 400GB WD Portable Hard Drive but I need that one to go where I go...so could I move my POS software to a portable and run it like that? as far as slave drive goes i dont know if i have any open slots or what have you and I wont be able to peek inside that PC til Monday AM.

Check your email. :D

Do not compress.

Go to search, search by file size, and look for files over 10,000KB, make sure you search hidden files too. You could have some hidden error log files taking up gigs of space. How big is the harddrive itself?

Getting a bigger drive and 'ghosting' your current drive to it, in other words, making an exact copy, is not that hard.

Do not compress.

Go to search, search by file size, and look for files over 10,000KB, make sure you search hidden files too. You could have some hidden error log files taking up gigs of space. How big is the harddrive itself?

Getting a bigger drive and 'ghosting' your current drive to it, in other words, making an exact copy, is not that hard.

HD is 50gig

ok did a search and noticed that some temp files were pretty large...

C:WINDOWS/TEMP that temp file has 35Gig :D when i right click and check properties...can I just delete that file? or should I just do a select all and delete the contents?

Edited by keggerz

C:\windows\temp is like a holding area for files that are needed once and then are not needed anymore.

I have never seen one that big before, you def do not need anything in any temp folder. Can you delete it? Do you get an error?

i didnt delete the folder i ran your app(which I had actually run on 3 other occasions and those 3 previous runs saved 1.5GB....this run saved 37.24GB :D:D:tup:

CleanUp! 4.0 recovered 37.24 GB of disc space from 6480 files. Wow! You really needed that.

CleanUp! finished on 6/23/07 16:55:45

C:\windows\temp is like a holding area for files that are needed once and then are not needed anymore.

I have never seen one that big before, you def do not need anything in any temp folder. Can you delete it? Do you get an error?

H8, i create and edit my website using Yahoo's site builder...could it be that some of the graphic intense pages are the ones that were in the temp file that bogged it down? Otherwise do you have any clue as to what would have accounted for that size temp files?(no pron has ever been downloaded).

Otherwise do you have any clue as to what would have accounted for that size temp files?

Without knowing the names of the files I have no idea.

1GB recovered is A LOT, 5GB is huge, 35GB is unheard of.

That little program is quite awesome, I am glad to hear it cleared out your issues. Internet temp files that add up to 50K+ can really affect performance, that apps clears them all out.

i didnt delete the folder i ran your app(which I had actually run on 3 other occasions and those 3 previous runs saved 1.5GB....this run saved 37.24GB :D:D:tup:

Jebbus. :D

Without knowing the names of the files I have no idea.

1GB recovered is A LOT, 5GB is huge, 35GB is unheard of.

That little program is quite awesome, I am glad to hear it cleared out your issues. Internet temp files that add up to 50K+ can really affect performance, that apps clears them all out.

Yeah, it was worth the cost of a coffee table...:doh:

:D

lol! Yeah dude, thats your problem, download and run this: www.h8tank.net/cleanup40.exe

Excellent program, I use it.

Beware of the "prefetch" option if you are using the computer for sharing data (Limewire/Shareaza/etc).

It'll get rid of that temp file you were downloading and you have to start over. LOL

Not that anyone around here would download seasons of TV series or MP3s by the gig.

Thats it, I am coming back to Phoenix... can I borrow your car again? :D

Soup let you drive that mofo? Wow! I took pics of it, and they wouldn't let me drive it. :D And the salespeople snickered when I drove up in my Subie. :tup:

Did you take it on your back roads? Those rear wheel drive MB's do real well in OK mud! :doh:

Soup let you drive that mofo? Wow! I took pics of it, and they wouldn't let me drive it. :D And the salespeople snickered when I drove up in my Subie. :tup:

Did you take it on your back roads? Those rear wheel drive MB's do real well in OK mud! :doh:

No, I drove his old beemer to the store to make my sweetheart some breakfast he wouldn't eat... so I smashed that mofo's table.

:heart: :D

Shoot, I ate, just not a lot...:D

Nah, the new mofo doesn't do so well on roads covered in ice. :shiver: