[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Derek Anderson

Crazysight

Anderson may be looking better but that won't last. They haven't even started training camp or put on pads yet. The best that Anderson could hope for is to start a couple of games until Brady Quinn is deemed starter and even that much would surprise me. Anderson's been around for two years with CLE already, there's nothing new about him.

Browns QB article

if that doesn't work or needs registering:

Anderson reminds Browns he's in mix at QB

Wednesday, June 20, 2007Mary Kay CabotPlain Dealer Reporter

Derek Anderson, after hearing for the hundredth time that Charlie Frye has a leg up in the quarterback competition, reminded Browns coach Romeo Crennel that he, too, has a leg.

Two of them, in fact.

"I run a long ways, like 33 yards," joked Anderson, who's not known for his Michael Vick-like wheels but still ripped off a 33-yard run against Kansas City in over time last sea son to set up the game-win ning field goal.

While most folks assume that it's a two-horse race between Frye and No. 1 pick Brady Quinn, dark horse Anderson still is a good bet.

"I'd say my chances of starting are good," Anderson said. "That's just my sense. I think they're going to give us an equal opportunity. Whoever performs well and moves the team the best is going to be that guy."

Crennel acknowledged that Anderson has the best arm among the three, but it takes more than that to get the job done.

"Along with that, you have to be able to run the offense," Crennel said. "He's getting an equal number of reps as the rest of those guys. He's in the competition and we'll see how it plays out."

During minicamp and organized team activities, Frye and Anderson split the first-team reps, with Quinn and Ken Dorsey backing them up. Anderson said nothing should be read into the fact that he was the first man up in the two-minute drill on the last day of minicamp.

"No, we've been rotating back and forth pretty much every day and getting reps and mixing guys in and out," Anderson said. "When I get in there, I just try to make the most of my opportunities."

Of course, none of the quarterbacks managed a touchdown or even a field goal in their first crack at the two-minute drill, and the entire offense was forced to run gassers as a result. Anderson and Frye fared better the second time, each producing field goals.

They're all struggling," Crennel said of the quarterbacks. "We've got a lot of offense in and we haven't really honed in on it well enough yet."

Anderson said he feels comfortable in offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski's new system because it focuses on two of his strengths, timing throws and down-the-field throws.

"With my limited mobility, throwing on time is obviously part of my thing," Anderson said. "Making those timing throws and getting the ball out on time helps the whole system, the whole line, the running game - it helps everything. I think I do a pretty good job of that most of the time and I'll keep working on that, too."

But Anderson insists he's not merely Lurch lumbering around in the pocket.

"I can move a little bit," he said. "I've got a guy back home [in Oregon] that I work on some agility stuff with and our strength coaches do a pretty good job of that, too. I'll stay on top of that and keep the feet moving."

Anderson gained favor with some of the Browns coaches last season when he came off the bench to rally the team from a 14-point deficit and beat Kansas City in overtime. The following week, he made his first NFL start in Pittsburgh and showed tremendous poise and ability to sidestep the rush - but was victimized by dropped passes. The next week, he was sacked five times in Baltimore, but still managed to complete 13 straight passes in the loss and spread the ball to eight receivers.

But a week later against Tampa Bay when he completed 10 passes and was intercepted four times for a 12.3 rating before leaving with a separated shoulder. But by then, he had intrigued Crennel enough to force a legitimate competition for the job.

Still, Anderson knew the Browns were probably going to either draft a quarterback or sign one in free agency.

"When Brady Quinn started to drop on draft day, I kind of expected something might happen," Anderson said. "It's just the way this league is. They're always looking for something better. I didn't really get down. I was talking to my wife and said 'I'm just going to go do it and whatever happens, happens.' I've just got to know when it's all over that I gave it all I had."

For now, the mystery of the front-runner is as big to the quarterbacks as it is to everyone else.

"We just come in and put our work in and we'll let the chips fall where they may during training camp," Anderson said. "Eventually they'll have to make a decision."

and more:

QB race:

Savage said the quarterback competition should be a two-man race by the end of the first preseason game, Aug. 11.

"It should be whittled down by then through holdout, injury or performance," said Savage. "We have enough reps to get two quarterbacks ready, but not three or four."

Savage said Charlie Frye's experience would've put him ahead at this point if not for the new offense. "It's leveled the playing field and Charlie's not the prettiest practice player," said Savage. "But when the games get under way, he seems to rise to the occasion."

He said Derek Anderson looked better in minicamp be- cause of his height and strong arm. There is some sentiment in the organization that if the season began today, Anderson would be the starter. But Frye can win the job with stellar preseason games.

"The wild card is Brady Quinn," said Savage. "If he's there at the beginning, he'll be right in the mix."

Savage said Quinn can win the job if he gets in on time.

"He's a quick learner and he showed improvement from his first day out there," said Savage. "People keep harping on his three interceptions in the first practice, but he's come a long way."

All 3 are Savage guys signed during his tenure so...

yeah, I don't know what brought the question on but I was thinking he was looking for a backup sleeper QB? Because he sure couldn't be thinking of using a Browns QB as a starter. Not unless yer in a 32 team league would these guys be drafted (non keeper/dynasty of course) and then they would be near the last bunch selected.