[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pellet gun vs BB gun: what's the diff

BeeR

What I mean by that is can I use one as the other, ie load/shoot BBs with pellet guns or the other way around....? Or does the answer vary?

Depends on how it is loaded. A BB is .177 caliber and pellets are either .177 or .22. You can load, one by one, a .177 pellet into a BB gun but only if you have access to the chamber. If you use a BB gun that operates with a spring that is cocked, then no because most of those have a magnet that holds the BB in place for the plunger to strike it. A lead pellett is not magnetic.

What BB gun do you have?

Depends on how it is loaded. A BB is .177 caliber and pellets are either .177 or .22. You can load, one by one, a .177 pellet into a BB gun but only if you have access to the chamber. If you use a BB gun that operates with a spring that is cocked, then no because most of those have a magnet that holds the BB in place for the plunger to strike it. A lead pellett is not magnetic.

What BB gun do you have?

Thx Dave. All we have right now is a Daisy BB "Red Ryder" rifle - not looking to use that but to find something similar in a pistol. Bought one at walmart - yeah I know I was asking for it but (surprise) it's a POS - is accurate up to about 2" (not exaggerating by much if at all). So looking to return that and find something else fairly cheap that at least hits in the same general area for - well even as little as 20-30' would be nice.

The only pistol you are going to find with any accuracy will either be a CO2 one or like a benjamin (and maybe crossman?) that you have to pump up and is a single shot. I know those usually handle pellets or BBs. With pellets, you have to load them one by one unless you get one with a kind of cylinder that you load - and I think that is only in some rifles. problem is that the pellet can only be facing one way when you shoot it - BBs don't matter.

Well this is mostly for "squirell repelllent" purposes, and based on what I've read so far, if you just want to put a hurtin' on varmints but not kill em, BBs are the way to go, due to lower velocity and smaller size ammo. y/n?

This shouldn't take this much effort.....

Edited by BeeR

Well this is mostly for "squirell repelllent" purposes, and based on what I've read so far, if you just want to put a hurtin' on varmints but not kill em, BBs are the way to go, due to lower velocity and smaller size ammo. y/n?

This shouldn't take this much effort.....

Airsoft guns are more fun to shoot at them. Nothing like opening up on an unsuspecting squirrel hanging from your bird feeder full auto. And the aursoft gun won't break the glass on your feeder or your neighbor's house.

Airsoft guns are more fun to shoot at them. Nothing like opening up on an unsuspecting squirrel hanging from your bird feeder full auto. And the aursoft gun won't break the glass on your feeder or your neighbor's house.

Airsoft are great for scaring things. Doubtful it will break the skin of an animal but they certainly will hurt. My son had a airsoft pistol that was broken and he gave it to me to fix. After fixing it, I brought it outside to him because he was going to have an airsoft war with his friends. Since they shoot each other (but wear safety glasses), I figured they must not hurt much and as he was walking up the walkway, I shot him in the stomach and he went down like it was a 9mm that hit him. I felt pretty bad about it. He told me later that they have a rule you cannot shoot someone if they are less than like 25 feet away and I was only maybe ten. I am glad he is past that phase. I would guess it would be pretty traumatic for a squirrel to get plugged with one. For the record, those spring loaded pistols are pretty weak but evidently not only ten feet away with a gut shot.

I figured they must not hurt much and as he was walking up the walkway, I shot him in the stomach and he went down like it was a 9mm that hit him. I felt pretty bad about it. He told me later that they have a rule you cannot shoot someone if they are less than like 25 feet away and I was only maybe ten.

:D

I had a problem with the rats with furry tails too... I bought a Crossman 1008 RepeatAir pistol, CO2 powered with an 8 shot sort of clip thing. It was modeled to look like a .44. Yes, it could be lethal up to about 25 feet for the first 8 shots on a new CO2 cartridge. Then, the velocity dropped off. The little bassads had gotten into my crawl space/attic, and started to chew into the living room ceiling. Once they nest... they are there to stay unless you kill them, and kill them I did. Maybe as many as ten.....

The nice thing about that pellet gun was that if I missed, I could get another 3 or 4 shots off within about 2 seconds. I put many a pellet up those rodents' behinds with a second, third or fourth shot. I'm not a hunter, and frankly didn't like it much when I killed the first one, but after that it was fun.

One time, I'm sneaking around the side of my house... where the neighbors can see me from their kitchen. I'm stalkin a couple rodents that I saw in the front yard. This aint Kansas, or Texas either... it's the Long Island suburbs. I hear their mentally challenged 30 year old son start yelling "He's got a gun! He's got a gun!" This thing LOOKS like a 44 cal pistol.... guess I scared em some! :D:D

Got rid if the lil buggers that way... and now have a Lurcher. Not a recignized AKC breed, but it's a greyhound/ Border collie mix that is OBSESSED with killing and eating these rodents... rabbits too. All I find in the yard is the tails...... this breed is super fast, can turn on a dime at full speed and I've seen her get a squirrel off of low lying tree limbs as far as almost 8 feet off the ground. These rodents aren't stupid.... they NEVER go in my yard anymore.