[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arthur Blank to speak at 4 PM EST

DMD

I seriously doubt that.

Really, you people are just blind as hell-Vick will most likely be in a Fedearl Pen in 08. I can't beleive that people think that Vick will play for the Falcons again, he may never wear another NFL uni ever again, and the odds are more that he "never will" over "he'll play again"-if you think otherwise....sorry, put down the dumbass juice please.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think blank wanted the 4 game suspension so it would seem like action had been taken, thus decreasing the odds of any further suspension. goodell, intent on being the tough new sherriff in town, said hold on. vick will probably plead guilty to something, goodell will slap him with a year suspension, and vick will be back with the falcons in 2008. that is my best prediction, but who the hell knows at this point.

You had me until "back with the Falcons". I don't think that's going to happen. He could be in jail, he could be out of the game or he could be working for Al Davis but I doubt he'll be a Falcon.

Too bad it wasn't within the rules of federal, state, and local laws.

Yes, but that's a separate issue from whether Bond's performance belongs in the record books or not. Going by the rules of baseball, it looks like it does. Hank Aaron can get pissed about it, fans can dislike him as much as they want, he might even get busted by the cops, but what he did seems to be within the rules of the game. He won't be the first SOB who has a bust in Cooperstown--Ty Cobb being the classic example.

Even on the legalities, you could argue that any pitcher who ever threw at a player or any guy who ever charged the mound could be brought up on assault charges--technically if they did it with an intent to harm then it's a crime. Go throw a 98 mph fastball at your neighbor's head after his dog craps on your lawn and see where you end up.

Yes, but that's a separate issue from whether Bond's performance belongs in the record books or not.

I wasn't arguing that. Barry was a first-ballot HOFer before he began using 'roids and HGH in the '98/'99 offseason.

How did Barry Bonds ever make it into this thread anyway?

If MLB vanished off the face of the earth....it would be years until I noticed it was gone and someone would most definently have to enlighten me on the fact-worst sport on the planet. I'm sorry, but baseball, Bonds or Selig have no place whatsoever here.

If MLB vanished off the face of the earth....it would be years until I noticed it was gone and someone would most definently have to enlighten me on the fact-worst sport on the planet. I'm sorry, but baseball, Bonds or Selig have no place whatsoever here.

What is this MLB you speak of? :D

He said he wanted to suspend him for four games. They started the paperwork but Goodell said no.

The way I understand it, if the team suspends a player the player can appeal the suspension. And if the player appeals the suspension, it goes to an arbitrator. And if it goes to an arbitrator, the arbitrator would likely overturn the suspension since Vick hasn't been convicted of any crime. So I guess Goodell wanted to spare us all that whole process. That's why he told the Falcons not to suspend him.

It amazes me (and sometime entertains) to see people get pissed off about anything on a message board. :D

:D I know this might surprise you, but, I agree 100% with that statement. It has always amazed me.

Really, you people are just blind as hell-Vick will most likely be in a Fedearl Pen in 08. I can't beleive that people think that Vick will play for the Falcons again, he may never wear another NFL uni ever again, and the odds are more that he "never will" over "he'll play again"-if you think otherwise....sorry, put down the dumbass juice please.

lol :D the irony

i think some of you are letting your blind hatred of vick as a player -- something that was clearly evident among about 70% of huddlers long before we heard anything about dog-fighting, based in my opinion on people calling him a good QB when you see him as such a bad passer -- cloud your assessment of the facts here. if he pleas, as i expect him to, and receives a short jail sentence, serves a year suspension, and so on...i think it is far more likely he comes back to the NFL as a falcon than playing for any other team. i could be wrong obviously, but i feel pretty strongly that is the case. i mean, is being involved in dog fighting so much worse than pleading guilty to drug conspiracy charges, or being involved in a murder, or paralyizing a bouncer at a strip joint? jamal and ray-ray were welcomed back to the ravens, and if pac-man gets the boot from the titans it will be for repeated nature of his issues, not the seriousness of any one of them. it is clear blank loves vick almost like a son, and that doesn't just change with the flip of a switch.

i just can't wait to see blitz' reaction to all the sappy vick prodigal son, comeback stories in 2008. :D

oh and hey, dorey is the one who introduced the bonds storyline to this thread, not me. :D

i think some of you are letting your blind hatred of vick as a player -- something that was clearly evident among about 70% of huddlers long before we heard anything about dog-fighting, based in my opinion on people calling him a good QB when you see him as such a bad passer -- cloud your assessment of the facts here. if he pleas, as i expect him to, and receives a short jail sentence, serves a year suspension, and so on...i think it is far more likely he comes back to the NFL as a falcon than playing for any other team. i could be wrong obviously, but i feel pretty strongly that is the case. i mean, is being involved in dog fighting so much worse than pleading guilty to drug conspiracy charges, or being involved in a murder, or paralyizing a bouncer at a strip joint? jamal and ray-ray were welcomed back to the ravens, and if pac-man gets the boot from the titans it will be for repeated nature of his issues, not the seriousness of any one of them. it is clear blank loves vick almost like a son, and that doesn't just change with the flip of a switch.

i just can't wait to see blitz' reaction to all the sappy vick prodigal son, comeback stories in 2008. :D

But I think it can and it has. Did you see Arthur Blank at the press conference? He looked very disturbed and distraught. He himself said that the stuff in the indictment is vile and disgusting. He personally counted Vick's name in there, which was 50 times. When he said that, he looked like he was in shock. If all of this is true, it seems as though Vick would then have lied to Goodell AND Blank about his involvement. That is enough to flip that switch. The three guys, Blank, McKay, and Petrino all danced around the questions pertaining to Vick and his future with the Falcons. Obviously they want to wait for due process, but c'mon now, the writing is on the wall.

And I think another problem is the simple idea of him being the quarterback of a team. The face of a franchise. The supposed leader. Ray might have been the leader before, but still. Pac-Mac? Hardly. Vick is bigger than both those guys.

But I think it can and it has. Did you see Arthur Blank at the press conference? He looked very disturbed and distraught. He himself said that the stuff in the indictment is vile and disgusting. He personally counted Vick's name in there, which was 50 times. When he said that, he looked like he was in shock. If all of this is true, it seems as though Vick would then have lied to Goodell AND Blank about his involvement. That is enough to flip that switch. The three guys, Blank, McKay, and Petrino all danced around the questions pertaining to Vick and his future with the Falcons. Obviously they want to wait for due process, but c'mon now, the writing is on the wall.

And I think another problem is the simple idea of him being the quarterback of a team. The face of a franchise. The supposed leader. Ray might have been the leader before, but still. Pac-Mac? Hardly. Vick is bigger than both those guys.

I counted Vick's name as well. Not trying to create similarities but I do question the importance of that statement. Of course they danced they don't want to see anything that would increase this "distraction". They seem to be content in giving him the 4 game suspension and allow further punishment to be sorted out by the courts.

Ray was charged with stabbing two people to death. Vick is charged with killing dogs. Hardly the same.

they're dancing around the question because they want to keep their options open depending on how things play out. if he clearly didn't have a future with the team, there is no reason they couldn't at least imply as much, it would sure save the organization a LOT of heat. and again, i don't know how you can read the attempted 4-game suspension as anything BUT an attempt to take it out of the league's hands with a preemptive punishment, with an eye toward vick playing for the falcons THIS season. there is no way they push a 4-game suspension if there intention is getting him out of a falcons jersey for good.

I counted Vick's name as well. Not trying to create similarities but I do question the importance of that statement. Of course they danced they don't want to see anything that would increase this "distraction". They seem to be content in giving him the 4 game suspension and allow further punishment to be sorted out by the courts.

Ray was charged with stabbing two people to death. Vick is charged with killing dogs. Hardly the same.

I'm sorry but there is a distinct difference between the owner of a team saying something and some scrub on an internet message board. Obviously you did not watch the press conference and see Blank's expressions and the sadness in his face every time he said Vick and anything specifically about the charges.

Um, and thanks for stating the obvious when you say they don't want to say anything that would increase this "distraction." Why do you have it in quotes? Is it not a distraction?

And being content with giving him the 4 game suspension? That was the only thing they could have done besides cut him, which they obviously won't do now because they wouldn't be able to collect any signing bonus money.

And thanks for explaining the difference between being charged with killing people and dogs. I wasn't talking about the crime. I was talking about their star power and notoriety.

You were wrong about being suspended at all, you are probably wrong about this too. Some people have explained how they can see Vick in a Falcon uniform next season. Please tell me how you see that playing out, as I am sure that will be entertaining and be debated about.

they're dancing around the question because they want to keep their options open depending on how things play out. if he clearly didn't have a future with the team, there is no reason they couldn't at least imply as much, it would sure save the organization a LOT of heat. and again, i don't know how you can read the attempted 4-game suspension as anything BUT an attempt to take it out of the league's hands with a preemptive punishment, with an eye toward vick playing for the falcons THIS season. there is no way they push a 4-game suspension if there intention is getting him out of a falcons jersey for good.

Once again, they can't cut him now if they expect to get money back. Four game suspension would have been the band-aid from the Falcons standpoint, letting them do more later once they know even more details or the result. The TC ban is a band-aid from Goodell for the same thing. So say that the Falcons do in fact want to get rid of him. They would be very smart to wait because they can recoup money from the contract. Who knows if they have decided, but if they did, they are going to wait.

Edited by Goopster24

I agree that Vick probably comes back to the NFL after his sentence, but I think that there's about snowball's chance in hell that it's with the Falcons. Blank "loves Vick like a son"? I imagine that his relationship with Vick is strictly business and that he's massively pissed off at Ron Mexico for betraying his trust and embarrassing the Falcons organization for the nth time. Hell, even before this investigation broke, I thought that this was Vick's last season in ATL, given that his $6 million+ base salary isn't worth his production at QB. At this point, Vick's release before July of next year seems like a foregone conclusion.

As for the comparison to Ray and Jamal Lewis, the case against Ray committing murder was incredibly weak. On the other hand, the case against Vick supporting (and, according to the witnesses, participating in) animal abuse on a massive scale is much stronger. I also don't recall Ray-Ray negligently infecting a woman with genital herpes, flipping off his own fans, trying to sneak Josh Gordon onto a plane, or somebody from his entourage stealing a Rolex from somebody at an airport. And while nobody likes drug dealers, selling cocaine doesn't exactly turn the stomach of Joe Average Fan like slamming a dog to the ground until it dies.

Edited by Bill Swerski