[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should election ballots be in multiple languages?

H8tank

Should election ballots be in multiple languages?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should election ballots be in multiple languages?

• Yes, we should make voting as easy as possible for all
    • No. Only US citizens can vote. A criteria of being a citizen is being proficient in English.

Is this a real issue? Is this multi-lingual ballot printing being seriously considered anywhere in the US, or is this another H8 strawman special?

I think I know what the more likely answer is.

i'm pretty sure a lot of places print ballots in spanish, perhaps even most places. there are usually local initiatives to implement "english-only" ballots that are shouted down pretty vigorously by those you'd expect. it's kind of a dumb issue, but not really a made-up one.

Since you have to be a citizen in order to vote, the requirements of citizenship are relevant.

Here's part of them:

Language

Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 15 years and are over 55 years of age;

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 20 years and are over 50 years of age; or

have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.

Surely any attempt to make voting papers bilingual would contradict the requirements for being able to vote in the first place?

i'm pretty sure a lot of places print ballots in spanish, perhaps even most places. there are usually local initiatives to implement "english-only" ballots that are shouted down pretty vigorously by those you'd expect.

I wonder how closely those that do the shouting check the non-English-speaking voters for evidence of citizenship. :D

Given that I was allowed to vote in Indiana with an Illinois driver's license once (didn't know I couldn't do this at the time), methinks that there is an absolute ton of fraud going on at the polls.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Yeah, strawman... :D

Sorry you are so ill-informed of current issues... this has been an ongoing problem, I posted this today in response to the complete morans in the other thread.

Washington - A group of House conservatives failed Wednesday to end a federal requirement for bilingual ballots in some states and communities, but not before sparking a heated debate about assimilation and the English language.

There is no question in my mind that #2 is the white answer.

Nicely played. :D

Although I can see why making certain most voters completely understand every ballot would be intimidating to the Republicans out there.

Edited by cre8tiff

Yeah, strawman... :D

Sorry you are so ill-informed of current issues... this has been an ongoing problem, I posted this today in response to the complete morans in the other thread.

Washington - A group of House conservatives failed Wednesday to end a federal requirement for bilingual ballots in some states and communities, but not before sparking a heated debate about assimilation and the English language.

Wowsers, one whole article in the bastion of current events that is The Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal from a year-and-a-half ago. I guess you showed me. How could I be so ignorant of what's obviously such a critical issue facing the nation?

Of all of the things that need to be changed in this country - and there are lots - this one "issue" based on little more than bigotry comes in REALLY low on the priority list.

I guess you showed me. How could I be so ignorant of what's obviously such a critical issue facing the nation?

You asked a stupid question, I gave you the facts that make you look stupid.

The poll is in response to the other thread, can you compute foktardian?

You asked a stupid question, I gave you the facts that make you look stupid.

The poll is in response to the other thread, can you compute foktardian?

I've been clearly bested by your impeccable logic and debate skills. How will I ever live with the shame?