[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NYG Safety Situation

Tford

[Link to the Story

Demps losing starting safety job to James Butler

7/28/2007, 6:11 p.m. EDT

By TOM CANAVAN

The Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Will Demps apparently lost his starting free safety job to James Butler even before the New York Giants opened training camp at the University at Albany on Saturday.

Butler worked with first team safety Gibril Wilson, while Demps was paired with Michael Stone on the second unit.

Demps started all 16 games and the playoffs last season, recording a career-high 116 tackles and two interceptions in a season in which he was coming off major knee surgery.

"As a competitor and being a starter my whole career of course it is going to tick you off," Demps said. "But I have to sit back and compete and understand I am a team player, whatever they want. I am going to go out and compete. My track record speaks for itself. I am not going to complain. I am going to go out there and have fun because we are all teammates."

Butler, who appeared in 14 games last season mostly on special teams, tried to play down his promotion.

"It's just playing the game, trying to find the best players at positions," Butler said.

I originally thought this to be a motivator for Demps to pick up his game but the more I read on it, the more it seems as though Demps will in fact not be starting. Anyone have anymore info on this?

[Link to the Story

Demps losing starting safety job to James Butler

7/28/2007, 6:11 p.m. EDT

By TOM CANAVAN

The Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Will Demps apparently lost his starting free safety job to James Butler even before the New York Giants opened training camp at the University at Albany on Saturday.

Butler worked with first team safety Gibril Wilson, while Demps was paired with Michael Stone on the second unit.

Demps started all 16 games and the playoffs last season, recording a career-high 116 tackles and two interceptions in a season in which he was coming off major knee surgery.

"As a competitor and being a starter my whole career of course it is going to tick you off," Demps said. "But I have to sit back and compete and understand I am a team player, whatever they want. I am going to go out and compete. My track record speaks for itself. I am not going to complain. I am going to go out there and have fun because we are all teammates."

Butler, who appeared in 14 games last season mostly on special teams, tried to play down his promotion.

"It's just playing the game, trying to find the best players at positions," Butler said.

I originally thought this to be a motivator for Demps to pick up his game but the more I read on it, the more it seems as though Demps will in fact not be starting. Anyone have anymore info on this?

Demps did stink it up last year.

The story doesn't say anything about Gibril moving to FS. Why is that part in the title of your post?

Giants | Wilson working at free safetySat, 28 Jul 2007 22:59:22 -0700

Arthur Staple, of Newsday, reports New York Giants S Gibril Wilson is listed as the No. 1 free safety on the team's depth chart.

Giants | Butler working as No. 1 strong safety

Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:58:32 -0700

Arthur Staple, of Newsday, reports New York Giants S James Butler is listed as the No. 1 strong safety on the team's depth chart.

We saw Butler running with the 1s in mini-camp in a rotation with Wilson and Will Demps, so I assumed there was nothing to read into that. But I was just handed the first depth chart of the season, and Butler is listed as a strong safety with Wilson at free and Demps as the No. 2 free safety.

Funny thing is that the giants web site has Gibril at SS and Butler at FS :D