[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2nd year playing, need some advice!

Hello everyone, this is my first post on these boards.

This is my second year playing fantasy football, and I'm commissioner of our league, and the lottery has me drafting third.

The first two picks in the draft are the only two people who know more about football than I do, everyone else isn't very actively informed.

Of course it's a spider draft. It's an 8 team league, and we will be starting 2 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF.

Our scoring is pretty standard, but we do have 1 pt per reception.

Because of this, with the third pick I want to get a RB who is going to catch a lot of balls. I'm looking at getting Brian Westbrook.

Would that be a reach? LT and Jackson are off the board, basically. I don't want to pick Larry Johnson because of the holdout.

And then my second dilemma, I was discussing with my best friend how I had an amazing pick that I was planning on getting the fourth round.

He basically read my mind and knew it was Antonio Gates, and said that he's going to pick him up in the 3rd round. (He has first overall)

Which means the only way to get him would be for me to draft him in the second round, obviously hoping that there would still be a decent WR or RB to pick up 4 picks later in the third (after the two more informed people pick twice each)

Would it be stupid to get Gates in the second? He truly is in a league of his own. And also, is there a better back I should probably get instead of Westbrook? Or perhaps trade my pick to a later spot to get Westbrook 6th overall and pick up another 2nd rounder to get Gates?

Please help me! I'm so lost!!!

1st- Spider draft? I think you mean serpentine.

2nd- If you aren't taking LJ, Gore is probably the way to go at #3. If you really want a guy like Westbrook I would try to move down to get him , Addai or Bush.

3rd- 8 team leagues run a little funny compared to 12 and even 10s. I used to play in one. this effects .....

4th- Gates in the 2nd. I would normally say no (unless you get an extra 2nd by moving down in the first) BUT in an 8 team league I say its worth a try since the RB depth will still be pretty good when you pick at 3.3. And then WR in the 4th & 5th would also be good because there are only 7 other teams. Ultimately I don't think Gates is worth a 2nd but I think you could make it work especially if the other 5 owners are real n00bs.

4- Addressed a little in #2 but Westbrook at 3 is a reach especially if you plan on going Gates in the 2nd. Too much of any injury risk and gametime decisions

5- Start 2 QBs- I'm assuming your waiting till the 6th or 7th round to get your 1st one?

Good luck and Welcome! :D

Edited by Zooty

If you are starting a combined 6 players at 2 positions, 3xRB and 3xWR, you shouldn't even be thinking TE in the 2nd round. 4th round maybe for Gates as he is a monster but there will be plenty of other TEs available in the 6/7/8 round range. Stock up early on RBs, with 8 teams starting a possible 3 each you won't have much to chose from if you use picks on TEs or even QBs early.

1st- Spider draft? I think you mean serpentine.

2nd- If you aren't taking LJ, Gore is probably the way to go at #3. If you really want a guy like Westbrook I would try to move down to get him , Addai or Bush.

3rd- 8 team leagues run a little funny compared to 12 and even 10s. I used to play in one. this effects .....

4th- Gates in the 2nd. I would normally say no (unless you get an extra 2nd by moving down in the first) BUT in an 8 team league I say its worth a try since the RB depth will still be pretty good when you pick at 3.3. And then WR in the 4th & 5th would also be good because there are only 7 other teams. Ultimately I don't think Gates is worth a 2nd but I think you could make it work especially if the other 5 owners are real n00bs.

4- Addressed a little in #2 but Westbrook at 3 is a reach especially if you plan on going Gates in the 2nd. Too much of any injury risk and gametime decisions

5- Start 2 QBs- I'm assuming your waiting till the 6th or 7th round to get your 1st one?

Good luck and Welcome! :D

LOL yeah, I meant serpentine. I actually meant snake, but yeah.

I was thinking about Gore, but I feel like he is an injury risk as well. And I really think Westbrook is going to blow up the opposition, then again I'm from Philly and a die-hard Eagles fan. Because of that, I'm afraid if I was able to swing a trade to the 5th spot or 6th spot that he wouldn't be there. I'm debating between him and Gore, but I think I have to give Westbrook the edge because he's coming into the season healthy and he will catch a lot of balls.

I know with certainty that my friend with first overall (LT) is also going to take Gates with his 3rd round if I do not in the 2nd. This would leave him with the best RB and the best TE in the game. I figure I can easily pick up a reciever who will be very respectable with my third rounder if I steal Gates.

That would leave me with a big gap to sit on until my fourth round pick, where I'd want to draft another RB. Maybe my strategy is entirely flawed, idk.

Originally I was hoping to get Ronnie Brown in the 2nd round. So assuming Ronnie and (obviously) Antonio were available, what would be the best selection?

However, in the unlikely event Steve Smith falls to my 2nd round pick, I think I'd have to go with him. *shrug

If you are starting a combined 6 players at 2 positions, 3xRB and 3xWR, you shouldn't even be thinking TE in the 2nd round. 4th round maybe for Gates as he is a monster but there will be plenty of other TEs available in the 6/7/8 round range. Stock up early on RBs, with 8 teams starting a possible 3 each you won't have much to chose from if you use picks on TEs or even QBs early.

Very good point...

with PPR scoring...this is my top 3

LT

SJax

Addai

if you see Addai there and the other 2 are gone, I think you go with him..

he had 40 catches in a RBBC where he started the 1st month light and then started having more opportunities...plus he's the primary ball carrier in what is probably the most potent offense in the NFL....if not one of THE...plus he's the unrivaled starter and has fresh legs unlike LJ and Alexander...

LOL yeah, I meant serpentine. I actually meant snake, but yeah.

I was thinking about Gore, but I feel like he is an injury risk as well. And I really think Westbrook is going to blow up the opposition, then again I'm from Philly and a die-hard Eagles fan. Because of that, I'm afraid if I was able to swing a trade to the 5th spot or 6th spot that he wouldn't be there. I'm debating between him and Gore, but I think I have to give Westbrook the edge because he's coming into the season healthy and he will catch a lot of balls.

I know with certainty that my friend with first overall (LT) is also going to take Gates with his 3rd round if I do not in the 2nd. This would leave him with the best RB and the best TE in the game. I figure I can easily pick up a reciever who will be very respectable with my third rounder if I steal Gates.

That would leave me with a big gap to sit on until my fourth round pick, where I'd want to draft another RB. Maybe my strategy is entirely flawed, idk.

Originally I was hoping to get Ronnie Brown in the 2nd round. So assuming Ronnie and (obviously) Antonio were available, what would be the best selection?

However, in the unlikely event Steve Smith falls to my 2nd round pick, I think I'd have to go with him. *shrug

I am from Philly as well but in FF you can never let your heart pick a player. Pick with your mind. Westbrook is not a top 3 RB and the odds of him touching the ball more then 15 to 20 times is not high in Reid's system. He can say he will run the ball all he wants but when it comes to gametime, we have seen what he leans towards. LJ is getting closer and would be the bext pick if he is in camp. In an 8 team league where the player depth is huge, I'd rather have Johnson or Gore and grab someone like Bush in the 2nd round.

Even with the point per reception there is no way I could take Westbrook at 3 around the 5-6 mark would be a good pick for him he is just always injured even last year he spent most of the season atleast being probable, Gore and Addai are the 2 you should be looking at here Gore is the obvious pick but Addai has enormous upside in that offense especially with a point per reception. In the 2nd round I would be looking at guys like Willie Parker (Doubtful to be there but if he is jump all over him), Maroney, Travis Henry, then Ronnie Brown just my personal opinion.

As far as Gates goes I wouldn't be taking him before the 4th I just feel there is better value WRs and RBs to pick before him in this sized league.

Edited by half_hennessy

There is no way you can take a TE early in a league like this. Having the best at a position does not matter a whole lot when the spread between the #1 TE and the #8 TE is predicted to be 70 pts (or 5pts per reg. season game). Considering you can start 3RBs every week, the PPR format, and the non-skill of the 4-8 teams, I would strive to draft Gore, Bush (if there) or Willie Parker, and Ronnie Brown with your top 3 picks. You will get a ton of catches and dominate your league. The spread between the #1 and #8 RB is thought to be over 110 pts (over 8 per week). Let the others take the TEs and QBs off the board while you stock up on RB and then WRs.