[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surprising QBs

SLGRAF

Often, there are 1-2 QBs who post great numbers, who were unexpected to do so before the season started. In some cases, it was because they played on a team with a bad defense, and were playing from behind alot, and therefore had to throw the ball a ton in the 2nd halves of games. Many people are predicting that Kitna will be one of those guys this year. Are there any others?

The two, other than Kitna, that jump out at me are Matt Leinart and Alex Smith. Arizona's defense is mediocre, and they have improved their o-line, which should give Leinart more time. He now has a full year of NFL experience under his belt, and two great receivers, and a RB who can catch balls. When they trail late in games, I think Leinart will be chucking the ball all over the field. I also like Alex Smith. Not because S.F's defense is terrible; I think it is gradually improving. The reason I like him is that defenses will focus on stopping Gore after his great rookie campaign, leaving the WRs in single coverage. And, I think their WR's are underrated, and Vernon Davis has the potential to be a beast.

Anyone disagree, or have other recommendations?

I honesly think Josh McCown deserves to be looked at early - by that I mean watch all preseason. I've always liked him, as he was a gamer with a Sega!e Arizona team. If Oakland is no better than last year, then he won't be worth much. BUT if they improve with him taking snaps while JR sits, he could be a very deep sleeper.

As I said, this bear some watching, but if you're looking for a guy to 'come out of nowhere' I don't think Kitna or Leinert qualify as they're ranked top 12 by most.

Edited by Pope Flick

As I said, this bear some watching, but if you're looking for a guy to 'come out of nowhere' I don't think Kitna or Leinert qualify as they're ranked top 12 by most.

I agree that the QBs I mentioned are hardly deep sleepers. But, given where they are being drafted in most leagues, if Kitna ends up a top-5 FFL QB, and Leinart and/or Smith end up top-10 FFL QBs, they would all be categorized as surprises by most people.

I like Jake Delhomme! With the new offense and short passes to DeAngelo williams turning into long gains, kinda like Brees and Bush. I'm not saying DeAngelo is Bush by no means but the panthers have any easy go of it for about the first 6 weeks or so.....@STL HOU @ATL TB @NO @ARI BYE IND @TEN ATL @GB NO SF @JAC SEA DAL ? How can you not crush that schedule through the air? They may loose but Smith if healthy should have some big games.........You heard it hear first...........Did you see my post about Looks and touches combined with ease of schedule? Don't you think that would be a great draft tool?

I agree that ease of schedule is also a factor when trying to pick out surprises. Find the teams who underachieved record-wise last year due to injuries or for other reasons, and who therefore have easy schedules this year. Take a team who is healthier this year than last year, and combine that with an easier schedule than last year, and you could get some fireworks.

I agree that the QBs I mentioned are hardly deep sleepers. But, given where they are being drafted in most leagues, if Kitna ends up a top-5 FFL QB, and Leinart and/or Smith end up top-10 FFL QBs, they would all be categorized as surprises by most people.

I'd respectfullly disagree, as Kitna goes near the top 5 in many drafts and Leinert top 10. Smith isn't a complete surprise either. Kitna's 'come from nowhere' was last year when half of FF players wouldn't have even taken him as their QB2.

THAT's what a sleeper is.

Not sure if he's really a surprise but I like Romo and P. Rivers to be potential top 10 qb's

check out my post on rating qb's thanks

Romo & Rivers? Hmm. Well, both are on teams that have gone through a coaching change, and both are on teams coming off of winning records, which means no help from the schedule makers. I like Romo to be solid this season, and Rivers to be decent, but neither to go nuts or anything.

If Kitna is ranked as #6 how is top 5 a surprise? Same with Leinart ranked 11 top 10 not a surprise. If Alex smith ends up in top 10 that is a surprise.

If Kitna is ranked as #6 how is top 5 a surprise? Same with Leinart ranked 11 top 10 not a surprise. If Alex smith ends up in top 10 that is a surprise.

I'm talking about overall rankings, not just one. I've seen Kitna ranked as low as 10th by some sources, and both Leinart and Smith outside of the top-15 by some.

How come I can't get any love for " Daylight come and we want to Delhomme?" He's ranked 15 in the huddle? If he's not a surprise after last years low output? I think with a healthy team,easy schedule and a new cordinator...........It has the makings..... :D But I'm gonna try to pick Travis Henry at 12, so what could i possible know about FF :D

How come I can't get any love for " Daylight come and we want to Delhomme?" He's ranked 15 in the huddle? If he's not a surprise after last years low output? I think with a healthy team,easy schedule and a new cordinator...........It has the makings..... :DBut I'm gonna try to pick Travis Henry at 12, so what could i possible know about FF :D

12???? I think he's goin' at 6 in my league. :wacko:

Jake Delhomme Went 11.6 in the Huddle TopGun Draft - 12-Team / Performance and Leinhart went 11.7? Here's were everyone else went, your sleeper has to come out of this group!

12.11 A Smith

12-12 Grossman

13.4 Lefty

13.11 Losman

14.5 Pennington

14.8 Cambell

14.10 Schaub

15.10 Garcia ( I didn't see Sim's)

18.3 Culpepper

@ 154678 Vick :D

What about Schaub? EOS s@cks but he's got weapons and he's mobile enough not to get sacked a million times, I know you said sleeper not coma!