[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3rd pick in the draft

Flypaste

The Scoring Rules:

WR/RB/TE

6 point TD

2 points for a 2 point conversion

1 bonus point for scores from 21 to 50 yards.

2 bonus point for scores from 51 to 75 yards.

4 bonus point for scores from 76 to 100 yards.

1 bonus point for 50 to 74 total yards.

2 bonus point for 75 to 99 total yards.

3 bonus point for 100 to 149 total yards.

5 bonus point for 150 to 199 total yards.

8 bonus point for 200 to 300 total yards

QB

6 point TD

2 points for a 2 point conversion

1 bonus point(s) for scores from 21 to 50 yards.

2 bonus point(s) for scores from 51 to 75 yards.

4 bonus point(s) for scores from 76 to 100 yards.

1 bonus point(s) for 200 to 249 total yards.

2 bonus point(s) for 250 to 299 total yards.

5 bonus point(s) for 300 to 349 total yards.

7 bonus point(s) for 350 to 399 total yards.

10 bonus point(s) for 400 to 600 total yards.

Due to this unique scoring 9 out of the top ten performers last season were QB's. Peyton Mannning was #1 finishing with just 10 more points than LT2. The top 20 broke down into 15 QB's, 2 K's & 3 RBs (LT2@2, LJ@12 &SJax@20.)

I have been considering Manning with the 3rd overall pick but I'm beginning to grow more uncomfortable with that thought... I have never drafted a QB in the first round and as a result I have never been the Manning owner.

I'm at a real loss here. LT2 & SJax will be off the board. What palyer offers the most value here?

side note: In 13 seasons of existence not once was a draft pick traded in my local.

Depends on draft history, but I'd probably still take a rb. The key for me here isn't that Manning was the highest scorer, but that 15 of the top 20 were qb's, meaning you'll still be able to get a comparable pick later on, probably not so with rb. My only hesitation is that the rest of the league will all go qb in the first round knowing the system, so you could take manning and still get excellent rbs.

Manning, Palmer & McNabb(Homer Pick) always go early. That said there was only 31 points between Manning and the next QB Brees(undrafted) so I could get Brady, Brees, Bulger ar even Kitna (we are not penalized fo INT's) later.

My RB choices would be LJ, Gore or Addai in that slot. I'm not sure about them either. Like I said, I am at a real loss woth this pick.

Edited by Flypaste

THe fact that 15 of the top 20 were QBs shows that there is not a lot of value at that position, just a lot of scoring. My local had a similar system for many years where length of TD was hugh in compairson to yardage.

That said, QB just is not a high value position unless you are starting 2 of them. RBs, and to a lesser extent, WRs, with long distance scoring potential are hugh. I really wish LJ was signed so I could confidently say that this is a structure where I would take him ahead of Gore, but it is a big risk to do so. Either way, I'm taking whoever is your highest rated RB at draft time. IMO, if LJ is signed, he is your pick given the bonus structure of the system, otherwise go safe and take Gore.

THe fact that 15 of the top 20 were QBs shows that there is not a lot of value at that position, just a lot of scoring. My local had a similar system for many years where length of TD was hugh in compairson to yardage.

That said, QB just is not a high value position unless you are starting 2 of them. RBs, and to a lesser extent, WRs, with long distance scoring potential are hugh. I really wish LJ was signed so I could confidently say that this is a structure where I would take him ahead of Gore, but it is a big risk to do so. Either way, I'm taking whoever is your highest rated RB at draft time. IMO, if LJ is signed, he is your pick given the bonus structure of the system, otherwise go safe and take Gore.

:D

Thanks BC. I appreciate the input. I, as you pointed out, would also like LJ to have his restructured contract in hand and be in camp by this Monday. I would not hesitate select him 3rd overall. Otherwise I take Gore or Addai... Both of which, I believe will be solid... just not worthy of the 3rd overall pick.

+1, and now this seems to answer my thread Q also. I'm thinking this just elevates all QBs, and their relative differences are still the same. Unless I can snag Manning at 2.9 or 3.4 slot, I will wait until Rd 5 or 6 and still get a T1 or high T2 guy, assuming the other owners are thinking like me. Of course, thats a big risk with 2 newbies in our 12-teamer. Arrghh...

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Kansas City Chiefs and RB Larry Johnson have agreed in principle on a six-year deal. Financial terms are still not available, but it is believed Johnson will become one of the three highest paid backs in the league. He is expected to join the team Tuesday, Aug. 21.

Fantasy Impact: Good news for the Chiefs and Johnson owners. He should be fine to start the season, reporting to camp late but not too late. He remains a top-five back and great starting point for a fantasy team.

I think this draft position just got a little easier. Thanks to everyone that replied. I really do appreciate it.

I think this draft position just got a little easier. Thanks to everyone that replied. I really do appreciate it.

I assume you like SJax too, in case LJ goes at #2 now.....

Edited by Coffeeman