[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roethlisberger

CaptainHook

I know it's only pre-season, but I'm not sure Ben is any better than he was last year.

His interception in the first quarter was a horrible decision. And just now, before the FG, he missed a wide open Hines Ward in the end zone on second down. On third down, the Eagles blitzed, and he did the "flinch" move he was famous for last year. As soon as the ball leaves his hand, he turns his back to defender to protect himself. From a blitzing safety? Of course the pass was crap, and got tipped about 15 yards in the air. He used to be able to stand in the pocket and take contact. His first couple years, he would even make plays after contact. What's with this scaredy-cat crap?

I know it's only pre-season, but I'm not sure Ben is any better than he was last year.

His interception in the first quarter was a horrible decision. And just now, before the FG, he missed a wide open Hines Ward in the end zone on second down. On third down, the Eagles blitzed, and he did the "flinch" move he was famous for last year. As soon as the ball leaves his hand, he turns his back to defender to protect himself. From a blitzing safety? Of course the pass was crap, and got tipped about 15 yards in the air. He used to be able to stand in the pocket and take contact. His first couple years, he would even make plays after contact. What's with this scaredy-cat crap?

maybe we watched different games.....bad decision on the INT yes, but I believe his arm was hit to make it even look worse.

And you are nit-picking...you call him out on one pass he threw behind a guy and ....gasp he threw a ball that was tipped at the line. And what fricken QB does not protect himself from a blitzing safety. And maybe you didn't notice the plays he made scrambling.

Ben took them on 3 scoring drives and a drive that ended with a fumble at the 1 yards line. He passed for, like what? 250 yards in a half? 250 yards in a half in which they were simply running a normal offense not a come from behind garbage stats....and you say he doesn't look better than last year.

And to top if off you complain about the hat....ummm pretty easy to see we have a hater...

:D Talk about picking only the negative plays and leaving the positive ones out of the conversation. He threw for close to 250 in the half. I'll give you that his interception was an example of him trying to do too much. Yes, his elbow was hit when he threw, but, that will happen when three guys have a hold of you and you still try to force a pass. The Eagles sent the house on that play, and he needs to learn to get rid of the ball sooner or take the sack. He did have a few other passes off the mark as well. He has had a tremendous camp, and has looked better this pre-season. With the Steelers passing more, I expect much bigger things from him this year. Of course, he will have at least 3 or 4 incompletions minimum every game, so, you will still be able to come in here, cite them of examples of how poorly he played, and forget about the yards he was accumulating.

I'm more concerned about the fact he doesn't seem to want to stand in the pocket and make a play. As a QB, you gotta be able to stand there and take that hit. You aren't going to make the throw if you are falling away, turning your back to the play, trying to protect yourself. Especially from a guy like Consindine. I made the post right after that play. He went on to have a pretty decent evening. And I am not a Roethlisberger "hater". Never have been. But the flinching thing concerns me. It started last season. I thought it was because of the motorcycle accident, and I thought he'd be over it by now.

maybe we watched different games.....bad decision on the INT yes, but I believe his arm was hit to make it even look worse.

And you are nit-picking...you call him out on one pass he threw behind a guy and ....gasp he threw a ball that was tipped at the line. And what fricken QB does not protect himself from a blitzing safety. And maybe you didn't notice the plays he made scrambling.

Ben took them on 3 scoring drives and a drive that ended with a fumble at the 1 yards line. He passed for, like what? 250 yards in a half? 250 yards in a half in which they were simply running a normal offense not a come from behind garbage stats....and you say he doesn't look better than last year.

And to top if off you complain about the hat....ummm pretty easy to see we have a hater...

It must be Phil Simms making a cameo on our board. That guy is just angry at how much better Ben is than his sissy son.

Edited by davepro2

I'm more concerned about the fact he doesn't seem to want to stand in the pocket and make a play. As a QB, you gotta be able to stand there and take that hit. You aren't going to make the throw if you are falling away, turning your back to the play, trying to protect yourself. Especially from a guy like Consindine. I made the post right after that play. He went on to have a pretty decent evening. And I am not a Roethlisberger "hater". Never have been. But the flinching thing concerns me. It started last season. I thought it was because of the motorcycle accident, and I thought he'd be over it by now.

Fair enough. I understand if you posted it earlier in the night. As for the flinching, I do know what you are speaking of, and I remember it happening last year. I also saw it last night, so, I understand and agree with the concern. I'm hoping that it was pre-season concern by Ben, but, you would think it would be something the coaches would see and work on. Who knows though, they might have told him to try to avoid any direct hits ??? I never saw that in his first two seasons. In fact, I always admired his ability to stay in the pocket and make the throw despite knowing the hit was coming, during his first two seasons. Last year, it seemed to be off an on, and I saw the same thing last night.

Edited by Menudo

He is still trying to work his way up to Trent Dilfer like ability.

O-B-S-E-S-S-I-O-N

I'm starting to picture Bushwacked like Ray Finkle from Ace Ventura. With pictures of Roethlisberger, Cowher, and especially Bill Leavy on his wall. With Cheaters and Asterisks written in crayon all over the walls.

Edited by Menudo

If you want to see film of a QB flinching and ducking out or throwing it up in pure desperation.......just throw in the Steelers vs. Indy playoff game 2005...talk about a rattled QB. :D

actually, there is more of him just taking the sack. which is what Roethlisberger should do if he's not gonna stand in there and make the throw. The play I was referring to, after he released it, and ducked, the ball got tipped straight up, and very easily could have been another pick.

I don't think you want to turn this thread into a comparison of the two quarterbacks, Murf. I really don't.

Peyton is the worst flincher. :wacko:

Is Peyton playing in the NFL this year? How bout Vick? :D

You can't call Mike the highest paid QB anymore WaterMan. You know why? He ain't gettin' paid! In fact, he's gonna have to PAY the Falcons back. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

Fair enough. I understand if you posted it earlier in the night. As for the flinching, I do know what you are speaking of, and I remember it happening last year. I also saw it last night, so, I understand and agree with the concern. I'm hoping that it was pre-season concern by Ben, but, you would think it would be something the coaches would see and work on. Who knows though, they might have told him to try to avoid any direct hits ??? I never saw that in his first two seasons. In fact, I always admired his ability to stay in the pocket and make the throw despite knowing the hit was coming, during his first two seasons. Last year, it seemed to be off an on, and I saw the same thing last night.

Agreed. I was watching him closely last night. I've had several drafts where I had the opportunity to take Ben, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The interceptions scare me. I can see him putting up yardage again this year, but don't want a QB who leads the league in picks on my fantasy team. He had a bad one last night, and two more that could have very easily been picked as well. I just don't know if he's trying to do to much, or what it is.

Agreed. I was watching him closely last night. I've had several drafts where I had the opportunity to take Ben, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The interceptions scare me. I can see him putting up yardage again this year, but don't want a QB who leads the league in picks on my fantasy team. He had a bad one last night, and two more that could have very easily been picked as well. I just don't know if he's trying to do to much, or what it is.

Well, with the interception, he was obviously trying to do too much. It is a habit he absolutely has to break. In this offense, he has the talent to put up very good numbers, but, he needs to limit the silly mistakes. I truly think that he is a steal if you can get him in the #11-#15 range at QB, because, I think he has the potential to finish much higher than that. Trust me, the interceptions scare me as well.

I think Ben has some fantasy value this year finally.....they have a more explosive offense IMO and plan to throw more...

I have targeted Big Ben in a couple drafts this year as a later round QB with value but to no avail, I think this general thought (at least amongst Huddlers), is pretty typical.

Edited by bushwacked

I have targeted Big Ben in a couple drafts this year as a later round QB with value but to no avail, I think this general thought (at least amongst Huddlers), is pretty typical.

I nabbed him as a #3 QB in the 16th because I had Leinart and Schaub....

figured I'd roll the dice here and also consider Losman..