[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RBBC becoming accepted in fantasy?..

Avernus

I've noticed alot of RBBC backs being worth premium fantasy value....especially in PPR leagues...

MJD/FTaylor

Bush/Deuce

Dunn/Norwood

CTaylor/Peterson

Portis/Betts

Bush/MJD/Peterson/CTaylor all pose the threat of catching the ball and doing some damage with it...

is the key to RBBC backs the younger back that can catch?....because last year was the 1st year I saw so many backs sharing the load being able to still crack the stud category....

Bush is a stud in my local...MJD is a top 13 back as well....

plus the Vikings passing game is so horrid that I'd have to assume Peterson and CTaylor are Jackson's best targets at this point as they are primed for dumpoffs and can do the most with the ball...

I wanted to bring this up, but don't have the energy to really go deep into this...

but does anyone else think this is going to start more and more RBBC backs being able to crack the fantasy top 10...while you would have elite studs that seperate themselves from the pack?

The way I look at it is that every NFL team/head coach wants a good running game. They really do not care if that requires one back or three backs to create, they just want the best running game they can. In most RBBC scenarios, that is done because they do not have the one back that is good enough (or at least has the confidence of the coaches) to do all the roles of a RB. In a few cases, there is a true RBBC like in NO where they truly have complementary styles of the two backs they use. Bush could never get short yardage like McAllister who could never catch the ball and dance like Bush.

In the event a team believes they have two equal backs, then using them both gives them not only fresher legs deep into the season but means if one gets hurt the other is already up to speed. It's all about how good the RB is for a team. I honestly think that most all NFL teams would use one primary back very heavily if that was the most productive thing to do.

I also think it is notable that CHI and IND reached the Super Bowl with RBBC and once it was over, both teams immediately returned to having just one main back.

well, i think it's more a result of people (over)paying for "upside" with the MJDs, bushes, norwoods. we always fall in love with upside -- calvin johnson is such a sexier pick than hines ward. if fred/deuce/dunn don't produce or get hurt, you've got something there with those guys. if not....well, you've still got something, but probably not worth the pick you paid to get them.

but does anyone else think this is going to start more and more RBBC backs being able to crack the fantasy top 10...while you would have elite studs that seperate themselves from the pack?

Only in PPR leagues will the RBBC backs have a 1st round value. The fantasy community is coming around to the fact that there are really only 10-12 "above the crowd" running backs, and then a vast sea of RBBC backs - all ending up with fantasy numbers within a reasonable range of mediocrity. This fact was the impetus for the Drafting From the Basement article I wrote. You can't cram the RBBC crowd into the top of the draft, you go where the points are elsewhere.

I contend that the RBBC craze will only continue to devalue running backs after the mega-studs are gone in the first round.

The game is changing. Don't fight it.

Edited by rattsass

Only in PPR leagues will the RBBC backs have a 1st round value. The fantasy community is coming around to the fact that there are really only 10-12 "above the crowd" running backs, and then a vast sea of RBBC backs - all ending up with fantasy numbers within a reasonable range of mediocrity. This fact was the impetus for the Drafting From the Basement article I wrote. You can't cram the RBBC crowd into the top of the draft, you go where the points are elsewhere.

I contend that the RBBC craze will only continue to devalue running backs after the mega-studs are gone in the first round.

The game is changing. Don't fight it.

exactly...

I had Bush around 6th in my local because the scoring is like this for RB's

PPR

1pt per 10 rush yds

2pts per 10 rec/pass yds

6-9pts per rush TD (depending on distance)

9-12pts per rec/pass TD (depending on distance)

this favors backs like FWP/Bush/Westbrook and drops players like Rudi and SA I think....but Henry is somewhere in-between...

MJD lurks around the top 10 with this type of scoring as he's as lethal as Westbrook when catching out the backfield, although he doesn't have quite the catching ability Westy has....he still knows how to manipulate the blocks downfield...

MJD went for $35 ($150 cap) in our local auction. I got Fred Taylor late for $2. Also got DeShon and Lendale White for $2 each. Now that's a RBBC........

In my last draft I wound up with MJD and took F.Taylor later on. You can start them both to cover a bye, or if the injury bug hits you. Starting both McAllister/Bush would be the same, but you'll pay more for Duce. It also frees up a roster spot as you can actually play the cuff to cover byes.

Interesting that of the combos you list, only one has a high-power offense in NO. The rest are Os that could struggle a bit outside the run game. I wonder if some of this is just a function of some teams not having very good pass options... :D that is, the talented offensive cream rises to the top regardless of position if the HC is willing to use two backs...