[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seymour on the PUP?

CaptainHook

Ok, I've been out of town, maybe I've missed the topic, but Richard Seymour being on the PUP list is pretty big news. Combined with the fact that Harrison is out 4 games, Moss has barely played, and the Pats only kept two of their draft picks, makes for an interesting off-season for them.

Thoughts?

Yeah, it blows....at least Jarvis Green, who had a good season last year and is an up-and-comer on the DL, will fill in. Still, he's no Seymour (not many are) and this definitely hurts.

New England homers -

What can I expect out of the New England defense for the first six weeks? Will they still be a strong unit or is it time to look for another option until the pieces come back together?

Despite losing Seymour, I wouldn't downgrade them significantly. Still a lot of talent on that squad. They did just fine without Harrison last year.

Despite losing Seymour, I wouldn't downgrade them significantly. Still a lot of talent on that squad. They did just fine without Harrison last year.

I would. Losing Seymour and Harrison is a hugh blow. Slightly above average defense without those two guys IMO . . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I would. Losing Seymour and Harrison is a hugh blow. Slightly above average defense without those two guys IMO . . .

It'll definitely hurt, but Jarvis Green doesn't exactly suck. And they still have Warren and Wilfork. They got to the AFC Championship Game without Harrison last year. But Harrison is only out for the first four games and, IIRC, Seymour is eligible to come back in Week 6. They might get off to a slow start, but I wouldn't hit the panic button if I owned them in a fantasy league.

Problem is that Richard Seymour is one of the top 2 lineman in the league...

You can't come close to replacing him.

Seymour is better than Julius Peppers, Tommie Harris, Alex Brown, Marcus Stroud, or even Ty Warren? Maybe, but not by much.

Ty Law was one of the elite corners in the league three years ago and the Pats managed to win a SB with Randall Gay in his place. There's a ton of talent on that defense and they've shown that they can win at less than full strength.

Obviously, a lot depends on how long Seymour is out. If he misses the minimum of six games, I think that they'll still be a Top 4-7 defense. If he's more injured than they're letting on, they could easily slide back to a Top 12-15 unit.

And, of course, there are many other wild cards, like three of their four projected starting LBs being well into their 30s. A couple of injuries there and they're in a lot of trouble. And even after his suspension is up, Harrison (another aging guy) has had a ton of trouble staying healthy over the past couple of years. IMO, their potential problems go beyond losing Harrison and Seymour for the first four and six weeks, respectively.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Seymour is better than Julius Peppers, Tommie Harris, Alex Brown, Marcus Stroud, or even Ty Warren? Maybe, but not by much.

Ty Law was one of the elite corners in the league three years ago and the Pats managed to win a SB with Randall Gay in his place. There's a ton of talent on that defense and they've shown that they can win at less than full strength.

Obviously, a lot depends on how long Seymour is out. If he misses the minimum of six games, I think that they'll still be a Top 4-7 defense. If he's more injured than they're letting on, they could easily slide back to a Top 12-15 unit.

And, of course, there are many other wild cards, like three of their four projected starting LBs being well into their 30s. A couple of injuries there and they're in a lot of trouble. And even after his suspension is up, Harrison (another aging guy) has had a ton of trouble staying healthy over the past couple of years. IMO, their potential problems go beyond losing Harrison and Seymour for the first four and six weeks, respectively.

There is Richard Seymour, Julius Peppers, then everyone else...

And Ty Law was no longer an elite corner when the pats let him go.

I'm not saying that they need to be dropped in rankings, I'm just saying you can't replace him.

like three of their four projected starting LBs being well into their 30s.

splitting hairs, but colvin and adalius thomas are just 30 this year. bruschi and vrabel, sure, they're old men.

And Ty Law was no longer an elite corner when the pats let him go.

They let him go after he suffered a major foot injury (which he says took over a year to heal) and he still had double-digit INTs on a mediocre Jets defense with that bad foot the following year. Law sure looked like an elite corner right before the injury ('03 playoffs).

I'm not saying that they need to be dropped in rankings, I'm just saying you can't replace him.

I completely agree on that point. Not even Tank Johnson, a very solid DT in his own right, could replace what Tommie Harris brought to the table last year.

splitting hairs, but colvin and adalius thomas are just 30 this year. bruschi and vrabel, sure, they're old men.

Just out of curiosity, where does Seau fit into the mix? Is he going to be a situational player? And with Colvin and Thomas (presumably) starting at OLB, does Vrabel move back into the middle?

Just out of curiosity, where does Seau fit into the mix? Is he going to be a situational player? And with Colvin and Thomas (presumably) starting at OLB, does Vrabel move back into the middle?

As of the latest depth chart, Seau is backing up Vrabel at ILB....Thomas and Colvin start at OLB, Vrabel and Bruschi at ILB.

Edited by msaint