[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Apple Football Rumor Mill

Robash

Mike Garafalo's NY Giants blog

Manning's toughness underrated

Posted by Mike Garafolo September 11, 2007 1:20PM

Categories: Regular Season

Louis DeLuca/The Dallas Morning News

Okay, somebody take an X-ray of this pic and tell me if there's a "separation."

Lost in this day-to-day vs. week-to-week vs. month-to-month triangle match is one FACT:

Eli Manning is one tough SonOfAnArchie.

The kid suffered a sprained/separated/bruised/turf-burned shoulder, got up, went to the sideline, had about three seconds to decide whether or not to go back in the game and said, "Screw it, I'm in." Then, he went out and conducted another drive before calling it a night.

Wait, let me rephrase: He went out, completed all four of his pass attempts for 20 yards and a touchdown, and then called it a night.

When he got hit on the extra point attempt, I thought to myself, "Why is it that in games like this when everybody is getting hurt, Manning gets whacked but keeps getting up?" I could recall countless times where he got crushed and I thought to myself, "He's out for a couple weeks." But he gets up, adjusts his helmet and chinstrap and waits for the play call from the sideline.

And don't forget the time when Julius Peppers slapped his arm as he was throwing during a 2005 preseason game. All he did after that was come back and throw a 41-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer on his next attempt. Diagnosis the following day: Sprained elbow, out for the rest of the preseason.

It's a similar situation here, though this is the regular season and because of that, Manning will be back soon. In fact, I was speaking with someone today who is aware of the latest injury info and the person said Manning is "far more likely to play on Sunday than miss a month. It'll basically depend on how he feels and how he can throw it (in practice). He could play Sunday or he could not, but he should at least be back by the Redskins game."

Sounds like Manning has gotten the news from doctors -- and perhaps renowned orthopedist James Andrews -- that he's not risking further injury by playing. And that would mean it's simply a matter of how much pain he can endure. If that's the case, I'm betting on Manning. Like I said, he's shown us before he can handle pain.

And just like he's often Easy Eli when it comes to TDs or INTs, he won't let anyone in the stadium know how much he's really hurting.

One more thing to keep in mind as some of you folks are often quick to jump all over the team's medical and training staffs: Brandon Jacobs and Osi Umenyiora could have -- and probably should have -- suffered very serious knee injuries, but they didn't. Credit the training staff as well as both players' flexibility and off-season work for their likely missing only a few weeks here.

I mean, Umenyiora's knee ligaments must be like mini bungee cords to bend the way they did and not tear.

I didn't praise the O Line for their play on Sunday nor did I give Reuben Droughns the proper credit for taking on some lead blocks and sending defenders moving backward. Consider this their belated props.

MG

Garafalo is a beat writer for the Giants and usually if its true its here.

so please put all your Giants news and rumors here so we dont have 40000000 threads about them.

and to add another one to the mill, there is speculation that Kiwanuka is moving back to DE. Mike responded to a comment asking about this, his responce "Not yet. Coaches discuss that stuff on Tues and usually don't tell players til Wed."...so who knows.