[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting comment on '08 RBs from GBN

Bronco Billy

Never too early to start looking ahead, especially when it comes to the RB position. I've been seeing '08 as a RB-rich year, with some significant talent hitting the market at a time when a lot of NFL teams will be looking for a go-to RB.

Here's GBN's link to its early '08 RB evaluation:

link

And here's a comment that I found peculiar:

"Meanwhile, a trio of junior scatbacks including Steve Slaton of West Virginia, Rutgers' Ray Rice and Boise State's Ian Johnson each reminds observers of the next Reggie Bush, the second player taken at the 2006 draft."

Interesting in a couple of ways.

1) Mike Hart is left out of those 3 mentioned, even though he's ranked right in the thick of those three. Maybe it's the allusion to underclassmen and Hart is a senior, but he fits right in size-wise with those 3. That's the explanation I'm going with.

2) More importantly, what constitutes a featured RB size/weight to you guys? I see a RB being 5'-9" or 5'-10" and in the 205 to 210 lb range to be right in the wheel house for featured RBs in the NFL. I've posted a few times before that this is exactly the size/weight ratio of some particularly studly RBs in NFL history. And quite frankly, I don't see any of the 3 guys mentioned as being a "scatback" - with the implication being that those guys are CoP RBs who are used situationally.

BTW - I also think that the Bush comment is reaching, although I also think Bush is a different type of RB than these 3 guys and also that he has a height/weight ratio that does indeed make him more of a "scatback".

Thoughts?

If you've seen Slaton, you would know why they say Reggie Bush about him...

McFadden will be the first RB taken, I've saw him in person last year taking on my Gamecocks, and he is amazing. He will be the next LT, he can do everything. Run, Catch, AND Pass.

Edit: IF James Davis leaves early this year from Clemson, he will be the steal of the draft. I hate the Tigers, but he's a great back.

Edited by CD6405

I thought Hart was a senior, perhaps I'm wrong. I see him as a Round 3-4 guy. He might be that Rudi Johnson type that has to wait his turn, but eventually gets his shot. Hart's combine #'s do not figure to be great. One thing he does have going for him is his build (more specifically a very large lower half). Weight itself is overrated. It's how that weight is distributed on a player IMO.

I don't know that Ian Johnson has ever reminded me of Reggie Bush. Johnson is a good college RB that will be at best a 3rd down back in the pro's.

I think Slaton will have a lot of trouble in the pro's (very much like Bush has running the football). West Virginia runs by and large stretch plays. Where he may be able to beat the majorty of college backers to the end, these type college RB's don't translate well to the pro's (if they do at all, it isn't very quickly). I haven't had the opportunity yet to see Ray Rice as much so it wouldn't be fair to comment.

The jewel in 08 is McFadden. He's the one top of the line franchise back in the draft. Another guy I've liked personally is Jonathan Stewart of Oregon.

Edited by cory_n_az

I love me some talking about RB's about as much as you BB. The 3 I like are McFadden, Rice and Stewart.

Particularly when we have a year like next year coming up. There's lots of RB talent in the '08 class, and you have to figure the following teams will/may be looking for an influx of RB talent:

AZ - Edge getting old with little behind him

SEA - Alexander about to hit 30 yrs old, little behind him

GB - Is Jackson/Morency the answer for them at RB?

DET - Jones always hurt, throwing darts this year to replace him

CHI - If Benson isn't the answer?

TB - Caddy always hurt

ATL - Will Petrino get his muscle RB. Dunn is ancient

OAK - RB position is a mess

BAL - If McGahee is mediocre?

CLE - Lewis is getting old, and is hurt. No much behind him.

CIN - Need something behind an aging Rudi.

HOU - Green gets hurt a lot & is getting old for a RB

IND - needs something behind Addai

TEN - Don't have the right RB on their roster, had to go back to perpetually hurt Brown

JAX - taylor getting way old, can Jones-Drew take a full load for 16 games?

MIA - seem to be going away from Brown

Turner will fill one team's RB slot. There seems to be a lot of opportunity out there.

Particularly when we have a year like next year coming up. There's lots of RB talent in the '08 class, and you have to figure the following teams will/may be looking for an influx of RB talent:

GB - Is Jackson/Morency the answer for them at RB? -Jackson was just drafted, he will be given atleast a year...this is the team to most likely get Turner

DET - Jones always hurt, throwing darts this year to replace him - Tatum Bell is viable, and this will be a RBBC to keep Jones healthy

CHI - If Benson isn't the answer? - They won't draft another RB yet because they don't want to look wrong with Benson (ie. traded TJ)

ATL - Will Petrino get his muscle RB. Dunn is ancient - Jerious Norwood fits his scheme pretty well.

BAL - If McGahee is mediocre? - He's young, and he will be given the shot...look how long they kept the other crap skill players?

CIN - Need something behind an aging Rudi. - Kenny Irons would like a word (once he can play again)

IND - needs something behind Addai - Maybe at the end of the draft, but not a high draft RB contender, not enough cap.

TEN - Don't have the right RB on their roster, had to go back to perpetually hurt Brown. - They still like LenDale for some reason, and they drafted Henry.

JAX - taylor getting way old, can Jones-Drew take a full load for 16 games? You answered yourself with Jones-Drew

MIA - seem to be going away from Brown - Brown will stay there atleast another year, once again RBs are given a lot of opportunity.

Turner will fill one team's RB slot. There seems to be a lot of opportunity out there.

AZ

SEA

OAK

CLE

HOU

Maybe TB

are the only ones I see that are in need of a RB

Edited by CD6405

For what it's worth, here's guy who I see as being capable of being good featured RBs in the NFL:

McFadden (barring injury he's a future stud)

Rice - I like him a LOT, not nearly as much as McFadden, though

Stewart - I think he's got a lot of Steven Jackson in him

James Davis - right size, right talent, will fit a lot of systems

Torian - my sleeper of the bunch. He'll be overlooked because he plays at ASU

Lumpkin - For a team that's looking for a power RB who doesn't need to catch a lot, this guy can be a load (thinking ATL, especially given his college)

Guys I do see as CoP RBs:

Hart

Ian Johnson

Bernard

Little

Patrick

Savage

Guys who I still haven't decided whether they can tote a full load, but do have a lot of ability and will probably make a NFL roster as more than a special teamer. Even one of these guys would really thicken the upper featured RB list.

Slaton

Ore

Choice

For what it's worth, here's guy who I see as being capable of being good featured RBs in the NFL:

McFadden (barring injury he's a future stud)

Rice - I like him a LOT, not nearly as much as McFadden, though

Stewart - I think he's got a lot of Steven Jackson in him

James Davis - right size, right talent, will fit a lot of systems

Torian - my sleeper of the bunch. He'll be overlooked because he plays at ASU

Lumpkin - For a team that's looking for a power RB who doesn't need to catch a lot, this guy can be a load (thinking ATL, especially given his college)

Guys I do see as CoP RBs:

Hart

Ian Johnson

Bernard

Little

Patrick

Savage

Guys who I still haven't decided whether they can tote a full load, but do have a lot of ability and will probably make a NFL roster as more than a special teamer. Even one of these guys would really thicken the upper featured RB list.

Slaton

Ore

Choice

Get out of my head already would ya?