[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kellen Clemen

Endzone

If and when Clemen takes the field what is his value? Haven't seen him in action but it seems like at some point Pennington will either get yanked or get hurt again and Clemen becomes the full time starter. How do you see him performing and is he better talent than the rest of starting 2nd string QB's now starting or projected to assume the starting role (Lemon, Edwards, etc.)

FYI, It's Kellen Clemens. When the season started, I thought there was no way Clemens would sniff the field barring a Pennington injury. The Jets still have no running attack (and I posted here at great length warning people off T Jones since the Jets can't run block) and I expected the Jets to run their offense the same way they did last year, short dink and dunk passes, relying on Pennington's ability to make good reads and accurate throws.

But, two things happened to this little piggy on the way to the market this year. Teams have adjusted to these short out and over the middle routes, and DB's are jumping those routes. Secondly, the usually accurate Pennington has made some really awful throws. That combination has resulted in 5 INT's in the past two games. Big, game turning INT's. Still, expect Pennington to get the start agianst Philly. Having said that, if the Jets fall behind, don't be surprised to see Clemens come in.

The Jets are staring at a 1-5 record this week. Pennington is not the sort of QB who is very good at airing it out, trying to get his team back into the game. If they fall behind the Eagles......

I have both my starting QB's in a 16 team dynasty league on byes this week. I will activate Clemens off the taxi squad, and start him, on the chance he plays a half against the Eagles. A lot depends upon which McNabb shows up this Sunday. If he lights it up early, and the Jets are down 14 or more at the half.....

It's funny to read the beat reporters though.... talk about bandwagon jumpers, it's like musical chairs except with wagons. Clemens was this big disappointment, hadn't developed or improved, Jets were down on him.... then he has a nice preseason, and he's the next greatest thing in the history of the Jets franchise. He has the tools to be a good NFL QB. Strong arm, pocket presence, leadership ability, smart, can read the D, and his mechanics are sound. Pennington has done all he can to open the door for Clemens this year. This could be the week we get to see him.

Clemens has looked good in limited action and clearly appears to be the future. At least the Jets have a QB of the future. As for Pennington, the guy is simply limited and has a celing he's already hit long ago. What you see is what you get. Pennington can only take the Jets so far with that dink and dunk crap. If i sound like a crabby Dolphin fan, it's because I am. Screw the Jets!

I think part of the problem with the Jets running game and short passing game is Pennington's limitations. When there is no threat whatsoever of the deep pass, you shorten the field for the defense. If Clemens comes in and starts hitting C&C with some deep strikes, defenses will not be able to focus as much on the short game, and the running game and those short passes will be more effective. Just my theory.

I think part of the problem with the Jets running game and short passing game is Pennington's limitations. When there is no threat whatsoever of the deep pass, you shorten the field for the defense. If Clemens comes in and starts hitting C&C with some deep strikes, defenses will not be able to focus as much on the short game, and the running game and those short passes will be more effective. Just my theory.

You over state the arguement a bit, but I don't disagree. The first thing is that the Jets O line can't run block, and that is a fact, no matter who the QB is. Jets fans and people at large all blamed the RB's last year, and I still don't understand why. It was the O line last year, it's the O line this year. Look at a RB like Larry Johnson. He lost the core of his run blocking O line, and lost his stud status. Show me an O line that can't run block, and I'll show you an RB who puts up lousy numbers. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but it's still a rule, and a valid one.

Truth is, opponents have not been bringing 8 into the box. They don't have to. The standard front seven alignment for most teams can cover the gaps and close the running lanes against the Jets. What the opposing safeties are doing this year is playing close, but not in run defense, it's to defend against the short passing game. The Jets run game will stink all year, and that fact won't change no matter who the QB is.

What Clemens CAN bring, is getting those safeties to worry about the deep threat. Against the Jets, it isn't the safetoes or CB's getting the tackles, it's the DL and LB's. That has nothing to do with the running game per se. Clemens could potentially open the field for some big plays, which CAN help the play action some, but if you get an offer for T Jones jump on it. What you have seen for five games so far is what yer gonna get. A switch to Clemens could help the passing attack, but not the running game. LOL.... That's my theory.... :D

He sure looked good against the Baltimore D when Pennington left with an injury.

Yes he did.

I picked him up last night in one of my leagues, I'm really thin at QB and I'm hoping he'll get the nod sooner rather than later.

And yes, there were NO starting QBs left to pick up, even Croyle was gone :D