[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just something I read about T. Henry

RJV

Denver Broncos tailback Travis Henry, who is fighting a one-year ban for a repeat violation of the NFL substance abuse policy, would likely suffer significant financial losses if he is eventually suspended by the league.

Henry

Henry, 28, signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract with the Broncos in March, only days after the Tennessee Titans released him to avoid paying an $8 million roster bonus that he was due early in the month. The contract with the Broncos includes language that stipulates Henry must repay a $6 million signing bonus, or whatever portion of it he has been paid, if he is suspended for drugs at any time during the term of the deal.

To date, Henry has received $2 million of the signing bonus. Another $1 million is due in November, and the final $3 million installment is due to be paid in March 2008.

In an affidavit filed as part of his lawsuit to try to block the NFL's testing of the so-called "B-sample" of his urine specimen, Henry stated: "If I fail this test, I will be suspended for one year from my employment, and will be obliged to repay all signing bonuses paid to date."

The Broncos would probably withhold future installments of the signing bonus if Henry is suspended. If his case is not resolved quickly and Denver is forced to make payments on the rest of the signing bonus, the Broncos would then seek to recover that money if Henry does not prevail in court and is eventually banned for a year.

But the potential forfeiture of the singing bonus is just part of the financial ramifications that could impact Henry if he is suspended.

According to salary documents obtained by ESPN.com, Henry's contract also calls for a $6 million option bonus due in the spring of 2009. The Broncos almost certainly would not pay that bonus if he is suspended.

The option bonus is guaranteed for "injury only," meaning that, if the Broncos failed to exercise it, the only way they would be liable for the $6 million is if Henry had suffered a career-ending injury.

So far this season, in addition to the $2 million in signing bonus money, Henry has earned $135,000 of his $595,000 base salary for 2007 and collected a $100,000 offseason workout bonus. The Broncos can not recover any of the base salary or workout bonus money. And Henry will make an additional $35,000 for every week that he is on the roster, which also would not be subject to recovery if he earns it.

Because he is a vested veteran, Henry's base salary for 2007 is guaranteed. But if Henry is suspended without pay, the sanction overrides the guarantee.

His base salaries for future seasons, which obviously would be jeopardized by suspension, are $730,000 for 2008, $1.375 million in 2009, $2.4 million in 2010 and $3.9 million in 2011. There are offseason workout bonuses of $100,000 for each of those seasons. And in the final two seasons of the contract, there are roster bonuses of $500,000 each. All of that money could be at risk.

Loss of income could also affect Henry's ability to meet certain legal responsibilities. In a child-support action in Georgia earlier this year, it was revealed that Henry has fathered nine children by nine different women. Courts in several jurisdictions have ordered him to make child-support payments for seven of the children.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Now If I am reading this correctly, it would seem in the Bronco's BEST INTEREST is not to play him. If they do and he gets hurt with a carreer ending injury, they are contracted to pay him alot of cash. This wouldnt escape me by thinking this guy, T Henry, who has 9 bastard children by 9 different women and has been caught before with marajuana, would go to the lengths of trying to "GET PAID"

In my mind, Henry really isnt a model citizen by no means. Now I know what your thinking, Im a Young owner sure, and yes I would love to have Henry out, but think of it, the Brocos have alot riding on this piece of dirt who decides that smoking pot again, outwieghs the millions of dollars he would get by playing a spot he is great at. :D

Edited by RJV

Henry's best option right now is to play and then somehow tempt defenders into seriously injurying him. I wonder if he could collude with someone on an opposing team... "Hey Tank, if take a good hard shot at my knee this week I'll buy you a new Ferari." :D

Denver Broncos tailback Travis Henry, who is fighting a one-year ban for a repeat violation of the NFL substance abuse policy, would likely suffer significant financial losses if he is eventually suspended by the league.

Henry

Henry, 28, signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract with the Broncos in March, only days after the Tennessee Titans released him to avoid paying an $8 million roster bonus that he was due early in the month. The contract with the Broncos includes language that stipulates Henry must repay a $6 million signing bonus, or whatever portion of it he has been paid, if he is suspended for drugs at any time during the term of the deal.

To date, Henry has received $2 million of the signing bonus. Another $1 million is due in November, and the final $3 million installment is due to be paid in March 2008.

In an affidavit filed as part of his lawsuit to try to block the NFL's testing of the so-called "B-sample" of his urine specimen, Henry stated: "If I fail this test, I will be suspended for one year from my employment, and will be obliged to repay all signing bonuses paid to date."

The Broncos would probably withhold future installments of the signing bonus if Henry is suspended. If his case is not resolved quickly and Denver is forced to make payments on the rest of the signing bonus, the Broncos would then seek to recover that money if Henry does not prevail in court and is eventually banned for a year.

But the potential forfeiture of the singing bonus is just part of the financial ramifications that could impact Henry if he is suspended.

According to salary documents obtained by ESPN.com, Henry's contract also calls for a $6 million option bonus due in the spring of 2009. The Broncos almost certainly would not pay that bonus if he is suspended.

The option bonus is guaranteed for "injury only," meaning that, if the Broncos failed to exercise it, the only way they would be liable for the $6 million is if Henry had suffered a career-ending injury.

So far this season, in addition to the $2 million in signing bonus money, Henry has earned $135,000 of his $595,000 base salary for 2007 and collected a $100,000 offseason workout bonus. The Broncos can not recover any of the base salary or workout bonus money. And Henry will make an additional $35,000 for every week that he is on the roster, which also would not be subject to recovery if he earns it.

Because he is a vested veteran, Henry's base salary for 2007 is guaranteed. But if Henry is suspended without pay, the sanction overrides the guarantee.

His base salaries for future seasons, which obviously would be jeopardized by suspension, are $730,000 for 2008, $1.375 million in 2009, $2.4 million in 2010 and $3.9 million in 2011. There are offseason workout bonuses of $100,000 for each of those seasons. And in the final two seasons of the contract, there are roster bonuses of $500,000 each. All of that money could be at risk.

Loss of income could also affect Henry's ability to meet certain legal responsibilities. In a child-support action in Georgia earlier this year, it was revealed that Henry has fathered nine children by nine different women. Courts in several jurisdictions have ordered him to make child-support payments for seven of the children.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Now If I am reading this correctly, it would seem in the Bronco's BEST INTEREST is not to play him. If they do and he gets hurt with a carreer ending injury, they are contracted to pay him alot of cash. This wouldnt escape me by thinking this guy, T Henry, who has 9 bastard children by 9 different women and has been caught before with marajuana, would go to the lengths of trying to "GET PAID"

In my mind, Henry really isnt a model citizen by no means. Now I know what your thinking, Im a Young owner sure, and yes I would love to have Henry out, but think of it, the Brocos have alot riding on this piece of dirt who decides that smoking pot again, outwieghs the millions of dollars he would get by playing a spot he is great at.

I hear ya screamin. Why some of these guys continue to blaze away when it puts them at risk of losing their careers and MILLIONS of dollars is absolutely incomprehensible to me. Weed is not that friggin powerful! Leave the chit alone for a couple years and then retire and smoke until your lungs are as black as football cleats if you want to.

Idiots! :D

I hear ya screamin. Why some of these guys continue to blaze away when it puts them at risk of losing their careers and MILLIONS of dollars is absolutely incomprehensible to me. Weed is not that friggin powerful! Leave the chit alone for a couple years and then retire and smoke until your lungs are as black as football cleats if you want to.

Idiots! :D

+1

Right, so it still stands what I said, Its in thier best interest not to play this clown.

All this is questionable, but based on what GK Trey is saying, a suspension at any time, even is he is injured would cause him to forfeit the signing bonus.

As for the option bonus, from the article it sounds like that's only recovered by playing through the contract to 2009, or a career-ending injury before that - not just a season ending one. The odds of that happening are much less.

In any case, if you're a Young owner and sweating Henry's outcome enough - you could probably just deal for him at 25 cents on the dollar. I'm a Henry owner, it wouldn't take much of an offer for me to part with him.

I am sorry I drafted this Josh Gordon-head obviously, it's not exactly like he was putting up great FF numbers anyway to begin with.

But it's odd Denver would pay him with all his baggage. I think it would be nicer if he was cut from Tenn and then had to work for minimum money.

I don't know if he blazed up but let's assume he did (most likely). This is the prime earning time he'll ever have. If he forfets $5M+ that's enough for most people can live on for the rest of their life. He could have smoked joints morning to night for the rest of his life starting from when he was 36 years old (or so), but now he's going to be huring for money his whole life just b/c he could't stay off the chronic.

Edited by rai